LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoration possibility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoration possibility?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:58pm
Hey folks
Many years ago - probably 18-20 - I came across a big old timber popper on the bank of a favourite estuary.  It's about a 6" bugger, and knowing the area, would have to assume it floated quite a ways from where it busted off to the tidal flat I found it on.
Anyway, the paintwork was pretty banged up, and I didn't really fish with big lures (still dont often) but I held on to it. 
Along the way, I took the chipped paint away and repainted it with house paint, and then sprayed on a red head with an auto spray can. (Copying the classic colour scheme I'd seen in so many fish jaws in magazines.)
Anyway, I've rediscovered it while rummaging through a box of large lures since I'm planning to head North for a fish soon.
I can't help wondering what might be underneath!

Is it worth trying to strip it back?  Or will it be likely completely degraded underneath?  Are there any identifying marks/shapes on a big old popper that would be identifiable without the paint?

Maybe I should take it North as is, and see if a few barra will help me strip the new paint...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic