LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krewfische

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:39pm
Decided to carve the thinner blanks and give them a bit of character. Wasn't intending on detailing these, glad I did because they really pop now. Had plans to make some deep divers as well, up in the air now. Funny how things come up each time I decide to make lures?

Thanks Brendan, happy to hear they caught your eye.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:49pm
Saw some of your lures at Chris’s palace, good work with great detail.

Not sure if I would use a broad sword on Daucks though. Being mainly of Scot stock with Prussian thrown in growing up in New Guinea, it could very likely be a fish spear pronged with stingray barbs.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:21pm
Looking good mate!
Loving the different sizes. Shallows and deeps Wink
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:07pm
Tin Ram- Duck season, not rabbit season, your lures are safe for the moment! If I see a duck around I'll holler. You never know with that one and his crazy obsession with lures. He's still checking the mail box for that Nicho cray.

Wicky- The little guys should be killer for salmonids and the big one's should hit that sweet spot you wanted. Won't know till I try em? Haven't gotten to making up deep divers yet. Need to make up a new template and do some testing before making a bunch. Not sure if that will happen if I go back to work in the next couple weeks? Could Always hit the lottery or inherit a fortune in the meantime, wouldn't that be nice?

Once again mea culpa for being behind on these. Should have been sealed, primed and ready for painting already. That's my fault for being lazy, doesn't help that my materials are in mail limbo to boot. Not blaming the parcel service, they are doing the best they can at the moment. Must be like Christmas season on steroids for those guys?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:21am
Back to work, what a bummer! Here's where these yabbies are at the moment. Got them all caught up, just need to add some depth to the side of the segments and carve the pincers. Those mahogany were brutes to carve and detail, literally rounded off the blade tips just scoring the lines. A bit different than the previous mahogany blanks, got hold of some high end stuff and it is tough as nails. Dunno if the price per square foot is worth it's weight in lures, worth a shot eh?

Chris- Remember my off the wall comment about a trial by wombats, well I was hobbling through the store and found a this. Laughed like a jackal when I came upon it.

Got plenty of pictures outlining the carving process if that is your thing? Personally I enjoy seeing all the in between and step by steps as Martin says " It gets me wet as a seal."

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:16pm
They look fantastic.
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
Looking good. The detail going into these is great. You have discovered in yourself a talent.

I know a lot of people say that "änyone can do it", but some of us has an imagination pointing in other areas and the lack of being able to judge distances, space, placement, alignment is one of my superpowers. The other superpower I have is loosing luresConfused
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm
I AM SO PLEASED to see a bottle opener on the bench and more intrigued to see a beer called WOMBAT, That ive never heard of before yet it appears 3000ks away from a real wombat in the wild.
Praytell..who makes this and location please, I will order some
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:01am
Thanks Maddog, I certainly try.

Tin Ram-little by little adding more depth to these I think you'll be pleased with these. You'll have to do another fishing trip and run these through the gauntlet. Spatial awareness and an eye for symmetry are either innate or a skill developed with time I think. People are capable of more than they give credit.

Nicho- Naturally, one must always have a potent potable or coffee at one's work bench. Dunno, I wouldn't mind trading a few lures for one of these creatures. Nothing says a wonderful pet like a sickly mutated Hampster with gnarly teeth, adorable. Who wouldn't want to wake up to that glaring back at you in the morn?

I would have purchased this based on the label alone, but that phrase "trial by wombat" was the closer. Here's the info, if there's a way to legally and safely ship let me know and I will get some out to you. Besides great aesthetics it's one of the best beers I've tried and I'm a microbrew snob.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:24pm
If it can be shipped, add one to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 1:40am
Will do Ducks. Been digging into it so far it's shady business to ship. The whole legality of it is a convoluted grey area?

Going to contact the brewer either today or next week and see what can be worked out. It would be in poor taste to represent Australia and not allow the denizens to purchase, that's just backwards. Also going to see if I can strike a deal with my local store/distributor and have them since they are licensed.

Hoping to come into some money and eventually do a tour of Australia, when that happens you can bet your tail feathers I will harass a few members on here in person. That be the case I'll be sure to bring a cornucopia of beers, and live stock...not sure how to declare a goat through customs? could pass him off as a distant relative?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:48am
A bit of sanding to remove the knife marks and these are ready for sealer. If anyone has suggestions on detail sanding/delicate areas please let me know, every bit of knowledge helps. Might pick up some sanding sticks, can't go wrong with manual tools.
Carved a bit more material away than usual to pronounce the definition of each segment. We shall see if this makes a difference or is overkill?
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:51pm
these look beeeyootiful mate!.fine detail sanding is a bugger wish i could advise you mate but i use folded fine sandpaper probably the same as you

that's no how ye make porridge!
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 6:29pm
Sandpaper cured nail board might help, Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:11am
Thanks Dave, been using that and the folded sandpaper. Just wish there was a smarter and more pragmatic approach?

Chris- think you sent me down the wrong path? I looked around for elbow grease in a can and couldn't find it, you said it was right next to the antiperspirants??? Hmmm, feels like the time Martin recommended I get blinker fluid for my car

Yeah guess I gotta continue using the old school method for not. The micro detail sander I just received works too fast and is a bit much for delicate areas. If there was a way to slow it down it would be perfect. In the end a couple coats of sealer usually smooth out any imperfections so long as they aren't too deep.

Nicho- Forgot to mention, that bottle opener is actually from Ireland of all places. Spoke with a few liquor stores, pack it well and hope you don't get caught was their answer. Not sound advice, I'll keep asking around, still need to contact the distributor and see if they ship direct.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:21am
Chris- think you sent me down the wrong path? I looked around for elbow grease in a can and couldn't find it, you said it was right next to the antiperspirants??? Hmmm, feels like the time Martin recommended I get blinker fluid for my car 

blinker fluid.......? That is SOOOOOO old school, we now use blinker gasTongueLOL

Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:13pm
hahaha, yeah well I am an analog/anachronistic creature if you haven't already guessed?

A posthumous joke from my late uncle Bob. He sent his own daughter into the local auto parts store to ask for breaker fluid, never seen someone so embarrassed. The last of the great b@ll busters he was, bit of that behavior might have rubbed off on me?

As for an update on sanding I purchased something called sanding sticks??? Figured I would give these a shot down the road. As for these lures, yes, I did it the tried and true method; folded paper and a XL can of elbow grease courtesy of Chris.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:49pm
a WEE bit behind schedule, were getting there. You can chew on this for a while till things get on track.  A few already received a bath in clear coat and need some fine sanding before a solid top coat can be applied. A bit more of epoxy will be dabbed on to solid up the pincers. I really prefer the flush and hidden wire look, albeit this breeds doubt with a big fish or sturdy stump one WILL encounter so a little extra is needed for me to sleep soundly.  Tin Ram (Martin) said "for every lure that fails he will use gimpy gimpy leaves as TP for a week." Thanks Martin, a huge boost of confidence....lord knows I don't have it, let us hope for your sake these all pass.Wacko 

Didn't mention that these will be a set, five lucky/strange bastards will be receiving these. What they do with them is beyond me, like when I complete this project? I had a number of lures included in this set, but it keeps changing....Sweet baby Gary Busy help me get on track again. For those of you counting out there....I am still searching for the carved Mahogony lure and still haven't found it. Don't ask.

Up in the air whether I add bibs before or after painting??? 
As for the nudes, well I cannot wait to see these clear coated as they all have strong character. Still kicking myself for sending out that spotted gem to Chris.....you still got that bugger, love to see it again as she was gorgeous!

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 6:07am
not sure if ive got it Charles,i will have a look mate,ive got a few in tackle boxes hopefully it wasnt the one i lost in Tasmania

that's no how ye make porridge!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:44am
Om nom nom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:20pm
It would be nice to see a pic of that ol' girl one last time, like a shimmering ruby. Think that ruddy knot torqued the bait to one side if memory serves me? Not the best swimmer of the bunch I sent you, but a fine looker. Losing a box full of lures, mate I would lose sleep over that. Chris you could always send Ducks out to find it, he's like a truffle sniffing pig for that kind of stuffLOL

Yes Ducky, there's some spotty buggers at the bottom. Get some piccys when they are finished and ready for a swim. Got to make up some bibs still.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 2:54pm
GYMPIE GYMPIE LEAVES AS DUNNY PAPER???????????.................

would rather take a swim with these box jellyfish .... ye olde chironex fleckeri

Martin-

wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:17pm
Looking good mate! Those big ones will be a show stopper! 

What's next? Cough swimbait cough LOL
Lucinda Collector!
All ways on the hunt for more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:21pm

A little ways to go yet for these, handful require some epoxy to secure the hardware. Thought about making some bibs today which only leaves a couple steps until the best part….FISHING!!! errr, I mean testing!

What should only have been a couple weeks of work has been dragged out into a several month chore. Totally on me becoming complacent and scatterbrained. What originally started as pondering and planning for the most pragmatic outcome has become excuses and worries? Best to double down and make progress regardless. I can always start over (rather not) should these not be up to snuff.

Stay tuned for more paint drying action!

P.S. Think you need some Lureacillin there Zach? Not to let the chinchilla out of the bag, but yes….there will be swimbaits in the future. 
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 1:56pm
these took a long time to get here, thanks again Charles (ARDENTANGLER) the detail is amazing . . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:31pm
Mick, a day late to arrive on your Bday, that would have been perfect. It was shaving years off my life knowing these might be lost to the postal machine, almost 2 bloody months! Glad they made it to say the least. 

Let us know how they workThumbs Up
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:24pm
well i have a cod in a 5 foot tank had him for 2years he would not know the difference between this hand made lure and a live one they are brilliant keep up the good work
brendan t
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:49pm
They are looking awesome - Mick your a lucky boy, how good are they?
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:28am
all going well, will be out at the dam next week. they will get a run then, yellowbelly written all over them. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:54pm
Mick - No pressure, just want to know what you think of these and how they fair....not like Martin's dunny paper is riding on it? 

Look forward to next weeks dam trial and some positive/negative feedback!
Cheers

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
OLLIE
Charles certainly does have a way with words!
I always reach for a copy of the Oxford dictionary prior to reading his posts!
I learn a new word/meaning every time.
I enjoy it.Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 6:44pm

Nicho-Thank you, but you underestimate your own stature as a verbose gentleman cleverly weaving words and phrases together into an august eiderdown. Haha, seriously I was riding your coattails on Fugles Viking post. Think poor Sinclair has yet to recover from PCSD (PostCommandeeringStressDisorder) from that, and last I heard Tin Ram had donned a tinfoil hat while tenderly gripping a sock puppet (lamb chop) on some destitute boat loaded up with bananas….word is he is catching loads of fish in betwixt skinny dipping with the ye olde Chironex Fleckeri. A strange, but brave soul.

An aerial photograph taken by Australian Coast Guard of the incident in question.LOL

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:32am
Haha
Well spotted.
I wondered where he ended up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
Somewhere on an island disconsolately having a discussion about goats and sheep with a beach ball. My best educated guess?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:27pm
Ahh spending time with Wilson!
Always good for the soul.
Hes got the life old Marty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic