LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kara Lure Grey Feather spinners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kara Lure Grey Feather spinners
    Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:24pm
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:29pm
These are made out of celluloid and a single feather.They are a Kara lure from the northwest Coast of Tassie made by Col Bryan (alas died a couple of weeks ago).These are FANTASTIC for use when the whitebait runs start and the big searunners come in.A very sought after lure on the coast.He also made the popular Kara spoons.If I can find them I'll pu some pics up of them as well.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:37pm
Thanks for the info as I have some of these in the cobra style lures in the same design with these feathers
Ill drop a few in you can tell me who made them
I've also got some old glow in the dark ones did he make any like that as well ? As they were all in the same purchase in new condition and I've been told they are a good lure that's all I know
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:57pm
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:57pm
Some Kara spoons
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:59pm
Sting Lures also made some grey feathers Rick,not as good as the Kara spinners though for use.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 6:44pm
Someone must have copied his idea I am sure I have seen them in the Tassie Devil/ Cobra style as well

I am sure I have a couple as well
Some of them would be quite old.
Interesting to see the Kara wobblers
 thanks

regards John
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 11:22pm
Thanks for showing his Lures Chris
My condolences go out to the friends and family of Col Bryan that you speak of
I hope this can now help to identify some of his lures and he can go in the Tas maker section here on the forum

Chris did he only make them in the feathers or other colours as well ?
I have a few here a similar shape it may help identify them

Any info on his lures would be helpful when you have time

Regards Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 7:13am
Nice to see these old lures. I am always interested in seeing Trout lures from other makers/countries

Got to think about these spinners, do thy twist the line.
The Spoons are thy made of pre made sheet, ore did he make the pattern in them.
Are thy made off Stainless steel ore ???
Thanks fore showing
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:28pm
Would this happen to be one of his. I know it is quite old.

regards John

justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 7:14am
It looks like 1 of his John,he did make Cobra style lures as well.

To answer your question PJ on the line twisting  yes it does,you have to use an antikink keel about 18" in front of the lure to stop the twisting.Alternatively he did make ones with lefthand and righthand wings.You use to spin 1 for 15 or 20 casts and then swap them over.This would take the twist out.  regards Chris.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 7:26am
Thanks Chris
Picture was taken whilst overcast and raining, will try and improve it for a better look, with a ruler as well.

regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 7:57am

Chris.

The Spoons/spinners is very interesting fore me, as i think i have one very similar to these. I got it about 38 years ago from an elder man, one off the first times i was trying to catch a Sea-Trout from land in in a Danish Fjord. He hand made them from some hard lead off a kind. Caught some good Trouts then, and thought i had lost all. but some 20 years ago i found one cleaning up, and made a Silicone mold off it. Will find one tomorrow and take a couple off Pict. to compare

Thanks Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic