Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Greg Belford
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greg Belford - Mystery solved.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greg Belford - Mystery solved.
    Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:55pm
Had these lures for quite some time and posted them everywhere but no luck with the maker.
Richard from Lee's Lures in Townsville recognised them and I thank him.
They are made by Greg Belford of Townsville in the mid Eighties.
They are sprayed with a can and the bib is hand painted with a brush.
I have just Contacted Greg and got a little more info.
His early ones were sprayed with a can then he bought a hobby airbrush.He did not have a compressor so he used a large inner tube inflated to run the airbrush.When it ran flat he filled it back up again at the servo.
He started making lures about 1988 and stopped in 1999.
He aspired to Eric Moller and Vic McCristal as well as Pipeline George.
He learnt how to make lures by doing a Tafe coarse in Townsville.
All eyes were gal.
He dipped his lures in the undercoat,then put the pattern on,then to finish he handpainted the bib and then dipped the lures into Estapol.3-4 days for drying.
Pine was the timber used in conjuction with alloy templates.The rough lures were cut on the template marks with a fretsaw.
A 12" sanding disc hooked up to a washing machine motor was used to sand the shape right down and then a bit of hand sanding to ready the lure for painting.
When I get back to Townsville I will get a proper Bio.
Another FNQ maker uncovered.

The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:44pm
That's great news Barry, and good job Richard Clap

To get one unknown lure named is great, but to get a whole swag in one go - woohoo! OhYeah

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 9:01pm
Nice bit of detective work Barry.

Nice looking lures too.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 9:46pm
hi all,lure making was very popular here in TV ,as Barry has mentioned the local TAFE ran lure making coures for about 3-4 years in the 80s.Very popular course,no wonder you cant ID some of your collection BarryLOLLOLLOLso many with no names.Good detective work though. cheers richard
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:33pm
Again, thank's Barry - Love these bio's, this one sounds like me!!!!61if you can't buy it make it.

Pete-R
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
Richard I talked with him for a bit on the phone and sounds like a nice fello.When I get back down to you I will go see him for sure.If you want his no. I will PM it to you.

murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 2:26pm
Barry,
That TAFE course must have been popular.
I have some lures almost exactly the same made by Jim Adams in Cairns who has been selling
them for years at Rusty's Market.
Jim worked with Eric Moller in a saw mill in the 60s and last Sept sold me 5 lures that Eric
had given to him as a personal mate.
Cheers,Jim
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 5:34am
Hi Jim.I have seen Jim at the markets but not caught up to him yet for a bio.
He also does up old rods and sells them as well.

Jigmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jigmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:08am
Very nice information.  I just wish the north Queensland guys had signed their lures like some of the NSW makers did.  Makes dating and authenticatiob so much easier when they are most clearly marked.  Great lures though!!
Life is like a box of chocolates - so why do I keep losing fillings on the hard centres??
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 6:54am
We have another mystery as these lures also look like James Adams lures from Cairns.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Richard what are your thoughts on this.

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 11:12am
Hi Barry.
              One could certainly be forgiven for mistaking theseConfusedConfusedConfused.Just Jims eyes all black/white and Gregs mostly red/white. Body/bib shapes very very close to each other.Was Jim ever in Townsville & knew Greg?Jims chin minnows look a bit different to the usual run of minnow /barra shapes,but the paint jobs from each is soooooo similar.Uncanny. Cheers Richard.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:23pm
Thanks Richard,I am none the wiser because I did not know anything about mine before you helped.Mybe there is an association between the 2.

Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:04pm
James (Jim) Adams was originally from Tully where he worked in one of the sawmills until 1997 when he retired and moved to Cairns.
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic