Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying which version a Barra King Lure is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying which version a Barra King Lure is
    Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 8:15pm
Barra King lures are generally fairly easy to identify the maker and period of.

The pics below contain 3 Barra King Lures in this order from top to bottom
  1. made by Henry Hall (1981 - 1986)
  2. Made by Ron Dau - early version (Circa 1986/7) I need to confirm the dates on these with Mr Dau
  3. Made by Ron Dau - Later version
The Henry Hall version stands out with the White eyes, there is no sticker or writing on these lures, although as they say "The eyes have it" Wacko  There are a few variations on the body shape with these, particularly in relation to the curve on the nose - I'll post more on that once I've researched it more.

The early Ron Dau models have a smooth surface on the lure similar to the Henry Hall models, the eyes on most of these are a shade of red leaning towards orange (a few of the Dau models have white eyes, although the pupil is painted largeer than in the Hall version), they also have the brand "Barra King" hand written under the bib.

The later Ron Dau models have a dimpled effect on the body and have a sticker under the bib. (if it hasn't fallen off)

Here's some examples:

Top Lure - Henry Hall
Middle Lure - Ron Dau (early)
Bottom Lure - Ron Dau (later)

I hope that's of help.

There's more info on the earlier Henry Hall lures here (including the very first Barra Kings Henry ever made, which are a different style again)
http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/visit-with-henry-and-aileen-hall-feb-2010_topic886.html

If anyone has further info to add or any changes to recommend please reply here or send me a PM Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic