LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 3:02pm
Hi Everyone. Haven't posted for ages but watching and learning as always. Not sure if product reviews/opinions are welcome so Mr. Administrator please edit or delete as you see fit.
I purchased a can of KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat  (1 part no mixing) as I saw it on the web and it was new to me. Rushed home and went to work on some painted timber surface lures. Words of warning!!!! Read all the directions on the can twice. Especially ambient Temp Range, don't get any product in the Can Lid Groove and if applying by brush thin product as directed. My first attempt on a 39 degree day, straight product not thinned was a disaster. I've never seen so many bubbles. And when they say place plastic film under the lid use something stronger than cling wrap. Second attempt was a vast improvement. Cured product appears thin strong and clear & glossy. Fished one lure this morning for a few hours, fish, one miss and banged into a few logs. No scratches or scars and no hook rash. Its worth a try if your sick of mixing 2 pack. Wacko one

Gaz
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 9:35pm
Gaz --this type of finish (moisture cure) is certainly tough stuff, maybe the toughest--
BUT don't be surprised if what is in the can is semi cured next time you open it--from the 2 or 3 brands I have used over the years (have not used Diamond Kote yet) we need to find a way of stopping the moisture from entering the can, @ $50 a can it gets expensive to coat just a few lures with a 500 mil can.
I have some set ''pucks'' of it here which I broke out of jars about 5 years ago and its still flexable, hit it with a hammer and it just bounces,, certainly has looked like the ideal lure coating but as I am saying we need some way of decanting it without contaminating the rest of the can with moisture.
Hang in there and keep us informed on how you are faring with it.
AND thanks for posting  Thumbs Up.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:14am
I bought a 500 ml can to see how it worked out. Not happy with the results at all.
Put 3 coats on a lure and no matter how hard I tried I could not keep the bubbles out.......it does not like humidity, even low levels.
I tried several delivery methods......brushing, spraying and dipping. I didn't thin it.

The Diamond Finish has been relegated to being used as a hardener and even then it's a lot of hard work to sand the bubbles out.
One good thing about it is that it dries "as hard as the devils forehead". Very, very scratch resistant.

It also didn't seem to come up a glossy and lustrous as Etex. 

I'll give it another crack in the Dry Season when humidity is non-existent.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:19am
this stuff is really hard to get a hold of here. I have found one auto place over in alberta. I have read a lot of stuff on it. some absolutely love it, some say it's too much work. it won't last long once exposed to air. some guys will spray a gas into the can as they are putting the lid back on, and apparently that works. one of the best methods it seems, is to never open the lid, but tap into the bottom of the can, drip out what you need, then sheet-metal screw with a washer seals it. it lasts longest that way. but, that would only really work for brushing mostly, and if it's a one-part, I would be buying it for dipping the lures. I guess if one is doing ALOT of lures, where you would use it up fairly quickly, it wouldn't be so bad. I can go a couple months with making no lures at all, and it seems this would just go to waste probably. others keep adding marbles into the can before putting the lid back on to get rid of the air in the can.
interesting that it still has mega-bubbles. I read that was a huge issue years ago, but they changed the formula and remedied it. maybe not it seems.
I read it can take a few days to cure. not sure if that's the case or not. I kinda like that with e-tex, they are ready the next day.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:20am
POR-15 has a similar product as this, and I can get it more locally. I will probably get some, just to try something new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic