Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Ollies Stingrays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inspiration from my Leopard Sailfin Pleco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inspiration from my Leopard Sailfin Pleco
    Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:42am
Thought I share this recent inspiration from my Leopard Sailfin Pleco I have in my Aquarium, always been keen on this pattern, lures are 60mm and they're the reverse Stingray body, Jake and I are going to give them the R & D on the weekend.
Also attached another inspiration from photos of a Baby Cuttlefish a LL member send me, see pictures.
All lures are handcarved from white Beech and handpainted.
Cheers
Ollie

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:48am
Ollie, Ollie,

Sensational cuttly...are you sure its not real!!!!!

If you made them say 100mm, the south coast snapper boys down here would be your biggest customer. Especially at this time of year as the cuttlies 'pop' up after breeding and the reddies gorge themselves on them. Reds to 6kg are regularly being taken over the past few weeks.

Your colours are 100% on the money.

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:24am
how cool is that , awesome awesome and awesome .. i will be pushing myself to be able to learn to paint and shape like that ... want one need one ....... cheers aaron ..      oh the plecy is very cool also
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:47am
OLLIE your a pure artise buddy they a STUNNERs mateClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapREGARDS BOB
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:10am
done it again mate..............that cuttlefish is very good.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:23pm
Awesome, Ollie,  you have DONE it again.
Verlon
Baitman
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:40pm
love both lures ollie but that cuttlefish is fantasticClap pearcey
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:13pm
Excellent work Ollie....the cuttlefish is simply outstandingSmile
Anthony.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:25pm
Works of art Ollie - WOW! Artistic
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 5:22pm

Wow , that is some awesome work , the cuttlefish is a master piece ,

edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 5:29pm
Thank you for your nice comments, certainly enjoy making them(great thearapy), currently going through my other models and try to give them a realistic finish. Keep you posted.

@ Wadey, the cuttlefish is 90mm without the bib, would be great to see a big Red hanging of it.

Cheers
Ollie
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 5:34pm
Ollie

you've nailed the leopard pattern but the cuttlefish is likely to get you in trouble for keeping it out of the water it's that lifelike.

Simon
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:28pm
Ollie WOW what can I say that has not already been said my friend,Artistic you are just so incredibly talented 666666
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:44pm
OMG....that cuttlefish, I thought you were joking in it's first pic as it looked like you put a bib up against a real one - FANTASTIC
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:58pm
Well done Ollie,

I love the Hypostomus Plecostomus   dude they are an awesome fish to watch.   I've spent thousands on them over the years and only have one left now. 

Great work mate Thumbs Up
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
love the countershaded spots on the lures at the top Ollie,how the heck did you get e'm so perfect?!,your cuttlefish is a ripper tooThumbs Up
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:41pm
You are the Man, Ollie
Brilliant ClapClapClapClap
Toga Fever
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:22am
Good morning Ollie ,
these are just B......dy beautiful ,great work you are sure raising the bar on the lure makers high jump,congrats on these beauties .
Regards Darcy.

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:34am
The bar is too high for me.
Ollie, is the Cuddle fish what we call Squid?
The best to Y'all,
Verlon
Baitman
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 12:38pm
Cuttlefish are from the same family Verlon (cephalopods) - taste just as yummy as squid too! Tongue Giant Cuttlefish get up to two feet long

Ollie has done a great job of matching the hatch here - they are truly amazing to see when they "light up" I think it's part of their defense mechanism (along with an ink cloud), they are also very adept at camoflaging themselves.

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:41pm
Thanks Tony, it wouldn't surprise me if Ollie doesn't make the next ones light up and squirt ink.LOLLOLThumbs UpThumbs Up
Verlon
Baitman
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:59pm
Sensational lures, Ollie.  That's real art! ClapClapClap
Travers
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:17pm
Wow, you guys have just blown me away with your comments, thank you.

@ ausbasstony, they sure are a pretty fish, had this one since he was 50mm long and he is now 300mm long, not sure if he gets any larger in 6 foot tank.

@ Tony, thank you for clarifing the difference between cuttlfish and a squid, we have watch these guys on night dives over at Straddie near Shag rock, the colour shifts are amazing to watch.

Cheers
Ollie 
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:39pm
Ollie - If its not too much trouble, can I get you to carve one up for me???
about this big should do Confused

Not sure how much wood you would need but before Fathers day would be great
Thanks

wadeyLOL

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:40pm
How much Bread Crumb did you use on that Wadey? LOLLOLLOL
Toga Fever
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm
Ollie I kneel before your brilliance, I have just seen this post and your work is absoulutely awe inspiring,keep em coming please, bloody brilliant. Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 8:11am
Thank you Lofty, means a lot esepecially when it comes from a talented lure maker like yourself and like so many other great luremakers on this site, just great to be able to share it with people who have a great appreciation for lures and lure making.
Cheers
Ollie
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
Ollie words fail me. You rock!
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic