LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > John Geihe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Geihe lure range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Geihe lure range
    Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:55pm
Sorry I didn't know where to place this. Shift if you have to.
I gave my good friend John Geihe a project to make me a complete set of lure styles he makes. John or Ossie as a few locals know him by has been hand carving lures for his own personal use and some for mates. He was in the Tenterfield Fishing Club committee with Peter Newell and just loves his fishing. Last photo shows all important towpoints.
ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:38am
Nice set!  There's a few hours of work there.  Beautiful lures.  I love classic contrasting colours of red and black or yellow and black.
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:02am
Wow now that's an awesome set!!
Must of cost a pretty penny.

Thanks for sharing
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:40am
Now that is a great set of lures , and I love red and black . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:46am
Excellent set of lures there Deb...thanks for showing...Cool

Mick!!!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:38am
John's a champion bloke.  He lived about 3 doors up the street from where I used to live, in Tenterfield, so we used to see each other a fair bit. 

I was Secretary of the Tenterfield Fishing and Restocking Club for about 7 of the 8 years that I lived in Tenterfield and John Geihe & John Newcombe almost single-handed ran the meat raffles that raised the money for our restocking programs.

Good to see that he's still knocking out some lures.  They look pretty darn good, too Thumbs Up.

I hope to have a rushed fishing trip to Tenterfield in 2 weeks time, with RAVA and SNAFU. Was hoping to catch up with Kath Newell, so I'll have make sure that I walk across the road and say g'day to John.

Thanks for posting the lures, Deb.  We'll probably catch up with you and Brian in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Travers
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:51pm
hi  deb 
 what no yellow black
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:34pm
Top looking set there Deb Thumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:39pm
I've got 2 of John's and I had 4 but I think I swapped them to Darby. I might have a shape that isn't in your pic. It could be the top left in the first pic but it's a bit hard to see it's the red/white one in this thread.

Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:03pm
Poolie it's there. Has a slight ridge down back. Used all templates he owned to get complete set.
I do have a black and yellow but when he started making them over a year ago I already had a couple of reds so I continued with the theme. John uses a cut coke can cradle to make the v's.  Debbie D
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:23pm

Thats good to hear Deb it is a beautiful looking set, I highly doubt there would many if any sets out there keep it safe. Have you seen the action of the lure on the top right of the first pick? It is wild! I've never seen a lure with such a wide action my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I swam mine in the pool, love it. I do have to say this red/white one is my favourite lure in my tiny collection I pick it up nearly every time I walk into the shed.

Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:33pm
I'm fascinated with the smaller lures with the dipped bibs. I did a finger count when John produced them- fiddly little things. He seems to have a lure action for every situation.
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:13pm
That's a beaut set of lures Debbie, nice colour, great finish, fantastic display.
Cheers,

Gavin
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:49pm

great bloke and great lures...top stuff debbie

hunting and fishing the new england
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 7:14am
Don't put them in the water Deb.

Gordon
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 8:45am
Brian already has a few of John's lures in the fishing bucket, he uses the shallower models in the river and the deep divers in Glenlyon.  Debbie D
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 9:11am
Would love a pic of the 'coke can cradle' Deb?
cheers steiny
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:28pm
Im away at the moment. I'll take care of a photo when I return on Friday. Debbie. First time post on my new phone.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:00pm
Brian's infamous 'fishing bucket' Big smile
I've seen it and it still makes me chuckle when you mention it Deb LOL

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:30pm
It made Manny chuckle as well and that's why I caught him taking a photo of it. Brian didn't have a tacklebox until a friend gave him one for his 50th birthday. I gathered his lures up from the garage,patio and back of shop and put them in the tbox for his 55th birthday. Trouble is I picked it over on his 60th to start my collection.  Ha Ha 
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:24am
I have some sad news as on the 15/8/14 John Geihe lost his fight with cancer. He had a malignant brain tumour removed from behind his eye in October last year and after ray and several kemoes was unable to fight it of. I will miss him and his long chats. He'd come out fishing in the morning and would be still sitting talking to Brian and I at midday, and I might as well stay for lunch too. Then casually go out on the water. He was a good friend. John was in our restocking group since 1992 (when he represented Tenterfield Fishing Club along with John Newman) and President for the last 4 years.
I thought a lovely touch to the burial service was a hollowed piece of log with bush flowers and little fishing rods with John's lures hanging with hook covers on.
John participated in the river research trips down the Dumaresq R which lasted 5 years and he was a big boy so took his punt and small motor and he was placed at the stretch of water before Bonshaw weir. It was never expected to yield many fish as it's in what your call a high use area because of the campsite near the weir.
I wanted this noted for history. Nobody has to reply.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:41am
John Geihe. Written by Lori Dare my daughter.
John arrives at the Dam, its trip number nine
So many fish but not enough time
They hand out the tags and delegate the spot
"Come on Paul! Let's give it a shot".

As John packs his tucker and loads up his truck
Paul follows suit, "today we're in luck"
They head down the road with a massive smile
How many fish can they catch in that mile?

They reach the river and pile out
"We'll get some here without a doubt"
In goes the tinny with an almighty splash
As well as the rods, lures and stash.

After hours of fishing, rowing and talking
It's time to head back, dinner is calling
They hand back their totals, some much the same
Others caught nothing there was no shame.

Although not a fish was hooked that day
They did their part in a special way
Researching the river was part of the plan
Always happy to help out the old man.

As we reminisce on the times and tales
A man with a passion for a creature with scales
Not just the thrill of the catch as such
But restocking and maintaining just as much.
We will remember your efforts, your friendship, your laugh
As you leave our side, but not our heart
You will always remain on our mind
We will remember you John, a man so kind.

bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:07am
Sad news Debbie my thoughts go to his family

Cancer is a mungrel thing no one should suffer from it hopefully one day there will be a cure for it
Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:11am
great poem lori/Debbie... was a pleasure fishing with him in those surveys and bunking with him..bought back some memorys for sure...john gave me a lot of help in my lure carving and would help anyone who needed it, even through fishing club together, and just having a good yarn. RIP mate I know you will be carving a few up there.
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:51am
Condolences to the family and to the lost of your friend Debbie.
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 2:46pm
A sad time Deb, I remember better times when I knocked around with him and his brothers when we were kids ,he will surely be missed .
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 3:56pm
That is real sad news, Deb.

I caught up with John, in early June, and was shocked to see him struggling with his condition, despite the fact that he seemed upbeat about getting better.

He will be missed.

Travers
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:38pm
Sorry to hear a fine Tenterfield lure maker has passed...

Condolences to his family and his friends

handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:54pm
John had no children of his own but lucky enough to get a lot of nieces and nephews who loved fishing as well. He was very well cared for by his brother Michael and sisterinlaw Wendy who had him move in with them as soon as he was unwell. A very closeknit family was what he had and needed.    DebbieD
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:22am
Sorry to hear of John's recent passing - I was lucky enough to see his lures the last time I visited Debbie - another lure maker in lure making heaven

MXB
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 6:30pm
I only met him once, and that was when he crossed the road as I was knocking on Peter's door a few years ago. A real nice guy.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:49pm
I am John's niece (by marriage) and I'm honoured that he's been remembered so much by many. I remember him telling us one day about this place so I'm glad to have found it.
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 5:46pm
welcome bee....john was a great guy and helped myself and many people out with lures...I fished and made lures with him ...glad you found the site...
bee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 8:50pm
I'm Bianca...or Bee. Uncle John was a great person indeed. He loved his fishing and his lures immensely. We (Joseph and I plus our 2 kids) were up there at Easter, it just wasnt the same with him not here 
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:46pm
Hi Bianca and welcome to Lurelovers. I wanted John's talent to be listed publicly for all to see. I'll always treasure his friendship and his lures.   Debbie Dare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic