LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures > Reidys
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Jiggy with it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Editor Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Jiggy with it!
    Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:50pm
This jigging caper is pretty new to me, but since moving to Maningrida, I figured I was in a pretty good place to give it a go.
My first trip was out wide and I had a ball chasing a number of species including queenfish, mackerel, sweetlip, cobia and trevally.

This morning, I figured I would do something a little different and went to go jigging for jewfish in the river. I recently got hold of some of the new Reidy's jigs so figured this would give them a good run.
While the fish were small, I had a ball. I managed a jewfish, blue salmon, and cod. I tried for barra but couldn't get them to eat the jig today.
I have posted a few pics........
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 9:25pm
It's a tough life you have there.

Nice fish on the jigs.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 9:55pm
Sounds like a nice fishing session Ant - thanks for the great report Thumbs Up

Those Reidys Jigs look good, I might have to get a couple to try out!

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 11:05pm
NICE fish ant have ya had a go at the knife jigs they seem to be very hot at the moment down here with the blue water crews smashin some nice kingfish offshore on the reefs ???? REGARDS BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileCoolCoolCool
Editor Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Editor Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 9:56am
Tony,
As I may have mentioned, I am only new to the jigs but they have certainly proven to me that they can catch fish. The times that I have been out have been with other mates who use bait. I refuse to.
So far, the size of the fish on jigs has been larger than the fish caught on bait so that is a good sign.

Bassnbob,
From what I understand, the knife jigs are better for deeper water. I am jigging no deeper than 40-50 foot. Yesterdays session was in 22ft in a river.
I have some knife jigs here but have not had a need to try them yet.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 3:13pm
Never thought of trying jigs in dirty water, rivers etc.
Always used in deeper blue water.
Proves one needs to keep experimenting hey?

cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:34am
THIS has opened my eyes JEWIES on jigs sounds like a plan to me boys.........WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileApproveApproveApproveApproveApprove
Editor Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Editor Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:03am
Yeah, it has changed my opinion on the jigs. Everything you read is about deep water jigging or jigging in the bluewater.
Why can't it also work in the estuaries?

I am sure that if there were appropriately made jigs, then species like mangrove jack, barra and even bream would become available.

Like I said in another post, anglers need to think outside of the square and try things that are a little 'different'.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:01am
I think your on the the money there ANT ..& expermention is the mother of all lure design i think ....REGARDS BOB........WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkApproveApproveApprove
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 10:38am
Just adding a few more images to my original post. Recent captures with the Reidy's jigs over the last week up here included tricky snapper and golden snapper to name a few. Here is a shot of Larry Lockwood (from LJ Custom Rods) with a nice tricky on one of the Sea Bugs.
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:43am
Mate great fish, those jiggy things work down here also on the flathead in the lakes and riversSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:09pm
Thanks Gary,
I never would have thought of using the jigs on flathead. It is amazing just how many species there are that will eat these type of jigs.

I have some video footage uploaded to my site (www.cruisecastcatch.com) that features some of the jigging action from up here.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 5:15pm
Cry SHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! you guys , ya givin away the crown jewels...Angry if the white bucket brigade finds out about shallow water jigging, we'll be stuffed.
so if any are watching....ITS ALL BULLDUST>>>>YA NEED AT LEAST 80 METRES OF WATER, KNIFE JIGS AT LEAST 300GM IN WEIGHT AND RODS AND REELS THAT WILL MAKE THE BANK MANAGER SWOON !!!!
seriously though, Daiwa, Zest, and Surecatch make some great little jigs in the 50-80g range that will do the job in most estuaries and bays. Just upgrade the hooks to the real deal.

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 8:33am
THE inshore shallow jiggin thingy has caught on big time around newy &port stephens every man &his dog are into it nowWinkWinkWinkWinkTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueShockedShockedregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:27pm
Them dogs are pretty smart down your way B.O.B.Wink,........ you been learning off them?LOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:29pm
P.S. be careful of fleas mateWink
Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:29pm
ONLY the fluffy ones martinWinkWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLEmbarrassedEmbarrassedregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:31pm
LOLthat was quickLOL
Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:35pm
THE size decieves em all old grey grasshopperConfusedConfusedConfusedLOLLOLLOL
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm
NINJA B.O.B.LOL
Martin-

Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:46pm
This man and his dog is about to give the inshore jig thing a crack as well. Wink

Got a light 10kg jig rod in transit for a trip over Yorkes in a couple of weeks.

Going to see if I can get a snapper or two to eat a jig on a couple on inshore marks we fish.  Should work ok. Used to jig plastics and lead baitfish  for jewies around the Port back in the 80's and did reasonably.

At least the XOS bluethroats that seem to stalk me over there might bugger off for a while!

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:55pm
YES YES YES the snapper jiggin bug sounds coolClapClapClapClapClapregards bob
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 5:17pm
G'day Ant

Great location around Maningrida & surrounding rivers & reefs for all sorts of fishing, we used to catch a lot of Black Jewfish on lures when I was guiding there for Russel Kenny, mainly around the 12-18kg mark which is pretty normal size for the Territory with the odd larger one thrown in. The most consistent area for Black Jewfish in the Liverpool was the rockbar on the opposite side of Bat Island looking from Maningrida, its located about the middle of the island & about mid channel, couldn't tell from the photo if you were fishing it, sort of lines up with the higher trees (Gums off memory) on the island, also really good for class Barra on towards the top of the tide & the turn. Another small rock ledge is located just up stream on the right hand side, pretty small & hard up against the channel bank (not visible on the bank)great for Barra, but used to hook all sort of critters there, but there are plenty of other rock bars in the system. Entrance Island etc should give you heaps of options for Barcheek Coral Trout etc on your jigs, we mainly targeted Barra for our clients, blue water wise my favourite place was the volcanite type of rocky reef located not far westish of Entrance island, loaded with all of the Mack species,all Trevally types & reefies etc, down side was the Whaler Sharks were starting to like an easy feed on hooked fish, another lure gone. Enjoy your time there, it truly is an exceptional area for anyone lucky enough to fish & or just experience the place, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic