Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In my Backyard #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In my Backyard #2
    Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:30pm
Thought Id start up this post and keep it running this season, Jack and I have spent weeks/months exploring our local creeks in depth, planning for this bass season.
I thought others might be interested to see some of the areas we are fishing,how we are fishing them and  a bit of scenery etc.
I wont mention names of creeks etc, as they are quite small and dont want to advertise them on a public post, as they would not handle high fishing pressure.(so if you think you know...fine keep it to yourself.........or send a PM
We are lucky where we live, we have the the Noosa river catchment and Mary river catchment close by.....creeks 5 minutes from home are Mary river tributaries, and 10 minutes are Noosa river creeks.......a small range seperates the two run offs.
So hopefully we can get out a bit this season, and show the non locals our beautiful area.
Our other aim is to catch our local fish on lures made from the talented makers on this site.

Today is the first day of the bass season, I had half a day off work, headed out and explored a small creek for a few hrs, then picked jack up from school and headed to another creek that holds natural wild bass,
Although not big fish we done ok, I think the bigger fish are still making their way back up stream after spawning.
Creeks are running a bit after rain, we found a nice big eddy on a bend, and pulled several fish.
I got all mine on 2 of my lures , and jack done very well on Petes TWITCHY LURES FROG.............Jack is the Twitchy Kid............he loves petes lures and if they are in his box, nothing else gets a swim...not even mine!......If we didnt run out of daylight we would of had a huge tally, and just started to find quality fish too, still jacks happy enough with the results, for a quick hr or so hrs after school he pulled 4 nice bass ..........sorry for picture quality, dropped camera in creek before first pic! surprised it worked at all.
Jas

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:57pm
Awesome guys Clap look forward to further reports
only Spangles in the creek/drain down the road here, but I remember back when I used to live on the banks of Cabbage Tree Ck at Sandgate, come home from work, grab a bevvie and the rod, sit on the end of the jetty and soak some live prawns caught in bait trap under jetty, pull the odd Bream and Flattie, row the dinghy across the creek and pull the pots, maybe a muddie or 2....ahhh those were the good times...
I envy you guys, now it is a logistical exercise to get away for even an hour of fishing...

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

AROBBO View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
LollyPop Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AROBBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm
Nice fish Jack and Jas, what are you guy;s up to on the holidays? we will have to get together.
Cheers Aidan
EAT-SLEEP-BREATH-FISH
LollyPop Lures
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:07pm
Sweet Jas ClapClapClap

I am going to have to come down for fish with you guys.

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:01pm
LUV your back yard. That bend with the eddy reminds me of a place I caught an eel tailed catfish when I went to see a mate up your way. Was hoping for a Mary cod for a photo.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:45pm
Excellent stuff guys, a very good start to the season! i am keen for a get together these holidays as my OP has been cancelled for a few months!!! i will be posting hopefully heaps of reports on here to keep this thread going and will show you some of the beautiful water ways down here that hold excellent bass!!!!

Keep up the good work guys!!!

cheers Nick
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:55am
Nice to see your got a good start on the season. Will follow this post, and see what comes.
Very interesting seing your small  Bass creeks. Had imagin them a lot bigger. It is some beutiful Fish, these Bass. Get one fore me
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:13am
Most of the bigger creeks and rivers are fished a lot more PJ.The little itty bitty ones that are hard to get to and then difficult to fish are very rewarding.I am sure you have some like this back home.
The Journey is the Reward

Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:22am
Excellent stuff Nicho  , I love my Bass Fishing Smile
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:24pm
Hi Jas and Jack, Go the twitchy's you've gotta love those Jolly frogs jack
well done buddy and Jas, you didn't do too bad on your lures as well...ClapClapClapClap
I was out for a fish yesterday as well WinkWinkWink. I took my new menchin mice
for a run to do some R&D but the fish down here a still very slow but we managed a few good
E.P's and Bream .WinkWinkWink I think I'm going to change my name to the bream king
because that's all I could stir all day...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:19pm
Thanks for replies guys,

Darby,
a small creek of this one has a few spangles in it, jack loves fishing for them, only small but pack a punch.

ARROBBO...PILLY...... NB96.......Im keen anytime for a fish.

Horrorhead,
no cod in this creek, other side of the rangeWink

P.j...... these are small creeks, or very close to the end of large creeks, about average   10 to 30 ks from the saltwater.
They are quite hard to fish in parts, trees/vines.steep banks, a few people fish them, but only very keen peopleWink...............Id say they only see people on them in parts a few times a year if at all.
I will post up more pics of bush/jungle that I have to go through to fish.

Jeff,
your lure goes with me this weekendWink

Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:38pm
DAY 2............somewhere in the wilderness.

Early day againConfusedLOL.....................walked/slipped/fell/swore for a few hrs today along a beautiful stretch of water about 10 ks from where we fished yesterday, fishing was hard due to vegetation on banks and steep banks.
Caught about 10 bass, not very big, I thought by moving closer to the salt I might find bigger fish returning from spawning, but not the case, creek was flowing harder after rain and a lot of walking was involved to find fishable water or eddys.
I got a few on my lures, My floppycopy lure caught a couple and by far got more hits than others, very happy with this one.

Menchos lure got a bass..............and so did one of Bobs lures.......I only used their lures and mine today...it was a bit of a Novocastrian day.

Very thick bush made going hard, and running water also. Found a nice little undercut bank like a small cave on a bend, if I got the lure right up in the cave, Id pull a fish.
Theyd of been sitting up in the eddy out of the strong current.
One of Bobs lures is still deep in that black holeOuch.it was one of my corrob bobs too!!
Jas

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:00pm
Jas- some would say you are lucky to be able to fish these areas but I think it's not so much luck but more that you (and Jack)  are keen enough to have a look- I know around here and nearby on the coast there is a lot of water that most people would never think of fishing but as you are proving there is a whole new world out there.
It's a buzz when you can throw them back too, wish I had done that when I was a youngster.
More power to you and thanks for posting it.
Pete

nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:50pm
Sweet work Jas,

Soon you should have the Bass swap lures to put into action.

BTW, my theory is the Bigger fish move first. Go the other way up into the back waters ;)
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm
I thought it was a bit difficult to fish were i do. But not at least, so much as the Creeks you and Jack is  struggling to follow. I got to thing this sentence, at the first Pict. ME TARZAN, ME GO FISH LOLLOLLOL
But in a way i can understand your effort to get to some "virgin" waters.
I got right now to think about the first and only (we call it Sea-Bars) i caught about 9 years ago, in Saltwater. It looks very much like your Bass.

Sorry i don't have a better Pict. It is a Paper Pict. i have made a digital of. Thy come here in the Summer time. Think it is from UK. Thy have a lot of them there. Some of my Friends have fished them on our West coast, and caught them up to 3-3½ kg. But it needs very special Werther conditions before thy come close enough to the chore to catch. This little feller is actually caught in a Fjord on our East Coast, which is quit rare.
Keep them amassing Bass and Nature Pict. floating on your tread Jas.
And as we say in Denmark : KNÆK & BRÆK (tight lines)
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:15pm
Jas,
 I saw that hole pic and thought BASS CAVE!!!!! (old creek bassers never forget)
That's some serious Boys V Wild trekking to get there, well done guys Thumbs Up

darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:55am
Hi Jason ,
great looking water there i bet you dont take any graphite rods into that war zone ,nice Bass also .
Regards Darcy.

wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:56am
Jas ,great topic l always find it interesting to see where and how other people fish in the areas they live
Clap
             cheers wrapper Wink
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 10:42am
Pete,
Its hard going and hit and miss but worth it, I will do the hard yards for a long time, but eventually I will know all the quality holes, and be able to head straight to themWink
I remember wanting to do this 20 years ago, but work, babies, mortgage got in the way!

Nutter..I tried that theory yesterday for a few hrs before picking jack up from school.
I was 10 or more ks upstream from where we found fish yesterday, only got one small bass bump a lure, in very fishy water, thats why we moved down, and found some.............and further yesterday, knowing my luck they are somwhere in betweenLOL
Pro fishers told me they were getting bass in nets in the second lake as late as middle last week, they seem to think they are late spawning this year?! who knows.

p.j
similiar fish, but our bass are freshwater, and tough little buggers...KNAEK BRAEK

DARBY,
I was happy when I found it as the creek had hard flow and I stumbled along the bank for a K or so before I saw it.

Darcy,
graphite rodsConfused, and broke the tip on my new one just the other day!!!
Back to my 4 foot power tip for easy trekking.

Wrapper,
need a wrapper trout bait to try on these bassWink

Jas n Jack

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:30pm
I admire yours effort to get to the Fish. Every little Bass is erned big time Thumbs Up
Is it in this Creek you will try the Combo Lure ?? If so i better make some more straight away, to throw in the snags Wink
You need to get a Wonderrod from Shakespeare, if thy still make them. Had one many years ago, and i cud bend the ends together like an 0 witout breaking it. Dropped it in a harbour, when fishing from a peir Thumbs Down

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:42pm
JAS, nice little creek, love that type of fishing. We do this sort of stuff up north every Oct but after barra. Bass fishing like that is just the same as walking the banks for barra - only you need to upsize your gear and lures - and be careful of the short legged long tailed swamp terriers. (We had one stalking us last year, that we could see anyway.) 
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm
P.j
I will be painting your combo lures next week, and this creek will  be part of their exercise, although today, I found closer again to home an incredible section of water that never sees a person, so they will get a swim their also, over this summer I wil fish all remote creeks from two seperate catchment areas, so your lures will get a decent runWink

HORRORHEAD,
no crocs here, but snakes seem to like the unpopulated areas as wellConfused

wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:57pm
Hmmmmmmmmm a wrapper trout  bait you said 61 bewarned Jas l might just deliver it too
LOLLOL and remember l have NEVER fished for bass before SO you would have to break in a virgin bass fisher
FishingDevilFishing Beer so ask yourself is it worth it NewYear Wired
cheers wrapper Wink
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:32pm
I reckon it could be sorted wrapperWink

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:48pm
DAY 3
Headed not far from home, a road runs past this section less than 50 mts away, from the road all that can be seen is thick bush and very steep banks.................walk/slide down banks and venture through thick scrub....................and PARADISE!!
Jack bought a mate along today, he had never caught bass, this arvo he caught 4 wild bass on twitchy lures frog(Jack insisted he use the frogConfused)
I caught 4 on one of my flopycopy lures, and one of Verlons lures all the way from USA got a nice bass also.
Amazing piece of water so close to home.................not many people would know its there.
Hope this post doesnt bore you guys, there is so much more to explore this summer.
Jas and Jack

CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 9:22am
Hey Jason, great post, don't worry about boring anyone with these post. I love fishing places like this.
Several years ago, I fished the Edisto river in South Carolina with my friend that lives there. To get a small boat up the river, we would have to cut thru logs that had fallen with a chain saw. Wish I had taken pictures.
The old lures were not pretty, but they did catch fish.
Very handsome young lads that you were fishing with.
Thanks for posting,
Verlon

Baitman
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 9:39am
Excellent Stuff Jas and Jack and Mates!!! Jas you are lucking to have a excellent bass hole so close to home our closest is 30 - 40min away!!! Great to see yours and Verlons lures producing the goods, they are excellent lures!!! The Bass in these holes you are fishing look very healthy and fat!!!

keep the reports coming as i can be dreaming when im not out there fishing!!!!

cheers Nick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:19am
Verlon,
they may be old lures but they work, I have the old lures you sent hanging in my shed, and I thought I might take one to get a fish for you............and had no trouble with this great little lure.
The handsome one in the pics is me verlonConfusedLOL

Nick,
If your back is ok enough, Im happy to take you and ya dad for a hike, some close stuff thats not too hard going.

Jas

NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:22am
Thanks Jas, I am sure dad and I will definitely  be up for it one weekend!!!!

Nick
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:09am
SHE's a nice honey hole good onya boysClapClapClapClapClapregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:16am
Jas, damn healthy looking Bass for such small water Thumbs Up
lovely countryside, my ol legs are aching just looking at the pics LOL
Keep it coming lads!!!

AROBBO View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
LollyPop Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AROBBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 12:01pm
JAS, you sure have found some great spots!! we will have to come down and visit you, are you comming to your house here these holidays?? might have to take you to a creek we think there might be bass in and see if you can pull some out of it.
Cheers Aidan
EAT-SLEEP-BREATH-FISH
LollyPop Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 12:41pm
who'd ever know those creeks were home to so many Bass Jas? but it makes sense when you consider how many people used to rave about the upper reaches of the noosa river and the bass up there.do you ever get any jungle perch up there?Wink
those are beautiful places your fishing hope they stay nice and wild for you mate
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 4:46pm
Arrobo,
not up there this holidays, but willing to do a day trip and meet you, Ive got one up there Im keen to explore also.

Darby,
one way to stop the legs aching mate...............use them!LOL

Chris,
its been wild for ever so cant see it changing, absolutely no sign of people walking these banks at all, no doubt a few very keen bass fishermen do, but I reckon Im in holes that might see one guy through a year.
Spoke to an old farmer, landholder for 25yrs, asked permission to use creek, told me hed shoot anyone he found in there, and no I couldnt!! Hes never fished and reckons youd be lucky to get a dirty catfish from there anyway.................Didnt tell him I crossed his paddock the day before and pulled 11 nice bass from a small hole as big as a backyard pool!!!!!LOL
I wont fish there again and respect his wishes, but hes got about 5km of creek thats full of bass.Cry
He was very old, so maybe one day I will get in there for a good look.
Jas

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 8:11pm
What's that law about having so many metres either side of a natural water course as access? Still, you don't want to p%$ss somebody off, especially if he's willing to shoot.    Keep the reports coming, they are all very informative. 
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic