LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > North American Fishing Lures > USA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heddon Scissortail lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heddon Scissortail lure
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 5:53pm
Found an interesting photo of a Heddon Scissortail

Regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 6:26pm
John, I wish I could access my old laptop hard drive, I had one of those in my big Heddon Yellow Shore collection, Sold it back to the US from memory. Unusual lure and from what I could gather quite effective.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:54am
Brad
Caught my eye as well when I spotted it in the book .

Must admit I personally have never come across one.

Is the tail split using the same material or is the top half a different material ,(metal).

Would it have two towing points  linked to the main part of the lure or only one

I expect it creates a fluttering effect when used.

Regards John

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:33am
Hello guys,
The Scissortail bait from Heddon was all made of the same material. It failed to catch fish and hence failed in the lure market. It was quickly dropped as a fish catcher, but it is becoming a collectable bait now as a consequence. I hope this helps.
Cheers, Mike. 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:22am
Thanks Mike
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:50am
My understanding was that many fisherman complained about the Scissortail not only due to it not catching fish but because the glittery part on the underside of the 'scissor' section of each part started corroding and as a result the lures action was impeded and it didn't 'scissor' properly anymore. For a lure that was called 'The Scissortail' this was probably a bit of an oversight on part of the Heddon engineers. Hence it was not popular and was discontinued quickly.

MXB
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:59am
I have heard the same, I just omitted the detail. However, as a result of Heddons mistake these lures are becoming collectable. Which was the point that I was trying to make. Cheers, Mike.
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:11am
Yes definitely collectable . . . got one somewhere!!

MXB
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:36am
Thanks MXB and Mike 

May not be as scarce as I thought.

Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:52pm

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:09pm
John, The Scissor Tail is not easy to find, especially lately, but the hard one to find in good nick is the one at the top, the Dowagiac (say it like Dowijack)Spook or Super Spook as some call it.

First made in 1930 made of Pyralin a trade marked form of celluloid with glass eyes, then in Tenite 1 & 2, both are advanced forms of Cellulose. The gold eyes came in 1960 and the model was dropped in 1963.

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:31pm
Great Brad .Thumbs Up

Actual colour shots of the lures make a world of difference from the earlier black and white photos 

I was curious how they dealt with the attachment at the back end ,I have not seen either of them before . I think the book I found the info in was  released around 1963, fits in perfectly

regards John

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:49pm
This must make this one made between 1960 -63? Wink Happy to have it in my collection. Tongue
Fysshe
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:55am
Actually...gold eyes on THESE started just after the Runts had them.

You can't go by what the catalog pictures show...they are famous for using old pics even though the lures had changed. Lucky 13's are probably the most famous of this, as they used an old pic all the way from the 1930's to 1960.

One pic below of a late 40's-early 50's Spook with correct box. The other pic is part of 1960 catalog showing the Lucky 13 I mentioned.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:36pm
I have a wooden one that looks like a Lucky 13 but no markings!! The only similar one is a Paw Paw Mister 13.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:39pm
I'm pretty sure this plastic one is a Shakespeare Mister 13 Jr.
Fysshe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 12:51am
Several smaller companies made lures like a Lucky 13. Shocked

I don't believe your plastic one is a Mister 13 (wrong paint job).

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 8:35am
Thanks Dave, a couple more I need some more information on! I have an early Paw Paw Flapjack lure with "ball bearing" hardware, supposedly made between 1941 and 1963. And a wooden U20 Flatfish. This fellow has had a bit of repair work and I think the rear set of double trebles has been replaced by a larger single? My book says it was probably made pre 1949 but some were made of wood in the 70's but these were marked as "Wood"...Confused 
Fysshe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 1:47am
Here's a great site for Helin stuff...

http://helintacklecollector.wordpress.com/

Not a lot of info about Flapjacks Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic