LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guide/advice on Paul Kneller style lace pattern.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guide/advice on Paul Kneller style lace pattern.
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:45pm
G,day everyone.

My question to the painting gods out there is could someone please post some pictures or a guide on how Paul Kneller used lace etc to create that iconic pattern of his?

I would love to give this style a try but it's the holes that have me concerned. Also exactly what type of lace or curtain material or stocking would work best?

I guess what i basically am asking is, would anyone be generous enough to share the start to finish process (with photos) on painting a lure in that pattern?

Regards,
Rob.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:58pm
Hi Rob.

Certainly mate. Firstly, a lot of the lace that Paul used to use is I suspect nearly impossible to find. I've tried and the best I can find are cheaper elastic type materials that don't leave as cleaner edge as you'll see on a lot of Paul's older lures.

There are stocking patterns from China available on eBay that have the classic circle lace pattern and are possibly as close to the original Deception patterns you may get. I'll see if I can find them on eBay and I'll provide you with the links. I've been spraying that pattern for a while now on and off and it's an easy way to make a lure look great. There's some other luremakers using it too, so if they see this post they might be able to help out also.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:17pm
Thank you Danny for jumping in on this.

Yeah i absolutely love this pattern/style of painting but I just don't know enough yet to pull it off. Any info (especially links to materials) would be fantastic.

Regards,
Rob.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:27pm
No worries Rob I'll chase it up for you.

I'm sure there's lots of quicker time efficient ways to spray the pattern if you're making lures in bulk, however if you're only making a few I've found an easy enough way to do it is to stretch the lace over the lure and join it on the underside with blu tac pressed against the belly of the lure. Keeps it tight on the lure and it's easy to remove.

Another great thing about this pattern is the effects you can create. You can paint different patches of colours on the lure first before attaching the lace, and then a dark topcoat sprayed through it will look great. You can spray a full coat over all of the bare lure visible through the lace or you can simply follow the insides of the rings with your airbrush to keep the pattern more subtle. Lots of options.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:30pm
Great stuff Danny.

Can't wait to knock out my first one.

Regards,
Rob.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:29am
The real trick here is to get a crisp pattern. Some of Paul's early examples were spectacular, not only due to the quality of his workmanship and skill, but the quality of the lace .... more so, the tightness of the weave in the lace I'd suspect.

The other point is probably using fresh lace that hasn't been used - I've noticed that after a couple of sprays the crispness of the resultant image is degraded.

If I could get my bloody Computer fixed I'd show some examples.

Cheers

Rob 

Tonk Lures
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:41am
Yes I know exactly what you mean Rob. I've got some curtain material that has a great pattern I haven't seen elsewhere in it. I use it a bit and it is definitely starting to lose that crispness now.

One of my problems is that I can't seem to even find any lace that I think would work for this style. It's like the holy grail it seems!😃 Hopefully Danny can find a link or two to an Ebay seller, or somebody else jumps in and can offer advice on where said grail can be found!!

Please keep it coming guys. Really appreciate the help so far.

Regards,
Rob.
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:04am
Originally posted by charger charger wrote:

Yes I know exactly what you mean Rob. I've got some curtain material that has a great pattern I haven't seen elsewhere in it. I use it a bit and it is definitely starting to lose that crispness now.

One of my problems is that I can't seem to even find any lace that I think would work for this style. It's like the holy grail it seems!😃 Hopefully Danny can find a link or two to an Ebay seller, or somebody else jumps in and can offer advice on where said grail can be found!!

Please keep it coming guys. Really appreciate the help so far.

Regards,
Rob.

Hi Rob, any chance of a couple pic's of your lures with your curtain material ? Smile
Gristy
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 12:49pm
Rob

I use mainly curtain material. Most is bought at Spotlight.  I physically hold the curtain material tight over the lure, using my hand to hold it in position. Sometimes I have to use pegs etc to get an allover tight fit.  The biggest problem, for me, is removing the curtain material without smudging the paint.

Not sure what patterns of Paul's that you are referring to. A few photos would help.

Cheers

Travers
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:01pm
OK I just wanted to thank everyone for their input so far. I have been asked by Travers to clarify exactly what pattern I am referring to and a great example comes from you Danny. It is exactly what I'm talking about. I just love this pattern.

charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:07pm
G,day Grey Nomad.

Here is a couple of examples of my lures. I started out in timber but have recently purchased a 3d printer and these 2 are now printed in ABS plastic. I don't know how much interest there is on this site for 3d printing but if there is any I could perhaps do a post on the process.

Regards
Rob.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:15pm
Rob - it's true that most guys here have a soft spot for timber.  BUT, we also love hearing about everything lures.
So detailing what you're doing with 3D printers I'm sure would be appreciated by everyone.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:16pm
Very interesting, 3D imaging in plastic, what'll they think of next Clap.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:20pm
Guys here is a perfect example from the Deception Lures Collectors Club (DLCC) website of a SH060 Deception Whitmore Shrimp circa. 1993 Tongue

One of my favorite Deception lures ever LOL

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:24pm
Rob, try your local Salvation Army, Vinnies and other op shops for lace. Its surprising what you find in those shops. They always seem to have old doolies and dress making material. Might find exactly what your after. Regards Chris
All my braids gone!
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:46pm
Yes Rob that is what I'm talking about!

Thanks Chris will do.
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:56pm
G,day Ducks.

Just so I don't get too harshly treated I will include pics of some of my timber creations.Wink

charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:57pm
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:58pm
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:59pm
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:00pm
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:02pm
Hi Rob.

Yes I had a feeling that was the style of pattern you were referring to. It is the one I have been referring to in this thred also. Rob (Lure-Nut) is spot on when he talks about crispness. I mentioned it in my first post and he's stressed it too - the quality of the lace is a big factor. Fuzzy edges on the cheaper imported stuff will not give you as cleaner lines as you'll see on a lot of Paul's older lures. I remember him telling me that he still looks in places like vinnies for some of his older lace patterns, and if my memory serves me right a particular circle lace varient actually came from a bit of curtain in a house he was living in. I think you can see this lace from the house on a Deception Yabby that Rod (Stinger) posted a few years ago. As you can see on the lure of mine that you posted above I've sprayed a bit of gold in the circles and then simply run the airbrush (black) around the inside of the pattern. Heaps of options. Don't worry about the paint smudging - just leave it for a short while until it dries. If it's fixed (if you're not holding it on) it won't smudge.

You'll find this lace on Paul's most recent Series II Anniversary Yabby sets. I think it's probably as close to his original patterns from the 90's that you'll find. It's available on eBay. I'll find it for you.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:03pm
Very nice little lures Rob. Thanks for sharing.
All my braids gone!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:07pm
Nice Deception Whitmore Shrimp Rob.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:09pm
Great little creations right there Rob. The trout would love some of those.

Cheers,

Danny.

Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:48pm
Rob here is the lace you're after.

This is the pattern it makes, and as you can see when stretched out the edges on it will vary slightly (some a little fuzzier than others). I think I've bought from two suppliers and from memory one was slightly better quality than the other in terms of cleaner detail when airbrushed.

You can do even shaped circles across the top and flanks, or you can stretch it on an uneven angle like this photo below to create a more random effect over the lure and also across the bib too.

I'll locate the eBay links shortly. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:07pm
If we can't find any on eBay I'll send you some of mine as I've got some spare here.

Cheers,

Danny.

Echo Lures
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:22pm
Danny you are an absolute champion! Cannot thank you enough for your help. 

Regards,

Rob.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:58pm
Nice little lures Rob. The 3D printer is interesting.
This was my one and only go at the lacework, must try another one day, not a patch on Paul's Deceptions of course, but in my defence he had a lot more practice LOL

Gristy
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:15pm
You're kidding Gristy,  looks awesome mate.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:20pm
Had a look for this type of lace a little while ago and quickly got bored after not finding anything. Just had a more serious go and still couldn't find anything.

Have a google search for 'pothole tights'... It was the closest I could find after a hour of 'googling'. I might order some and give it a go. If I ever get my next batch of lures to the point of painting Confused ha.

Really nice examples above guys. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ces.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by charger charger wrote:

You're kidding Gristy,  looks awesome mate.

Trick photography mate, you can't see the Doggy bits Embarrassed Big smile, rough rough LOL.
Gristy
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:46pm
When I had my lure/ lace fetish (30 years ago) I used to lurk in the lace sections in the haberdashery stores, mainly where they sell  the lace ribbon for trimming bras / panties, wedding bits etc, usually there was some good stuff there OhYeah---mind you I wouldn't try it now, too old and would probably get arrested.
As Danny says 'Spotlight' is worth a look, I was in "Lincraft'' last week and some interesting stuff there, - if you're scared , take your girl,,,good cover---------
Good luck----Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:53pm
Yes Pete I've been in the shops with you and seen where your eyes wander Big smile, best to stay away
from the panties section mate LOL.
Gristy
charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:25pm
G,day Ces.

I followed your lead and found a few different possibilities under pothole tights. The photos that are provided by suppliers are very low quality so it is hard to tell what the pattern looks like in detail.

I might see if i can buy some and just hope it turns out ok.

I did go to Lincraft, Vinnies and Spotlight today but no joy there.

Regards,
Rob.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic