LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jindabyne Trout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jindabyne Trout
    Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:01pm
Hi everyone.

I have been doing quite a few trips to Jindabyne over the last couple of years, and the trip this week inspired me to start a thread for this wonderful lake. It always seems to produce, and this trip was no different. We got all four salmonid species on Thursday, then again on Friday. While the 85cm Atlantic salmon was the biggest fish and would be the highlight of most trips, for me it was the Brook trout. The colours on these fish were nothing short of spectacular. They are hard to come by in Jindabyne, but once we had found one we were then able to find a few more in the same area.

Beautiful Brook trout

Atlantic Salmon

The Brown trout, although not overly large, were more frequent than all other species combined

Plentiful Rainbow trout were fun on the cast and troll

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
codyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote codyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:44pm
Some great looking fish mate 👍 the brook trout sure is a beauty..

Blake.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 6:04pm
Great pictures! Still, on my bucket list...
Fysshe
mafled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 6:46pm
Lovely photos Danny. The brookies are a great looking fish. Yet to get one myself.
Darren
No the other one
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 6:48pm
don't know anything about trout, but they all look fat and healthy........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:20pm
Danny What an outstanding trip. Thanks for the info and great photos Those brook trout were very well marked and the largest I have seen.
I have not seen an Atlantic salmon previously.
It was a little nippy early in the mornings  did you have any early starts.

Were they all caught on your lures.
Regards John
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
All great looking fish with their different markings, but those brooks are beautiful. Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:55am
As you say Danny that brook trout is a stunning fish..you certainly have that lake worked out. TThe big one looks like it ran into a bus. Never caught a trout like many here..will have to get down there one day.

Cheers Brad
whipit
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by whipit whipit wrote:

The big one looks like it ran into a bus.

They're not a pretty fish, the big male Atlantics, that's for sure.

It's funny how evolution works. The big kype and cleft upper jaw can't help a fish to feed and hunt, but it must work well with the ladies.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:21pm
some great fish there Danny,that brooky is beautifulThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:54pm
Bloody lovely
and yes im jealous.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:58pm
Hi guys,

Yes certainly some stunning fish. Can't wait to get back there again.

John most were caught on my lures, which is always nice. We had some early starts and fished after dark. Trolling micro lures with stealth in the shallower margins was deadly, and by far the most successful.

Cheees,

Danny.
Echo Lures
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Great trip Dan, and some nice fish there-----great pictures too.
Will have to get up there and have a look Ouch.

Full moon too Wacko.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:02am
Thanks Danny

There does not appear to be a lot of lure tossing/ trolling in the evenings at all.

It appears you are one of the few trying it and having success.
We have fished the minnow of the shore  with success
Regards John

jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:30pm
Some awsome fish there Danny,and well doneThumbs Up
THE CODFATHER
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm
Well done Danny, congrats !!
Cheers Steve R
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:24am
There some pretty fish Danny and looking at the finish on your lures I reckon you found another reason for fish striking lures 

"Jealousy"   
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:35pm
Thanks guys.

Pete I've noticed a bit of breeze is the main ingredient for serious success. I also just go when I have the chance. Planning trips around weather and lunar cycles is a single man's luxury. I could just be lucky or it could be a credit to the lake, but we always seem to find fish there so if I have a window to hitch the boat up and drive the two hours then I'll always go.

Paul I don't know about jealousy. Maybe they're just tired of seeing the same annoying thing swim past their face as I've been going there a bit lately.

Cheers,

Danny.

Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:04pm
Agree 100% need the wind blowing for good results

Regards John
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:08am
that wind factor is a great tip thanks guysThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:35pm
Is hat one of the 2 fingered parasites on the belly of the Brook Trout 
Last time I caught trout all the fish I landed had at least 2 of them 
I have only seen them on marlin and some tuna 1 small 45kg one was covered with them they were 10 times larger than the ones on the trout 
Have you ever seen them, and do you know what they are called 

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:11pm
Had a couple of sessions in the mountains over the weekend. Fished Eucumbene Friday (see other thread for brief report), and then Jindy on Saturday and in the morning on Sunday.

Trolled hard bodies in close early for some nice rainbows on Saturday morning. Released a couple of small browns too. Fished progressively deeper as it got brighter and the challenges of a glass-off kicked in.

Definitely fewer fish around than Eucumbene, but what we caught were in pretty good nick. Did sound some nice marks in patches, but all lying doggo. Kept six for the smoker, released about that many also I think.

Sunday morning was a blanket of fog, keeping dawn at bay for ages. Did probably 40 mins slow in close with hard bodies and caught a tiny brown only. Changed over to winged lures, upped the speed, and got three nice browns in close to thick cover in 20 mins. Kept five for the morning.

Thinking back over where and how we found our better fish in Jindy, they were all within arms length of submerged brush or rock piles. Without unpacking one of Danny's Jindy theories here, it does seem likely to me that decent fish were hunting specifically in those places in the absence of any weedbeds. If I was a Jindabyne goldfish, I'd be living in heavy cover too.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:35am
Hi Paul,

I didn't notice any parasites on them. In fact I've never noticed one on a trout yet. Not to say they they don't have them though. Will keep a closer eye out for them.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
Sounds like you had a good trip John. There are some very good conditioned fish in Jindy at the moment. The flat conditions can certainly make life hard though. Regarding your results, I believe Jindy trout see certain structures in the lake as solid gold real estate. They are homes and places of refuge for crusaceans and smaller fish respectively. And this structure is easily accessible with trolling. Eucumbene is a completely different place. There's more structure overall in my opinion (mainly vertical dead trees) but you can just about forget trying to troll through them. It could just be me, but I feel these little patches in Jindy are heavily defended by trout showing territoriality and waiting for a feed to swim past. Eucumbene I'm sure has the same situation in some places, but I'm yet to fish it enough to know.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:10pm
Perfectly cogent hypothesis, IMO.

Another factor is the baitfish population in Jindy, which is more significant than Eucumbene (again, in my opinion). That's on two counts:

1. There's more goldfish in Jindy than in Eucumbene. Not sure why, but pretty confident that there is.

2. There's more small salmonoids stocked into Jindy than Eucumbene. Not sure what the current Snowy Mountains Trout Strategy says, but a previous version from memory had 150,000 atlantic salmon fry and 50,000 brook trout fry stocked into Jindy each year for the browns to eat. Apart from fattening the browns, what a waste of money.

With Jindy being so 'uncluttered' by structure (compared with Eucumbene), makes sense that those small fish would be hanging close to whatever hidey holes they can find. Fits your theory.

The exceptions are the yabby banks, where the prey make their own hidey holes, and the warmer months when the weedbeds flourish (making more hidey holes, including in open 'uncluttered' bays).

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:39pm
Hi John,

Yes I'd say areas around the township are especially sought after. This sounder photo is taken from my kayak, only a few metres off one of the small rock walls near Horizons. They were certainly stacked up against it. There was also a weed bed adjacent to it.

The yabby beds haven't been as productive for us this year. I'm unsure if it's due to the drop in dam level and hence a decrease in a lot of the territory I usually fish, or if it's the wind direction. We have done so well when the wind is funnelling down from the northern end of the lake. The last few trips have seen the wind coming from the south or south-east. The beds just don't seem to fish as well with this wind direction. North or North-West, as far as I can tell, is the more successful wind direction.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:23am
Someone we both know Danny, who lives and fishes in Jindy was describing thick schools of goldfish on the surface in places over the summer. That snippet of info added to what we know about the stocking failures into Jindy in recent years, suggests to me that my anecdotal observations of there being fewer fish in the lake may have been accurate. Not just me either, but easier to believe when you see it for yourself.

The hatchery has been trying to fix the issue, and IMO has been trying to fix the optics by ensuring there's big ex-hatchery fish for people to catch to deflect attention away from what otherwise would have been slim pickings. More small fish around this year, many of legal size, so the situation may be righting itself over time.

So ... if there's more goldfish because of lower predation over recent years, are the better brown more likely to switch their attention to the goldfish or continue to hunt yabbies'? That might explain your observations.

Personally, the more goldfish the better. As/if the browns population recovers they'll knock them back to baseline pretty quick, but the more bait the better IMO.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:59pm
Great photo's Danny, Like the brook trout and the colours are fantastic. 
My daughter is over in switzerland for 2 months studying Salmonidae Family and I will be keen to see what knowledge she gets out of it.

Cheer's
Dave

Life is fishing!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm
Hi John,

I have always wondered the trade-offs involved when feeding on yabbies compared to goldfish. I've caught browns that have spewed up smaller rainbows as well as goldfish. But it's never been been more than one per fish. Whereas flats browns are often literally bursting with yabbies. Sometimes a dozen or more. The yabby distribution and abundance on the beds would, I suspect, not be subject to change as quickly as say goldfish. Then again, once a weedbed is established you may see the goldfish there for that entire time. It's a tough one. I often wonder if a smaller baitfish is a much denser, higher protein meal per unit compared to a similar sized Yabby. Who knows. I feel the beds are a reliable place that browns know they can obtain a feed pretty much year round, but maybe the goldfish are a more profitable food energy wise that they will exploit over yabbies when they have the chance? So yes, agree with what you're saying regarding why the flats are possibly quieter of late.

Cheers,

Danny.

P.S. Gaden hatchery can release as many brookies as they like. Seriously love these fish!
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:42pm
Thanks Dave.

Hope she has fun and brings back some info for all of us.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

Is hat one of the 2 fingered parasites on the belly of the Brook Trout 
Last time I caught trout all the fish I landed had at least 2 of them 
I have only seen them on marlin and some tuna 1 small 45kg one was covered with them they were 10 times larger than the ones on the trout 
Have you ever seen them, and do you know what they are called 

Hi Paul,

Was reading some stuff on Rainbow trout the other day, and I remembered your post when they started discussing parasites. Did the fish you caught have ulcers around the fin areas? I'm having a guess that it is a Lernaea species, which is a copopod known as an anchor worm. You should be able to find pictures of L. cyprinacea. I do wonder if I've caught trout with them before and just never noticed the lesions, as there's not always parasites attached apparently.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:41pm
Just spent a couple of days up at Jindabyne with mates. Fishing was tougher this trip. Clear bright days with no wind had them shut down until around dusk. We still caught some quality fish (I managed all four species - browns, rainbows, brooks and salmon over the weekend) however not as many as usual. Found fish stacked up deep on the sounder each day however they weren't interested. Most were taken tickling small Echo lures in the shallows in low light. Fish of the trip was a fat 46cm brooky.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:12pm
That is a great brooky  46cmThumbs Up

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:52am
Thanks John.

Yes biggest I've seen caught from our boat. They are often such a deep bodied fish that once they get to that size they really do look enormous.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic