Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures > Hueys
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Huey's rippers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huey's rippers
    Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:07pm
Have 2 new lures and was told the unpackaged one is a Huey's however the 2 others seem to not have that name.Does anyone know about these please?

The Journey is the Reward

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 7:49pm
They are cool barry, I have a few hueys worms on cards,and another minnow style, the minnow is written underneath hueys, will check the carded ones to see if they have similiar writing etc.
hueys were generally carved out of huon pine, and this was advertised on the card, also tasmania was mentioned i think, will search the shed now.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:15pm
A few hueys grubs, handcarved from huon pine, and a minnow.
The grubs are classics, it says hand carved, and i presume they areas each one is slightly different.

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:19pm
*drool* I think these lures should make their way back 'home' somehow ;)
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:29pm
I asked them if they wanted to head south TAS V but they are very happy in sunny qld in their shed.Wink

Barry,
the minnow style lure has the yellow and black eyes like yours.
Also the carded ones have a couple of letters in black texta on the back,
i presume colour codes.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:26pm
My carded ones came from a tackle collector in Victoria who is 88yrs old and info from him is difficult.I think the 3 are from the same maker but the carded ones have me baffled.The bibs are identical in shape and thickness as well as the eyelets.The size of the middle lure is the same as the other 2.

MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:37pm

If you check with Carl Hyland @ FishTas I'm certain he would be happy to confirm if lure is his and may even be able to ID the others or provide more info.

I actually found two lures of his that were listed in USA with a diving bib and similar shape and were both marked 'Hueys' near rear treble.

MXB
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:47pm
Thanks Roger ,I will try to get hold of him.

MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:22pm
Here's the lures I was talking about . . . slightly different shape but stil similar

And signed underneath

MXB
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by TasV TasV wrote:

*drool* I think these lures should make their way back 'home' somehow ;)

TasV
I have a few of these older Huey's "spare"
Find me some Walure's and I will bring them down with me next week.
Laurie
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:30pm
That's ok Laurie... chances of me finding any lure atm is... slim... nose to the grind stone...
hueyslurestas View Drop Down
Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Have 2 new lures and was told the unpackaged one is a Huey's however the 2 others seem to not have that name.Does anyone know about these please?

Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:30am
Hi mate, these lures are NOT mine............ My Spotty Dog lures only have four(4) dots on the side and all of my lures are carded on genuine Hueys backing boards. Hope this helps
Carl

Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

A few hueys grubs, handcarved from huon pine, and a minnow.
The grubs are classics, it says hand carved, and i presume they areas each one is slightly different.
Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:34pm
Hi Jase, these lures are made by hand(as are ALL my lures). These particular lures were manufactured around 1990,(the green card is the giveaway) all the lures from 1994 onwards were presented on a white card with green lettering.
Hope this helps.
All the best
Carl
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:18pm
Thanks carl,
love them grubs, real classics, what were they intended to catch?
What did you call the small lure under the grubs in the photo?
cheers mate, good to get info straight from the source.
Jas

Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Thanks carl,
love them grubs, real classics, what were they intended to catch?
What did you call the small lure under the grubs in the photo?
cheers mate, good to get info straight from the source.
Jas
G'daye again Jas, the lures were designed initially to replicate a Bardi grub as there were no true wooden lures about to mimic such a creature. Sure there were berkley powergrubs  but no bibbed lures as such. Trout, cod, were the targets and boy, were some of them doozies!(Fish).
The lure underneath is what I called the Butterball, as the yellow represented butter. There is a lure now made by Nilsmaster that is very similar.
Cheers
Carl
Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:52pm

My carded ones came from a tackle collector in Victoria who is 88yrs old and info from him is difficult.I think the 3 are from the same maker but the carded ones have me baffled.The bibs are identical in shape and thickness as well as the eyelets.The size of the middle lure is the same as the other 2.
Cap Cranky, I am more than happy to try to identify them for you if you care to send me a pic?
Regards
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:58pm
Carl thankyou for clearing that up.I was only admiring them today in my room.Carl do you have a pic of your Spotty Dog ones.Mine only have 4 dots as per yours.I could send you other pics via email as I would love to know the maker..

Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 8:37am

Carl thankyou for clearing that up.I was only admiring them today in my room.Carl do you have a pic of your Spotty Dog ones.Mine only have 4 dots as per yours.I could send you other pics via email as I would love to know the maker..
Here's a pic my friend of the 10cm Spottys........this is (and always has been) my take on the Spotted Dog lure of old.
Regards
Hueys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hueyslurestas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 8:42am
BTW, heres a pic from an old magazine..............I only made 50 of the bottom lures, as the props were absolute killers on the hands.(1991).......the bottom was a surface lure.
regards
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 9:15am
Thanks Carl for the pics of the spotted dog.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 3:20pm
NICE lures those ones very coolClapClapClapregards bob
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 6:56pm
i have a lure very very similar, made by a young bloke from woolongong at least 13_15 years ago. Still cant post pics, but almost the same shape as, no is the same shape as those.
Barry, i just checked,I now reckon its the same, black widow.

I have a purple one with yellow pattern, the pattern is almost identical with the blue and white one.
The young bloke from the gong who made it was as keen as mustad, a real good young fisho who had a real pssion for hand made lures. He made this lure based on the micro min min. He also made me a mouse which is similar to knols native, custom painted for me. I worked at Ern Webbs at the time, would have been 1998/99, will send pic via phone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic