Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In my Backyard #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 8:40pm
HORRORHEAD,
I gently mentioned to the landholder that its actually every Aussies right to access a water course, and that the fact that his entire block has a gazetted public roadway right along the creek,(NOT A ROAD AS SUCH BUT ITS MARKED ON SURVEYORS PLANS) would make it even more my right to access it, I finished it by saying that you are locking out the honest people,( although I told him I UNderstand his rights but dont agree) as I know of others that have been here over the years....thats when the gun story came out!
MWinkAKES IT A BIT MORE SPORTING TO GIVE IT A GO THOUGH DONT YOU THINK??LOL
Its a bit sad when an old fella stops you and ya kid walking a creek with a fishing rod, not as though we wanted to go in guns blazing, eskys full, and tear the place apart.
To be continuedWink
Jas

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 9:00pm
Yeh landholders don't like being reminded of that. And very sad that he threatens about the access. Personally, I prefer the sport from the fish rather then from being a moving target. Still, a gazetted road way as well. But I'm not much of one to try my luck too far.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:30pm
glad to see that your boys love fishing for spangle perch jas i use to spend many hours walking the banks and sometimes up the middle of small creeks in the lowood area many years ago this is where you can refine your casting techniques in skinny water, good to see your boys love fishing as much as you do, has the bow and arrow cast come into play yet good for getting under overhangs, i have also come across an angry farmer and his wife but i surpose they had justification because they didnt have any clothes onEmbarrassed pearcey
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:31pm
Jas, you will have to inquire at the local council to see if he has taken out a lease of the gazetted road, If he has, he has every right to block access. If not maybe a gentle word to the council about his grab for public land is in order.
Also check the current laws on Riparian Access for the general public, There were some changes going back a while that allowed a landholder to block access along the bank adjoining his land.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:57am
pearcey,
naked farmers!! I seen this old guys wife and I dont want to see him or her naked in the creekDead

As for casting Im no expert, but do ok, I have never tried the bow and arrow cast.might give it a go.
I often cheat by just dropping my lure in the water and letting the current take it under snags etc.saves the stress of hooking branches etc......I get pretty wound up when I have a bad casting dayLOL
Often by floating it in the current, stopping it from time to time and twitching it, I get hits.
Jas

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:23pm
i was for ever wading in the creek getting lures from those hard to break willow tree branches jas most of the creeks i fished back then were sand and pebbles lovely little creeks, the bow and arrow cast takes a bit of practice of course you have to have the bail arm open on the spinning reel, hold the line with your index finger pinch the back lure treble avoiding the points pull back putting a curve in the rod then let both fingers go at the same time its quite accurate when you get the right tension on the rod curve a bit of practice in the back yard, anyway love those little creeks you fish, luckily the farmers wife was around fourtyish and was quite homelyLOL pearcey
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:02pm
The bow and arrow cast is also good for when you are hidden and stalking a fish in clear/shallow water and you don't want to spook it by waving your rod about.
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:01pm
Will see if I can hit one of the chooks out the back tomorrowThumbs Up

water in parts is very clear, so I will actually try it.
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:35pm
A quick stop on the way past a creek today totally blew me away..................6 nice bass in half hr all on the one little lure I made.............a few steep banks after floods so fish had to be lifted and placed on the ground quickly before release, not my favourite thing to do, but all swam away no worries.
Very happy with this little lures results.....40mm long a small version of my bass#uka.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:38pm
Nice fish, gotta be happy for a quickie fishie like that.
Martin-

NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:01pm
Great stuff Jas!!!

Nick
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:07pm
hmmm heap big snag that one bossfulla, me thinkum dere more bass in dat 'ole

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:01pm
there was a  small section on the bow and arrow cast on eye fish today, channel one , pearcey  I
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:04pm
MAN! you must have a BIG backyard Jas WinkLOLLOL

I've only got a dirty old stormwater drain in my backyard CryCry

Toga Fever
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:29pm
yep more in there id say

pearcey thanks mate, dont get that channel, but will look it up on youtube.
cheers guys
JAS

ando 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ando 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:34pm
Jas
that clip your using doesn't look that reliable ever had any problems with them?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:47pm
Never a drama, I have a good idea whats in the areas Im fishing, 2 or 4 kg line will snap before the clip breaks.
It just saves time when Im testing lures etc in creeks, a quick change.
So far they have been great, but I wouldnt use them in the ocean or where very big fish may be.
I think these little ones are 30lb rated or more. Yet very light, dont effect even tiny lures.
Jas

ando 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ando 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:18pm
Thanks Jas
I mainly chase barra and was thinking the headshakes could pull the splitring back through the opening, but i do like the idea for testing lures where lots of changes are made, it's amazing how small some of the terminal tackle is these days compared to the rating on them.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:46pm
If anything was going to happen, it would be as you say, the ring coming back through, its happened once or twice when jiggling off snags in the air, but as far as a fish pulling it straightening it out, its possible but not in these little creeks.
Purists would not use them, but they save me time...more fishing timeWink
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 8:07pm
swap lures arrived today...gave a couple a quick run in the creek...........verlons topwater and kiwozis walk the dog. great work guys!

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:34pm
Headed into a new section today, wind blowing around 30knts, westerly direction.
From the outset I wasnt confident, as I hate westerly winds for fishing.
But the thought of discovering new ground got us out there.
I tried the swap surface lures but things were slow, plenty of half hearted hits but nothing solid.

Took us a good while and a bit of walking before a few fish came to the party.
Cold, windy day, so only a  few fish, but new ground found for summer afternoons, the fish were there but not playing the game.
My mate managed one off the surface, and a couple on divers, I was only lucky with one of my Pomona Shrimps.

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:51pm

Those Bass most be struggling a lot, getting upstreams i think. After Pict. i have seeing, are a lot of the way upstream very shallow, and filled with Trees/roods. And after what i remember thy go quit a long way up from the Sea ??

Jas. what is the max. size in fresh water, on these beautiful fish, to get a idea if it is small ore big Bass you are catching
Keep them nice Pict floating, are enjoin them very much.
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 9:00pm
Great work again,

p.j. Trophy Bass are 50cm and over, Dream fish are 60cm. Very limited numbers in the 60cm range have been caught but they have been caught
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 9:14pm
p.J,

Im fishing well away from the salt, probably 20/30 kms, these creeks are small tributaries off major creeks that flow to the salt.
At times they are just slow running streams, with small clear holes, in dry times, no current just holes in deeper sections.....avearge depth in holes 1 mt+ up to around 2 to 3 mts in the big holes.....at the moment weve had rain, and fish could just make it up this far, during floods this area is un imaginable and these creeks turn into torrents of water that cover many acres of farm land.
Average fish is approx..........20..35 cms......a good fish from here would be 40 cm, these creeks are average 3 to 5 metres wide at the very biggest point.
I still believe the 50cm fish is here, and its my goal to find it!!!!!!!!Wink
Jas

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 9:15pm

Keep em coming Nicho. It has been said many times before, and by me, that you have a fantastic back yard. There must have been a good spawning this year with all the rain, so your next few years should be looking good as well.

Martin-

NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 9:49pm
Excellent stuff once again Jas!!! keep em coming!!!!

Nick
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:13am
Great pictures again Jason, keep them coming.
Wish I could have been there!!!!!!
Verlon
Baitman
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:07am
maybe one day you will get over this way verlon and Ill take you for a look around my backyard.Thumbs Up
Jas

mdlures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
MD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:52am
Jas, it's a shame you can't get access to that creek as I bet there is some top fun to be had there. I know a creek on a property near the Glass house Mountain's that has a healthy population of bass in it, but the land owner is a VERY un-friendly gentleman who also is not afraid to take a pot shot at you  Cry

cheers
Mark
MDlures
traditional hand carved fishing lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 10:08am
mark,
If you send a PM, gps marks, exact location etcWink id give it a goLOL

seriously though its a shame, if I had someone take the time to track me down, and ask permission to gain access to a creek, Id respect the fact that they had the decency to ask and Id give them a chance........If they stuffed up theyd be out, if they done the right thing they would be welcome back.
Sign of the times I suppose...............too many idiots in the past abusing the system, have ruined it for a lot of people.............its now a shame that decent people now have to do the wrong thing and sneak in if they want to explore a bit of creek. I still dont understand that if you pull up at a road bridge and walk the creek, which is not fenced, how thats harming anybody.
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:54pm
Bass have gone off the bite.past 2 days cooler than usual, and recent rain has creeks flowing,
seems the fish get up under the undercut banks and are not too keen to venture out and about in the current.
Still nice out theRe today, several fish flashed up under the lures, but not aggresive enough to hit themConfused
The bird and animal life was alive in the creek though.
Dozens of water dragons jumping into the water as I passed, one even came up close for a look.
An Echidna came casually along the creek bed also, but paniced when he seen me and hid his head under a big log.
Found a little lure that had been hanging up under a bank for a very long time(id say years), it is completely covered in hard black mould, a small scratch shows a bit of color underneath.......20 minutes with a light scourer and soap and warm water revealed a nice little 50mm nilsmaster.
No fish but a great arvo.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:17pm
Jas. nice afternoon for it Thumbs Up shame about the fish, but the wind was damnedcold the last 2 days.
That lure might be a Nilsie Invincible 5 by the look

CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:38am
Great picture Jason, good find also, maybe the fish will hit next time.
Keep trying,
Verlon
Baitman
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:49pm
Headed out for a few hrs this arvo on the Noosa river, plan was to find a small creek ive wanted to explore, passed it for 25 years, no boat access, so a few KM paddle was needed to reach it in the kyaks.
On the way we passed an area I like for Jacks, and it wasnt long till a nice Mangrove Jack smashed one of my small....BARNACLE BILL lures, he put up a good fight and took a bit of stopping as he headed for the mangrove roots. Not a big fish at 42cm but a nice feed(tomorrows dinner....chilli Jack boneless fillets with veges and rice)
Was happy with the catch, as the same lure got several nice Bass a couple of weeks ago.
The Jack was light in color, probably due to him feeding up on the sandy shallows......he soon got his deep red color back after a bit of time .
Eventually we
Headed into the creek, very shallow and narrow with and logs blocking the way, after some wading and log hopping we found a bit more open water............the goal was locating wild bass, this section would hold bass and Jacks, but time was running out before dark, so this was an exploratory trip for future reference.

Finally came to the end of the creek. where we found a rock bar, with fresh flowing water......A quick walk revealed small dark freshwater holes..............Bass for sure.........but no time today.
The trip home was great, dead calm, great sunset.........Definately worth the effort.
And Fresh Jack for tomorrows Dinner.Thumbs Up

NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:24pm
Excellent stuff Jas!!!!!

i am doing an exploration trip with a Fella down the road... we are camping at Tiaro and i plan on taking me yak to tow behind the tinny for a exploration run up some little creeks!!!

cheers Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic