LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Luremakers Biographies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jim McConnachie Lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jim McConnachie Lures
    Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 8:07pm

Finally got to catch up to Jim and do a Bio.
Unfortunately a lot of folks possibly do not know of him. Certainly when I started work for Jack Erskine in 1978 Jim was supplying the shop and had been since 1974 with some fantastic handmade lures.

The most sort after were his bibless in the 7" and the 10" which were used by all the game boats in the fleet at that stage.

Many many overseas anglers and crew certainly bought their fair share to take back overseas as they were great fish catchers that were built to withstand a multitude of northern species from Tuna and Mackerel to plenty of Marlin being landed on them.

Born in Ayr in 1940 and when old enough Jim was fishing almost every weekend with his family around the Berdekin and neighbouring rivers and creeks.

He moved to Cairns in 1970 and continued fishing.Jim mostly baitfished in Ayr but soon got involved in the sportfishing club and began sportfishing.Some of the early members of the club were George Bryden,Laurie Woodbridge,Allan Cullington,Doug Hudson,John Mondora,Jack Erskine and Eddie Pratt.

However as per a lot of anglers in the early days Jim found good lures hard to get and quite expensive so he decided to make his own.He liked using the 6lbs and 9lbs line for fishing but loosing lures was expensive.

He read an article on Luremaking in the USA magazine Popular Mechanics and that is when he gave it a go.The first minnow style ones were as per the article with a saw cut down the underside of the lure and he made a frame out of welding wire then soldered it all together. the wire was then layed in the groove and glued.He made a bib out of a piece of laminex which he hand filed, and never ever used that first lure.

Some of Jim's first sportfishing was in the freshwater and as a result he made some quite small lures for this.One of those lures was the Wounded Guava which went on to be highly successful for Black Bream (Sooty Grunter).The theory is that when the decaying guava's fell from the trees into the water the Bugs and maggots  inside them would fall in too and this is what the Sooties loved and it did not take Jim long to realise that when they were falling regularly the Sooties would pounce on them immediately they came to rest on the water.

Jim was fishing one day with Gary Wright and Gary asked if he could try one of his lures.Gary soon lost it and asked for another and as time went on many of Jim's mates wanted his lures so he thought bugger it  I am going to make a few more and charge them a $1 each for them hoping it would slow them down but it didn't.

In 1971 he first  met Maurie Brown who was already making a few handmade lures and Jim made some blanks for him.

Jim noticed some of Mauries minnows and this led to making his own minnow lures.Not long after Laurie Woodbridge gave Jim a bibless of his that needed repair.Jim soon started making his own version of the bibless after Laurie told him of their great success in the bluewater.That would have been about 1975.
Jim got into making freshwater lures for Jungle Perch,Sooty Grunter and Barra and was getting a few orders from Bransford's Tackle Shop on the waterfront in Cairns.

Things started to get a bit tedious cutting the bibs out with tinsnips so Jim made a punch to do this job in 1978.

He started twisting all his wires with a nail and pliers but that was too slow so a hand drill in a vice and a pair of pliers at the tail end stared moving things along more efficiently.The wires were mostly Gal with the latter bibless going onto heavy duty Stainless Steel wires.

All the lures were White Beech

Initial painting was with Spray Cans but this soon became too expensive so in 1975 Jim bought an airbrush and used a car tyre for a compressor.

In 1977 he then bought a Clisby compressor and used it with great success.
Jim's first templates for lure shapes were cut from Coke cans but soon that went to Gal Tin with a bit more thickness.

For painting patterns Mosquito net was initially used.

Jim was having trouble with clear coats but Jack Erskine came to the rescue with his Diamond One Coat rod finish which worked a treat but increasing costs later on led Jim to using Envirotex 2 pac epoxy.
Dribbling paint was a major problem for Jim when painting so he came up with an idea similar to Jack Erskines rod drying machines.

Jim made his own rotisseri oven wooden boxes for drying.They took approximately 30  7" bibless or 40 bibbed lures at the one time.

As Jim went more and more commercial he gradually upgraded efficiency.He had trouble boring the holes accurately in his lures so he made a wooden bench for his lathe and turned the lathe into a horizontal boring machine which in turn sped up the boring process and gained greater accuracy at the same time.The hole for the front top eyelet on the bibless was bored into the lead weight to gain greater strength for the eye as well as keeping the lead better in place.

The blank timber was cut out with a bandsaw and then all the holes were drilled so as to give centres for the carving process.The  handcarving was done with a Stanley knife and then the shaped lure was hand sanded with a small sanding board to the painting stage.

The bibs were then glued in and the back of the lure sat into a piece of coolite so while drying they would stay upright and square.

Most of Jim's early lures were not signed but most of the latter ones had JM on them.

The bibs were initially cut from alloy window frames and flat but these tended to bend too easily so Jim made a hand machine out of water pipe to concave the zinc anneal bibs.

Jim seen the need to make a copy lathe so started to make one however in 1981 circumstances changed and he stopped making commercially and moved to Mareeba in 1982.

He has made an odd one between 1982 and 2010 just so he had enough for his own fishing. Hopefully Jim will get back into it as he is certainly an important part of Australian Lure history.On saying farewell to Jim and his wife he pulled out quite a few unfinished lures which he said that he may get the enthusiasm once again and finish them off.

In his retirement Jim make Wood bowls and small Jewellery boxes which have to be seen to be believed. With his bowls he is the only one in Australia doing what he does with them.They look like an inlay  of all different timbers over a base timber but the are not as you think.The small pieces are all solid and go through to the other side.He keeps it a secret how he does it.

Below you will find some interesting pics of Jim and his workshop.

Bibs and wires ready to go.

some 20 year old bibless
Some blank bibless and minnows
A few bibless leads
Some moulds that Jim made melting alloy cans over a steel shape that he handfiled to shape.
Jim's Rotisseri oven.
 The Rotisseri motor 
20 year old hooks
7" bibless waiting for paint.
Some rubber moulds that Jim made but did not pursue making the lures.
Jims interim drying table.
Original bibless templates
Original minnow templates
Jim's alloy washer punch used for all his rattling lures.
Hand made Bib punches
The secret to Jim's rattle was 2 alloy washers and a ball bearing.
A simple wire twister.
Part of Jim's shed
Some bibless blanks some with rattles
Some minnow blanks
More blanks
Some early JM lures
More early ones
Later lures albeit these are 20 odd years old
Some bibless
early and experimental
Barra minnows
More nilsie minnows
The drying rack before the clear cote in the rotisseri

Some of what Jim does now

The patterns are solid through not inlayed.The white borders are 1mm thick,unbelievable.

Rats like Jim's lures also

Part of Jim's tacklebox.

The Journey is the Reward

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:49pm
Wow
Another great report barry.

Awesome lures, the finishes on them are great and a lot of detail with rattles.  Some solid shapes in there.

His other wood work looks impressive. 

A lot of detail in this one will be back to look a few times I reckon.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:27pm
What a great read, thank you Barry, and thank you Jim  Clap

What Jim is able to do with a humble piece of timber is simply mind numbing - an artisan of the highest order I'd say!

I am lucky enough to have one of Jim's lures in my collection, I hope that I'm fortunate enough to find some more in the future!

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:35pm
Hi Barry, excellent bio on jim...ClapClapClap I bet there were a few cups of tea
consumed doing this one...WinkWinkWinkWink....Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:09am
Thanks Barry,

That was a very interesting read.
It is amazing how innovative people can be when the need to streamline the lure making process arises due to an increased demand for their product. We can only hope that one day Jim may finish some of those lure blanks he has left in the shed.

Regards
Adrian
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 7:06am
Jim gave me assurances that he would finish off some more lures possibly late this year or early next year.
I may be able to convince him to let Lurelovers members have first crack at them when the time arises.

Trout_Hunter View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:14pm
Great story on a great bloke. What you see in the photos is a small fraction of his unbelievable work. I will add a couple of photos of his lures and mention that I have never caught a fish on his bibless lures but as Jim says "you have to take them out of the box and put them in the water" - one day. The big one is a mock-up with the wrong type hooks

Trout_Hunter

Trout_Hunter View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm
Couldn't see the big lure I'll try again.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 11:11pm
Welcome aboard Trout_Hunter, and thank you for sharing the pics of your JM lures, they look fantastic Clap

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 6:33am
NOW THIS BLOKES a master lure maker & wood mechanic .....regards bobClapClapClapTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:27pm
great story inspires me to turn my mancave into a lure making cave if i can master it 
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:08pm
great pics and info, i have one confirmed lure of Jims with rattle    (a bibless)
good to see how it's all done, love the big lures
and boxes are a work of art
regards George
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:21pm
On visiting Jim last week he came up with some more bib cutting dies that he made for his lures.

The above is a bib concaver that Jim used to put a flat bib in and then a piece of waterpipe was hooked under the circle of steel and levered down onto the bib.

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 6:14pm
Thanks Barry,

Those dies look great. Did he tell you how he cut them out? It would have been a big job if he didn't have access to a milling machine.

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 6:54pm
Adrian I did not ask but will do .I do know he had them hardened.

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:34pm
Barry, thanks for putting this story of Jim's lure making together.ClapClap

It's a great read.

Travers
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:58pm
Travers now you know why I looked gobsmacked in the other post. I spent 3-4 fabulous hours talking with Jim & Barry. His skills working with wood and producing great lures are superlative. After Barry's previous post I secured several of his lures which are pretty special and so to visit and chat with him was only second to having lunch with Vc McCristal on my bucket list for Cairns.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Jimmac View Drop Down

JM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:42pm
The bib cutters were made by hand boring holes and lots of filing filing.  They were then hardened immersing in melted cyanide "pillows".  At least I think that is what it was.  All this was done in about 1983, so I am relying on slippery memory cells resting under white hair..  Wink.
Jim
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:59pm
Thanks for the reply Jim,

I thought you would have put a lot of work into these. They are a credit to you.
That melted cyanide sounds a bit dangerous.

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
Jimmac View Drop Down

JM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 10:06pm
Adrian, the process is bloody dangerous.  It was done by a professional in proper surroundings and he happens to be a close friend and doesn't mind a feed of fish, if you get my drift.  Wink Smile  Certainly some thing that should NOT be attempted by any body other that a professional.
Jim
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 6:58am
Thankyou for the explanation Jim.There are still so many things that I need to ask.

darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:30am
HI Barry 
A great bio ,certainly a great lure maker there ,well done .
Regards Darcy.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:40pm
I missed this thread...great story captain and thanks for sharing it Jim.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 7:53pm
MAN OMAN WOW
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 6:40am
Just found this meself...what a great read,a true legend and a gentleman....ClapClap

Mick!!!
jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:54am
Thank you Barry that was a comprehensive look into a great lure maker/artist this is what I love seeing on lure lovers 
jack
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 7:44pm
Spot on boys, a great read about the process of making great lures. How nice was the backhoe ??? Clap
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 6:21am
Mick I am lost with the Backhoe.A bit slow today.

Drewb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 8:33pm
My daughter and I were lucky enough to meet Jim on Sunday at the lure expo in Fernvale, I have heard of JM Lures but never knew who made them. I bought a blank from Jim and my daughter was checking out his lures that were finished in a box. Jim then gave her a free lure, she has just sat here with me reading this post and is now even more excited about the lure she received. In Bella's words  "thank you thank you  thank you :) ". when I learn how to put a picture on here I will post a picture of her with the lure 
thanks again  Drew
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:35pm
Great photos and a great read!
cheers steiny
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:31pm
Hi all I had the pleasure to talk to Jim on saturday at the lure expo and can only say what an absolute true aussie gentleman .
Regards Darcy.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 9:24pm
I only had a small chat with Jim, saw a little piece of one of his demonstrations, but got the same impression.
Had the pleasure of passing on a lump of Huon Pine I was given, to him, and he looked like a kid in a candy shop, whipped out a knife, gave it a quick nick and said he was looking forward to playing with it. I wait with interest to see what he comes up with.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tony27 View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:03pm
I am really impressed with this man's work.
Looks a nice bloke too.
Tony27
Tony@Sting
2RODS View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2RODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:33pm
Happy to say I have a few of his lures in my collection . Never seen a hook or the water. And never will.
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 6:16am
Thanks for posting Barry , great reading , Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic