Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures > JD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JD/Eddy Lures SHUTTING DOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JD/Eddy Lures SHUTTING DOWN
    Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 1:37pm
Hi everyone
I have had to come to a final decision today and im sad to announce that as of next week we will be doing a step by step total shutdown of JD/Eddy Lures.
We cant hang on any longer and the struggle has taken my heart out of it.
The business has been costing us money to keep open ever since the floods, fish kills and poor economic climate and we can no longer afford to operate it.
We may keep our facebook page open as it costs nothing but the web site etc will be closed.
I have some current orders on the go that I will fullfill but from there we will most likely just clean out all existing stock.
A big thankyou for all my loyal customers and friends that have stayed with me and supported us.  

JD
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 1:45pm

Very sad news and sorry to hear you will be closing.

JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 1:52pm
Thanks mate

Cant compete with the huge amount of imports any more.
The Natives sector was really our last bastion of hope and with that being so tough there is no funds left in the coffers.
I can see things being very tough for Aussie lure makers to survive in almost all sectors soon.

Tells a story when you return from such a succesfull event as the expo and not one order on the web site.
Tasmanians wont support local makers, they have there head in the clouds with imported plastic stuff.
I usually sell quite a lot of Trout gear in the lead up to our open season.
The season opened this weekend gone and I have not sold a lure in this state for 5 months.
The last 3 years I would have earned a better income in dole que LOL

Anyway, thats business, you win some you lose some.
Im going fishing.
Got a shit load of lures to do it with LOL

JD
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:28pm
Mate this is very sad news indeed,,the slow death of a classic Australian lure manifacturer,,would there be any one on this site without one of your lures,,I have tried to push Australian lures to my mates who OWN their own shops,,no there is just no profit in them,,,buying a lure for $12 & reselling the same lure for $25 is just not worth it,,they all love the imports for $1.95 & then resell them for $25 since I have had this conversation with the owner(my mate) I have stopped buying lures that are not off this site,,in 20 years time when there are no Aussie lure makers left,,we can all blame our selves for not suporting them now,,,Gary,,,this is sad news indeed
froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:50pm
Sorry to hear that Jamie , thanks for all the great lures and many more years of fishing them. Pm me if with what stock you have left to clear outWinkWinkfroggy ( nigel ) We all need to support Aussie lure makers to stop this from happening ( whos to blame ) people that buy the imports. 
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 3:05pm
Guys

Whatever stock is on the web site will be the last of it in any amounts.
I have a sale on at the moment for 20% off all large cod lures and once there gone and the stocks dwindle the web site will be closed.

JD
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 3:51pm
Enjoy the fishing!

But it's sad news.  I love your lip rippa's.  Unfortunately I don't have any need for cod lures.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 5:23pm
I'm devastated Jamie. You have a good range of lures and add to that the Eddy's range and you have all species covered. We need educating to buy Aussie made lures only. I was glad that I met you at the expo and I enjoyed our talks. Debbie Dare.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 7:26pm
thats very sad Jamie you are very highly regarded as a luremaker and very highly regarded as a good bloke.all the best mateThumbs Up
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 7:36pm
As I said on Facebook mate ,,,thats F#$%Cked ,, it is really sad to hear ! But I love your comment  "Im going fishing.Got a shit load of lures to do it with"   Clap   Thats the spirit ,,, screw 'em all ! 
I like pretty painted sticks
firststrike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firststrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 8:56pm
What a bugger. Another good one gone. Sorry to to see you leave the industry Jamie. Enjoy your fishing and best of luck with everything
firststrike
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:54pm
It's sad to see Australia being ruled by the Dragon Mart and fast becoming a dumb country, for what we are losing.

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:44am
I hear you mate i hear you..These imports are crazy.One bloke i know (and i  bought lures off Shocked) imports plastic swimming lures from china and gets 30,000 in each shipment and costs him 20 - 50 cents each and range from 30 mm to 200mm..They even paid his way to visit the factory.The problem is they work very well or should i say tooooo well and for a fraction of the cost of Au stuff. Absolute madness..Same here, I NO LONGER MAKE LURES.
All the best mate.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
Another legend gone, sorry to hear that Jamie. I can see the collectors hands shaking already, as they reach for that moldy old change purse.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
frehley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frehley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 8:59am
ahh that sucks i only just boght some ripper lures off ya!!
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:04am
Really sad to hear. I don't know you or your lures but that doesn't matter. Shame things didn't work out. I amazed that nothing came of the expo for you. I wish Aussies had the same protectionism mentality as say the Americans or the Japanese, in my experience they buy local before anything else.

Angus
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 1:30pm
best of luck jamie, i cant see how you guys could make a living full time these days, times change i suppose, internet/costs etc etc.......the world is a BIG BUSINESS THESE DAYS AND LOTS OF SCRUPULOUS BUSINESS MEN amongst them.......enjoy your fishing mate, and if your ever up on the sunshine coast look me up, we will go wet a line Thumbs Up
glad i bought a few extras from you last year,  they are allways a good lure.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:49am
Sad to hear your having to pull the pin Jamie, I just got home from the Expo trip to read this, I wish you the best, have fun fishing 
Cheers
Wal    
Illusion Lures
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:39pm
Hi Jamie
just my opinion,, the worst thing for the Aussie lure industry is us collectors
we get a set put on the wall and thats it, no return customers unless a new colour or model out
in over thirty years i have never seen a tackle box with only Aussie lures in it, i mean Aussie made
we have a lot here that are made overseas and then stamped Aussie fishing Lure
i like Bombers for Barra mate uses Reidy's B52 one made in china one in mexico
both work well

i think we need to use what we collect, buy a double one on the wall one for the tackle box? 
just my thoughts

kind regards George

JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:35pm
Hey Bluey

Collectors do no harm mate, anyone who expects to make money out of them is kidding thereselves. You guys just add to the tally of guys that fish with and buy the lures.

I dont blame any one part of the industry or anglers for the demise of things, at the end of the day it costs a lot to go fishing so anglers have every rite to use what they think gives them the best chance of putting a bend in the rod. I do believe that if a lot more actualy gave our gear a run over all the hype out there about imported gear they may be pleasantly surprised but you cant make people use it.
Its the way Australia has always been really in regards to tackle. You couldnt ever really get that much that was Aussie made once so everything was imported mostly from USA etc. This is why the brands that have stayed in the arena still find loyalty to product. Its the difference between a country with thousands of years history compared to our relatively young history. Its funny though, you watch all the USA fishing videos etc and you dont see anything much that isnt made in the USA. They are very patriotic people. The problem is not so much that Aussie anglers dont support us its more that if they did back us more then we could build all this gear they want better and more suited to our fish species than the stuff they are using but if we cant get over the hype and sell it theres no point trying to build it.
Just the way of the world these days but its going to be a hell of a shame when a small handfull of importers and multi nationals will pretty much own the entire Australian tackle industry like whats happened in our supermarkets etc and the ones that are based here are getting all the work done overseas with a lot exploiting virtual slave labour to do it.

JD

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:53pm
cheers mate, point taken
was picking sultana and wine grapes in Robinvale near Mildura on the Murray River
renting a shed off a farmer and he came over with a apple box of onions for us
as he was getting ready to plough them back into the paddock, as could not afford the labour to pick them over imported onions, yet he already paid for seed caultivation water ect, where is our government mmmm
sorry did not want to get off topic

all the best regards George
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:36pm
Yes mate its happening in all industry now

You cant manufacture here and have any hope of competing with countries who have no workers rites etc.
Something that happened the other day really help[ed me make my mind up though to shut down.

My father was fishing along a shoe]reline at a local lake and had caught a couple of nice atlantic salmon and a trout on one of my minnows.
A guy fishing a bit further round had been casting a rapala most of the day and had only got one hit.
He walked up to my father and asked him what he was catching the fish on and dad responded " one of my sons JD minnows " and showed the fella my lure.
The bloke replied " oh OK ive got a heap of those in my box, ive had them for two years ".
Dad said to him " what do you think of them ? "
The bloke reponded " dont know, ive never used one " and then continued on casting his rapala ?? LOL

How do you beet that mindset ?

JD
lungi View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lucinda Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lungi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 7:42am

G’day Jamie,

I am very sad to see yet another small Aussie lure making business go down the drain. From a bloke who has been in a similar position with my Lucinda Lures, my heart goes out to you.

It is a terrible experience to have to stop something that you have put heart and soul into due to circumstances beyond your control. At least in my situation I was able to use poor health as the excuse but really that was only partly responsible. As you so rightly say, cheap imports allow very high profit margins which make our cottage industry product completely uncompetitive and unviable.

This problem is exacerbated by all fishing publications pushing the imported product, in particular, soft and hard body plastics. The local lures hardly ever crack a mention. Perhaps this is understandable considering the advertising dollar paid to publishers by the tackle sales industry who naturally wants to sell their most profitable items.

As always in recent times, the determining factor for business viability comes down to good profits and less cost to the consumer.

I reckon that Australia’s cottage industry lure business is well and truly over.

My advice to you Jamie is to retain your remaining stock as a superannuation fund/private collection for eventual sale as funds are required. If your lures have a good reputation their price will increase due to scarcity through natural attrition etc.

Mind you, as I have found out, some people out there seem to have issues with ex-lure makers retaining and selling some of their lures. I have no sympathy with them considering the amount of time, research, development and cost I have put in over the years for little return other than the pride of producing a very good product.

Cheers mate and all the very best.
Cheers Lou,

Just bung ' em in the water mate & hang on !!
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:43am
Yes mate

All boils down to the mighty dollar in the end.
Im not so much had enough of struggling to make money as ive always had to deal with that and have always made enough to keep me going even though some years I would have earnt more on the dole LOL

What has completely killed my passion for it is pretty much as you say, the bombardment of imported product, the willingness by anglers, media outlets, guru anglers/journalists and big fishing events/TV shows to want to go with and promote it.
Like I said, I have many profiles and designs in my workshop, some of them would rival most gear on the market if produced im sure but it wont matter how good the lure is the consumer will not buy it over the media driven gear.
Its almost brain washing, you must have a japanese imported two plastic lure thats worth 30 bucks to catch Bream, you must use a 25 dollar lipless two part plastic lure for Yellas etc etc etc.
Fishing has become more about being trendy and im afraid if its not getting splashed all over the magazines and tv it aint trendy.
What a lot of people dont realise about the big guns of the industry is in a lot of cases they dont just do fishing tackle. They have big chains in tackle scattered across the globe yes, but they also into automotive, hardware, sports equipment etc etc and so have the marketing budget to pound it with.
We try and scratch up enough for an 80 dollar add in a local fishing mag and theve just spent $80,000 worldwide for advertising LOL
No competing with that.

I most likely will be boxing up my operation and as you say keep it as a retirement thing or they can bury me with it for all I care LOL. I know its probrably not the rite thing to say but at this pressent time im disgusted to be part of the industry and have lost any drive to stay in.

JD    
lungi View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lucinda Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lungi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 9:37am
Quote:. I know its probrably not the rite thing to say but at this pressent time im disgusted to be part of the industry and have lost any drive to stay in.

I know where you are coming from Jamie; I dropped out in disgust a while ago & it's only in the last few weeks that I have been encouraged to join this forum where there seems to be a good bunch of people but it's early days yet. 
Cheers Lou,

Just bung ' em in the water mate & hang on !!
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:41am
Jamie . . . sorry to hear of your decision to wind up and hopefully you can still enjoy the fishing part.
Come and join us at the Pedder Homebake in November to celebrate Aussie lure makers.

Regards
MXB
Drewb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:28pm
Am really sorry to find out that you are winding up Jamie, I loved your lures at the expo and they are on my list of lures to buy soon as i have some more cash. As a total newbie to this industry (before going to the expo I thought all lures were plastic and mass produced other than a few people who made the odd ones here and there) I am amazed at the skills and patience that people like your self have. thanks again for putting in the effort.
Cheers Drew
irish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 11:27pm
Hi.

Jamie we have not met i am in Junee NSW. I first met your lurers about two years ago, then your lurers met some Murry Cod not long after. I have some crome ones that i brought of Adrain Preston at Robinvale thay dont see the water.

Also a set of the Glow in the Dark lurers still in the box's, wont see the water either.

Sir, it is my oppinion, that the action of your Murry Cod lurers is second to none! ClapClap 

You will be receving a order for you lurers on your site from myself.

Best of luck.

Irish.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic