LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timber species lures for expo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:54am
Brad, you're a better man than me tackling that Sheoak, when Bruce gave it to me he mentioned a hacksaw in order to cut.
Thanks must go to Bruce Moller for Flame Sheoak, he sourced from a woodworking factory in Tolga on FNQ Tablelands. The King Billy Pine from a mate of his in Tassie. The end grain (sorry) Avocado, was left over from a piece Lofty sent me last year. Made three lures with the grain, couldn't bring myself to throw it out.
You've done it all justice, looking forward to the display at the Expo.
Told Bruce when he gave me the Sheoak, no way I'm tackling that with my handtools.LOL
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:22am
Brad , they are all stunning , but I love the flame sheoak . Thumbs Up
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 5:24pm
Thanks for all the favourable comments guys 66 this display is as much a product of your commitment to lure crafting as it is of my hands.
Seems Aaron (Fletch) has disappeared from the scene which is a shame, great artist and not a 1/2 bad lure maker either.
So I need help with a small chunk of Western Red Cedar and Hoop Pine, or even a point in the right direction to source some in Brissie.

Cheers Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 6:53pm
Spoke to Aaron 2day Darby he has got it ready to be posted but he needs your address so he can post them off.If you need contact details for him PM me and  will gladly pass on for ya.Yes hes still hard it maken lures and painting them for those people that are interested.

Cheerz Errol
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 7:47pm
All done for ya Brad Thumbs Up
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 7:49pm
Thanks Errol, you're a champ Clap

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:09pm
The timber species lures are all done, mounted on backing board, just need to make a header card  and some name tags for them. 43 species in all, and I know I've only scratched the surface, but I went for timbers easily available to the average joe.

will post up some more detailed shots when camera recharges

Brad

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:26pm
WOW stunning mate,,,now that would look great in the collection,well done Brad sweet as,,Gary
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:23pm
Well done Brad,excellent work . Can`t wait to see some close ups,magnificent display.Gee we`ve got some great timbers. Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:49pm
Nice display Brad!
cheers steiny
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:38pm
Hope these give a better look at the grains and colours

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:50pm
There's a couple more I could have sent but thought you may have had them , some good mates from school I'm still best mates with who know there timbers ... Chippys from way back . My age ... Lol ... Look forward to see what you have in the line up mate .... Good stuff .... Hopefully fitzy knocks it out next year and I will be in full swing .... That fitzy seems a top bloke from what I've worked out along the way .... Look forward to his show ......
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:56pm
Aaron, you'd have to go a long way to find a nicer bloke, I've known Gaz for more than 20 years and he's always put in the hard yards for fishing, particularly in Freshwater. He is straight up and you get what you see, no crap, no excuses. He has had some personal family issues whilst all this organising has been happening as well as site hassles of his own, so I reckon he has done a mighty effort to get the Expo where it is at the moment. He is even taking next week off work to make sure it all comes together on the days.

See you in just over a week mate Thumbs Up

Brad

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:27am
Yeah mate thought that when he call last week . At hervey bay all week over this rain then hit noosa for a night and probally call in on him for a few hours before we hit sea world with the kids for a few days , then work out a caravan park to stay over expo time .... Good man that one
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 6:27am
A credit to you Brad,excellent work and great display mate...well done Thumbs Up

Mick!!!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:24am
They "Pop" on that back ground, and nice to see clear names on each one.  Great effort.
 Thanks Brad
Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:11pm
Brad,

What spectacular effort, I'm sure it will be one of stars of the show.
How did you go with Paulownia? I was talking to QLD surfboard maker today that can supply it. I have a test piece on its way to me, if you would like contact info let me know, cheers Mark
Sav63[/
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:06pm
Mark, I would like to get hold of some to try. Unless I want to buy a cubic metre, no bugger wants to talk to me LOL
PM me the details please Thumbs Up
Brad

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:16am
Brad, just digging this one up again as it is brilliant! Just wondering if you still have the board, and if so will you be taking it to the expo this year?

Cheers,

Matt
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 5:17pm
Matt, I still have it and I've had it at every one so far. Will have it again at this years.

aster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 6:48pm
WOW!!!! that would be spectacular just as it is on a display board.
Chris
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:11pm
Brad i could get you some paulownia if you want....the guy that makes the boards is a friend of a friend.....just lete know i will chase it up.
Did you do camphor laurel.?...i got nice bits of that.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:28pm

Jas, second from bottom left hand side column

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:40pm
Last year I did a similar display for our lovely handbrake

It now resides at Glenlyon.

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 8:50pm
Nice and Wow! That is great work! Looking forward to seeing at least one of those in the flesh.

Really appreciate all your info on timbers on here, and to see them in nude lure form really brings them to life.

Ta,

Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:25pm
that's stunning Brad,theres a lot of work in that one mate
that's no how ye make porridge!
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 7:05am
Brad took smaller display stands to the 2013 expo to sell so I commissioned him to do a giant stand and I'd pick it up 2014 expo. He did an excellent job.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:04pm
Brad, recently came by a bit of Seqouia (Californian Redwood), I've made a few nudes, too nice to paint. Can post you a piece down if you'd like it ?, very soft and light easy to work.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic