LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ICE JIGS &metal blades ETC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICE JIGS &metal blades ETC
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 12:20pm
HOW do you fish this style of lure & what colour & spieces Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileREGARDS BOB
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 12:35pm
WinkBobby bass at lostock will munch these things.........Rava makes a great blade/s especially his poly ones........ice jigs well I had some made by a fellow member out of fish skin and by golly gee don't they work!!!!!! Nilsmaster,rapala,strike pro,jackall bros and smak lures all produce ice jigs......... As for there use well Tim Morgan summed it up for me the other day.......I quote......" Ice Jigging how boring.....Who was the idiot who thought that one up....."; Me well I used 3 recently at glenbawn and lost all 3 to snags.......1 smak,1 jackall and 1 fish skin.........I'm still wincing......I use my loomis GLX with a baitcaster light braid and light leaders,As for jigging action you have to work that one out for your self as experience will show you what works where and how......B.J.
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 1:52pm
Hey Bob,
Blades can be fished in all manner of ways, fish them like a spinnerbait when working the edges, cast, let it sink a little, then slow retrieve. Or like a jighead when fishing deep, lots of short, methodic rips and pauses.

Ice jigs in deep water are best used in conjunction with a sounder, if fish are sitting near the bottom, drop the jig through them, then wind it back up into the school. Same again, lots of tiny twitches, pauses, banging the but of the rod with your hand etc.

cheers,
Paul
Arn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 2:34pm
We jig the ice jigs for Red fin in Blowering, they work a treat and the kids have  a great time, I got a fat carp on on once at the Hume Weir didn't know what it was at the time cause we ere in around 30ft and all hell broke loose.
Good fun
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 2:35pm
Ooops! Forgot to mention colour!

I like TT blades, the silver/black and gold/black are a couple of favorites, and you can't go past the Nilsy ice jigs, the greeny/orange ones are great.

Paul.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 4:43pm
I know one bloke who uses Ice Jigs with great effect, He is something of a legend in the BASS circles having won a few comps on ice jigs alone.
OBI WAN drops the ice jig down to the schooling fish using a sounder, and YES Barbara you can see the jig on the screen of high end sounders Thumbs Up
Then he raps the butt of the rod with the free hand in a convoluted pattern, sometimes hard, sometimes soft while balancing the rod between the fingers either side of the reel stem.

I have had a modicum of success with the same system, but I don't often get a chance to fish schooling Bass these days. Apart from the ubiquitous Rapala Jigs, there are a few other European brands on the market. Rauhala is one I have used, as good as the Rapala's and cheaper usually.

The only down side is the generally weaker hooks, more suited to Trout than rampaging Bass.

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 5:39pm
THATS alot of info to wrap me head around thanks boys /////IS anyone useing the jackall transam &soft plastic they haveBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:03pm
BEEN seeing some after market softies that look like the jakal transam where can i get hold of these in bulk or singles any help would be coolWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:15pm
ANY one useing blades on fish???????????????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic