LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > Vintage and Collectible
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Floats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Floats
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 3:22pm
Danny's recent trip after Luderick prompted some interesting comments on that type of fishing.

I came across one of my boxes of floats, some from a by gone era.

Many hours were put together getting the paint job done , gluing / shaping the corks positioning the stem, tying the eye, adjusting the weight etc etc etc.

Only to lose the float early in the fishing session.

Anybody else have any left of some wonderful creations.

I will try and track down my other lot and add photos when located

At one stage i was importing reeds from India to make light buoyant floats

Not many   floats were marked but I did come across Denton 4 BB , ACE,(then letters faded) Japan  marked porcupine quills (looks artificial )then  the original porcupine quills from India.

Anybody else have some old creations in the shed.

Regards John

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:55pm
Thought I had more then these 2 left.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:57pm
John how many floats do you want to see.I have many,many.
The Journey is the Reward

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:07pm
I didn't see all those floats when I was down, you must of had a clean up !Thumbs Up
I only have two rubber bubble floats for those riff raff carps!!!Hug

Cheers cobber,

MAD DOG DAVE

Life is fishing!
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm
John it would be interesting to see how many boxes of tackle you own as you just about own one of everything vintage ever made haha,lets see if he bites now Mad DogBig smile
THE CODFATHER
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:26pm
John,

Very interesting. Thanks for going to the effort. All of my blackfish floats are at the coast house. I'll remember this thred and when I'm down there next I'll put some of them together for a photo.

Did you used to use some of those finer floats for fishing mudeyes etc when you were in Tasmania?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:27pm
Barry I'd love to see any old sea floats that you might have.

Cheers,

Danny.

Echo Lures
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:37pm
Barry  Any of the old style, well made ones  from the 50's and 60's when they were in vogue.

A lot of time and effort used to be put into there construction prior to the wooden lures being made.

I acquired a large group of very old style floats ,in a second hand shop. The chap reduced the prices as well, pleased to see them move on. Never used one of them and they are well hidden at the moment.

All I could think of was all the time and effort put in to there completion

Many had three or four coats of varnish.

To many Jason

Dave didn't we decide it was a carp (or baby croc  out of its territory) and not a murray cod that swiped your lure

Danny interested to see what you have . Any that you have made yourself

Regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by jaybonnie jaybonnie wrote:

John it would be interesting to see how many boxes of tackle you own as you just about own one of everything vintage ever made haha,lets see if he bites now Mad DogBig smile

I think screaming reel took the Mad Dog lure and now the reel is SCREAMING!Wink
Life is fishing!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:07pm
Hey John,

I just found these ones that I made ages ago. They were purely for Luderick from the rocks in different swells. Some hadn't quite been finished, as you can see a bunch with the white undercoat on the stems, plus some don't have varnish. I used to shape the cork with sand paper, then after glueing in the stems and fitting the weights etc I'd hand paint with water based artists acrylic and coat with varnish. They used to hold up reasonably well however I will certainly be making some more in the near future, this time with proper lure making equipment - sealer, air brushed auto acrylics, and a good tough clear coat.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:32am
They look fantastic.
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:54am
just stunning danny !!!!
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:33am
Great paint job Danny

No confusion where your bait is travelling, when you are fishing in a large pack.

Regards  John
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:53am
gotta love them, good stuff John and Danny !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:39pm
Thanks Deb, Bazz, John and Stephen. It used to be a fun way to spend an afternoon. Maybe it still is - might have to make a few more and see.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:18pm
Ocean ni&&er Fishing……the best fun I have ever had while wearing a storm jacket.
these were/are my tools of trade.
floats are made from aluminium welding rod with a piece of dowel glued on top.line was attached via rubber "o" rings,because we fished ocean, we only fished fixed floats.

And we needed some way to protect/carry them.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:33pm
Thanks Laurie I new there would be a few golden oldies about

I reckon there was too much effort in making them to just throw away.

Regards  John
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
Laurie ocean luderick fishing is great fun. All of those ones you saw above (although they have eyelets fitted to run the line through) were designed to be fished as a fixed float by squeezing plastic tubing on the top and bottom. The reason I fish fixed floats off the rocks is mainly for casting. The centrepin I've found casts better when the float is in a fixed position on the line. The tiny stoppers that are used to adjust the depth on a running float I think can be a little light for the weight of the bigger floats in the swell. The reason I still make line guides on the sea floats is for extra security to keep the float attached should the fixed tubing become loose and slip off.

Dad used to carry all of our floats in a big PVC tube as well. Not only was it for storage and to protect them, but it was also a safety device. If anyone should be washed in, he had a thick cord wrapped neatly up and down the tubing which could be unwound quickly and the big sealed PVC tube then thrown into the water with the angler on the rocks holding the other end.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:53pm
Remind me later when i get back from Melbourne Danny and I will get pics of my floats some if which I used all around Coffs For Luderick.Garfish.Drummer.etc
The Journey is the Reward

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:05pm
I like the idea of the rope, Danny.
I only ever fished fixed floats, because with all the surge it is the only way that you could be sure that your bait was hanging at the depth you set.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:19pm
Definitely another reason Laurie - forgot to mention that one. Especially when your float is being taken away from you quite quickly. Hard to keep the stopper against the eyelet and keep in the slack at the same time. The swell itself like you said will get hold of the slack and pull the line up through to the leader swivel or first split shot. Not easy. Fixed floats are the go off ocean rocks.

I like the use of the aluminium rods on your floats. Great idea.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:24pm
Barry that would be great. Thankyou very much.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:55pm
The aluminium stems give casting weight…..and they don't break….(just bend a bit sometimes)LOL
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
Clever. If you don't mind I'd like to try using it one day on some new floats if I make some. I recall seeing it on much lighter modern freshwater floats, but nowhere near as thick or for heavier sea floats. I reckon that's a winner for sure.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
Have a Float magazine from U K aged (only 75 P)  66 pages

I have included s a picture of someones float kit and index on contents.

Never come across another one

Not sure how long I have had it

Regards John

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 2:57pm
Nice one John.

Would love that centrepin. Can't quite work out what's going on with the nets in the photo. Looks like the angler has the tunnel section of a fyke net right next to him. Anyone know what he may have been doing?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 4:36pm
The net in the pic is a "keeper" net to hold fish till days end……
in competitions they weigh/measure all at end of comp, could also be to stop released fish from upsetting other fish.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:33pm
A further supply of aged floats , longest one is 570 cm , some stems are well above the cork float.(for distance viewing i presume.) 

I  assume the colours being dark  are for saltwater, white water luderick/drummer fishing

Never fished for drummer 

Note interesting dark paint colours on stem

A number are already pre - rigged with additional small ball sinkers wrapped around the base of the stem floats.

Note interesting float container.

Regards John

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 1:11pm
Heres a few from the vault, some in need of repair
I remember my old mans favourite float had "blind Freddy" signed on the top of it, it is now broken and in a drawer somewhere. Still have his old "sportex" Luderick rod and a few of his centrepin reels. Gold I reckon
Cheers Steve R.

PS Those trippy fluoro coloured floats of yours are something special Danny, keep up the good work mate !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 1:39pm

"Blind Freddy" with the stem broken off at the bottom unfortunately,another job for another day
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:39pm
John and Steve there's some great old examples in that lot. Thanks for showing them.

Steve I'd be really keen to see your dad's centrepins next time you have them out. I'll grab my few and post them up here. They'd be from around 1998 I think. Purchased from Pratt's Tackle Box when I was at school and saving my pennies each week. Now why didn't I buy the dozens of twisted wire Deceptions gracing the shelves?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:33am
Ok Danny here are the three I can put my hands on at the moment:
The "Trudex" by JW Young and sons(http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/trudex.htm)
The old Steelite;
and the Alvey 455B.
Also have a Condex or two, A pridex and a beaudex(I think) and also a Milwards "flymaster" but they were more flyreels mate. The old favourite that died was an avon royal.
Cheers Steve R.
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:07pm
I moved on an Avon Royal only recently, it was in excellent condition.

Some interesting shapes and all seem to be on fine stems
Regards John
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:17pm
Awesome reels there Steve, great little collection. I've heard a lot about the older Avon reels but never fished one. I heard a story (could be completely untrue so don't quote me on this) that Shakespeare bought the mold from Avon and that is where the Shakespeare Eagle model (the ones that I have) came from. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:20pm
Sounds good Danny, i'm sure the old man and his mates would have had the mail
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic