LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Usefull publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenlyon Dam 1989

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glenlyon Dam 1989
    Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:04am
Close on 25 years since article written, what are the changes has the re stocking worked in the area.
A relatively  young dam at the time. 

Watch the kangaroo. Appears nothing changed.LOL

Many of the members have visited the dam through the years and have enjoyed the hospitality of Brian and Debbie Dare.
Some interesting trips (snow, sleet, perhaps fog ) would have been experienced, with many big ones getting away.
Yak fishing during the period has no doubt become more popular as well.
Plenty of wild life should be found as well.
regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 12:17pm
From memory, I first fished Glenlyon Dam about that time, borrowed a 9ft inflatable dinghy, whacked on a 6 hp O/board and spent the weekend onsite. Caught my first Yellowbelly on a Chartreuse and Black Manns 20+ within sight of the boatramp on the first day. Got Deb to weigh it gutted and it went 11lb, she reckoned with the guts it probably weigh a couple of pound more. I ran into a couple of lads I had met before in the fish stocking and sports fishing circles and had some good yaks around the fire.

2nd trip a year or so later, was with my Coleman Crawdad punt (still with the 6hp) and ran into a bunch of guys I knew again, Les Kowitz (FFSAQ) and Flick Robertson (Flicks lures) Lloyd Wilman and a John Wade from Beenleigh, had a couple of great days capped off by meeting Peter Newell who was fishing with them for the day. We ended up way out the back of the dam catching YB by casting into the steep banks being exposed as the water dropped...amazing session... double and triple hook up were common...one of John Wade's YB was so hungry all you could see of a Manns 15+ was the end of the bib Shocked

Have done a few trips since but has been at least 20years since I fished it, which I hope to rectify soon.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 1:15pm
20 YEARS, get your act together brad, give yourself an uppercut and get out there and fish. i'm going for a few days in august and a week in October, which I reckon is the best time of year there....mick
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:09pm
Yeah, great article for sure...enjoyed the read! I may have to plan a return trip myself!
cheers steiny
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:18pm
Nowadays ,say from Stanthorpe what is the approximate time to the dam/camping ground..

regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 3:07pm
Depends if you take the main highway toward Tenterfield or the back road, while the back road takes longer, I quite like the scenery. Via the highway I think it's about 60mins or so towing a boat.

Brad

bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 3:28pm
Great seeing those old articles. Thanks for sharing.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 4:13pm
Stanthorpe to Glenlyon dam via Tenterfield= 135kms. Stanthorpe to Glenlyon dam via the texas road= 92kms. don't drive the back way early morning or late afternoon unless you've got a good bulbar. I hit a roo on the way home last time, if it wasn't for the bulbar, I don't think i'd be driving the same vehicle now.......mick
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 5:49pm
"Via the highway I think it's about 60mins or so towing a boat."
Ermm maybe it was 60mins the back way and 80mins the highway (none of the boats I tow really slow the car down).... don't do the math Officer Wink

Agree with Mick on the hoppers...either way really, but the back way is worse..even mid afternoon they can get a bit too close.

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:26pm

Thanks for the approx travelling times.                                                                                        Strike  any fog on the water. Can be a bit hairy at times if you are not sure where you are before it hits,

Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:36pm
LOL simple answer to that John, fish 'bankers hours' Wink

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:38pm
Nothing wrong with Bankers hours beats workingWink
I like your thinking Brad.
Regards John
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:57pm
Memories thanks John. That was a whopper YB that Simone Mc from Gundi caught, and 25 years on she still holidays here with her family and friends.The other photo is Graeme Tshirpig and his Dad and he still calls us friends and is going on a fishing adventure with Brian in 2 weeks time. He's game.
Some things have changed though. We haven't had hire tents since 1993 when we got our first 4 cabins, then 6 more 1996 and 4 more 2010. Yes we have fuel, yes we have freezer space for your catch and yes 44 powered sites. Actually unpowered sites are becoming popular again and campers come equipped with solar panels.
Fish catches have definately improved and no wonder with 2.5 million fish stocked since 1989 not to mention bred here as well.
Glenlyon Dam is a way out of towns an oasis some say.   Debbie Dare
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:29pm
Thanks for the up date Debbie.
Time flies when you having fun.

Regards John
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:40pm
I did update the map for AFN waterproof this year. ( 5 dams on 1 map )
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 8:13pm
When I first went to GL Dam about 20 years ago Debbie and Brian put me onto a bloke from Victoria as he wanted a second person in his boat. We became good friends and visited each other a couple of times (- until my (now ex) wife was rude to himAngry). But it is a great dam to make new friends and meet old ones.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 8:15pm
When I first went to GL Dam about 20 years ago Debbie and Brian put me onto a bloke from Victoria as he wanted a second person in his boat. We became good friends and visited each other a couple of times (- until my (now ex) wife was rude to himAngry). But it is a great dam to make new friends and meet old ones.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic