LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Trolling Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep water Trolling!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:53pm
WAL would that be over the top of them tombstones broWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

BASS lures to troll 50 to 90 feet glenbawn basin & etcWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob

That brings back some memories Wobert, just north of the wall, opposite the boat ramps, sitting in 80ft of water, dropping 3" Sliders on 1/4oz heads into the tops of gum trees 25 feet below..

.....jig..jig.....awww crap I am on........wind wind, thumb lock, rod buckles......ahhhh got him Clap
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 10:15pm
THATS were they are brad spent 2 week there last year & didnt go out of the basin fish every were WinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by NB96 NB96 wrote:

Hey Fellas,

Of late I have been doing a lot of exploring some new water which hold deep water rock bars and structure which will hold Barra and threadies... After several runs over the areas I have been able to consistently mark good fish and bait on the sounder... These rock bars are anywhere from 5m to 10m below the boat....

This is where I have hit a problem... So far I have spent over 100 bucks buying deep diving trolling lures which include: 120mm 5m and 8m+ RMG Scorpians and 20+ Killa lure River Rats.....

These lures are still at times not making it to where the fish are!!!

So am chasing some suggestions on lures (trolling lures) that will dive 8m-11m???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers Nick
i tested my lure out made with tentifeild metal bib, soldered tow , split ring through tow behind bib , swivel , and sinker , snaged the bottom at 21metres , as this is a sinking lure with a shimmy action, acan be cast out , let it sink too the bottom and retreived, starts shimmy on drop
Gopsy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 12:00am
Try one of those from Rapala , Mastuzo or luckyJohn 
http://topfishingbox.com/lures.php?mode=more&id=1716
http://topfishingbox.com/lures.php?mode=more&id=14326
http://topfishingbox.com/lures.php?mode=more&id=14365
http://topfishingbox.com/lures.php?mode=more&id=14014

Depending on speed and line length they going up to 12m, I usualy trol ~40-70 away and with 2,5-5 km/h speed depend on fish and fish activity.

Also you can use troling sinkers  at http://www.cabelas.com you can find them, so you can use other shallower lures, like spiners etc. I adding ~2m fluocarbon lead after sinker.

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 1:18am
Snapweights could be a good option.
Google that and look for the Off Shore Tackle pdf.

I've used them a fair bit pre-downrigger days.
Gopsy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 6:11pm
Most important choose which on load (when you pull the fish)  switches straight, because if not then very hevy and very big load or just use straight connected.   
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:39am
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Simons right Nick try running your lures way back on the finest line you can get away with.i know the lure you need its a Manns 30+ ,i got one hanging up in my shed if you want it (dont think they make them any more).

I believe the olders Mann's 30+ is now the "Depth Plus 30+". Check on this page...

http://store.mannsbait.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66&limit=100
chooka44 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chooka44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:50pm
Deep 11cm Rapala Taildancers will hit 30ft easilly
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:32pm
NEVER SEEN one show one ya gun ==== bob
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:07pm
a downrigger is the best way to go.
but, I still just run anywhere from 1 0z, 2 oz, and 3 oz slip weights on the line about 6-7' ahead of the lure for most my fishing in depths down to 50' or so.
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:40pm
G'day NB96

Troll with the current & sufficient speed to still control the lure/line you are trolling the rock bar, lure depth will increase dramatically,but be prepared to lose some lures depending on the structure if you reach the required depth, there is a lot less chance of backing lures up in this method of trolling. As others said drop back, leader size, braid size will also have an effect, if you are running a double I would try deleting that & just try a reverse albright or similar to attach your braid to your leader, good luck beating the rock bar depth, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:46pm
These Jigwobblers are a Finnish-made lure with a lead head and a timber body.  I've made a few of my own copies for snook once the weather warms up again.  They get deep and have an interesting action. There's some vids on youtube showing them swimming.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JIGWOBBLER-29gr-8cm-BLUE-SILVER-/121188367646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item1c3763bd1e
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:12am
here's the in-line slip-weights that I use.
they just clip and slide on your line to where you want it, and it doesn't add any resistance when fighting the fish.
I just make sure to place it close enough to the lure so that when reeling the fish in, the weight doesn't get to the rod and your fish is still too far out there.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:15am
other alternatives to a down-rigger for getting far deeper than just some smaller weights are dipsy divers, pink lady's, and deep-six's.
these are far superior to adding weight because they pull your lure down to a desired depth and keep it there, then, when a fish strikes, the pull on the line unclips a mechanism on the device and straitens it so that it's resistance and drag is then gone for fighting the fish.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:18am

that's the dipsy diver.
and it can be also adjusted to pull out to either side as well.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:20am
this is the pink lady.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:22am
and this is probably the best one I think.
the deep-six.
different sizes run you to different depths, I think down to 60 feet.

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:07am
Has anyone suggested Barrabaits 12+, or the deeper version I am not whether its 15 or 20 +, and Tillson
The older I get the more I learn.
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:50pm
These beaded kealed trolling sinkers are great. I bought mine on line from the states. You can get them up to 8 oz, troll them behind a 3 metre leader i found successful.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:56am
Originally posted by rickyb62 rickyb62 wrote:

These beaded kealed trolling sinkers are great. I bought mine on line from the states. You can get them up to 8 oz, troll them behind a 3 metre leader i found successful.

great ideaThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:38pm
I know this is an old thread, but always handy when others are looking for ideas
Another idea I'm about to try as well are Planers, I know not big in Oz but I really think there worth a go.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 3:48pm
I’m looking at getting into deep water trolling as I see a lot of fish on my sounder much deeper than my lures reach. I’ll be reading this post again to get ideas. I have one of those planing thingamabobs somewhere 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:28pm
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:31pm
Hi Mate
Planer I posted below is apparently the go, don't think you can get them in Oz, not 100% on that. Ive just bought 2 on Amazon. Big in the US, plenty of Utube clips and info on rigging them either on your rod or using them as a "Poor Mans Downrigger"
Im keen to get home and give them a run myself
Good luck
Rick

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:40pm
There are some good budget options here.  But if you're going to be doing it a lot, just go for a decent downrigger I reckon.
They are quick to deploy and provide very accurate depth control.
I don't know anyone who has fitted a downrigger, actually used it, and regretted it.
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:30pm
With you 100% on that one
unfortunately very hard to pick one up in my neck of the woods (Thailand) 
so I'm making do with the next best options I guess
I've used a Down Rigger on a mates boat in Oz, I think there great too
Just picked up a couple of Sea Striker Planners, so I'm hoping they will do the trick for me.
Chasing some Kings in some deeper water
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:28pm
Hi Ricky
Don`t want to butt in here, and the guys on here would be much greater and have more accurate assistance on trolling lures than me. So most of what I say can be taken lightly.
That said I am not to sure that the metal plates you have ordered will do what you are looking to do.
They look very similar to some that were marketed in SA quite a few years back as paravanes
These can be set to troll to whatever depth you desire and will do this without a problem. The main line with a lure can be attached to the paravane through a quick release clip and run back behind the paravane.
The problem you may inure is that a lure with the slightest of weight or resistance in the water pulls or tilts the back of the paravane down, which tilts the forward part of the paravane up resulting in the paravane being dragged to the surface
We often just run a single hook with a fish air bladder attached or a slither of white plastic cut from the side of an litre icecream container
Hope I have this wrong, but if I have not it may be worth a try
Kimo
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:40pm
Hi Kimo
no problem at all, that what this is all about (for me anyway) getting idea's and sharing experiences. I have read that depending on what you trolling, it can trip the planer (called paravanes as well)
Im sure they are the same
Different brands different quality as well (like anything)
Apparently if trolling hard bodies, if you used deep divers ie: Magnum XRap etc they have a tendency to trip the planer. So non deep diving hard bodies, strip baits, spoons, basically anything that has minimal resistance are ok.. (I hope)
Proof will be in the eating as they say, Im looking forward of getting home to give them a crack
I will leave some feedback after I have had a crack
Cheers
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic