Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Lapaz Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lapaz Tempta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lapaz Tempta
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:29pm
Here's a couple of Lapaz Tempta lures I have.

Craig might remember one! Wink

Unfortunately I know very little about these lures.

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:56pm
Imagine my excitement when Barry handed this box to me out of a bargain bin and asks "is this any good to you?" Clap

It's a signed Lapaz Tempta new in packet! (the ones above have the name and brand embossed not signed) OhYeah

Unfortunately there's no contact details of the maker on the box so I'm more keen than ever to learn more about them now!

And a few more pics. Note the painted eyes rather than embossed - didn't notice that untill I took the pictures just now!

Cheers, Tony

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 5:39am
NEVER  seen them before nice lures tony............Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileTongueTongueTongueTongue
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 9:34am
Thanks Bob,

That makes 3 different versions I have now, the two moulded ones I had first seem to have been made from slightly different moulds (the embossed name is in a different spot, and the eyes are different)

Cheers, Tony

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 10:16am
HOW old & where were they made???????????REGADS BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileShockedShocked
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

HOW old & where were they made???????????REGADS BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileShockedShocked

Both very good questions Bob, and ones I'd love to know the definitive answer to! ConfusedLOL

I think I know "Why" they were made, apparently Lapaz Tempta Lures were an awesome lure for Mangrove Jack, so we just need to know the "Who", "When", and "Where" Confused

The best I can suggest for now is based on what a few people have mentioned.

Probably made in Far North Queensland, and might have last been available in the early to mid nineties. The three I have appear to have been made at different times, although I have no idea in which order (I imagine the signed boxed one is earlier than the other two)

If anyone knows more about these lures, please help me out with my dilemna!CryBig smile

Big smile
Cheers, Tony

lizardlures View Drop Down

Lizard Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizardlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:07pm
Hi Tony,

I think i can shed some light on Lapaz Lures and thier origins. The guys name escapes me now but he was from the Gold Coast. I'm not sure if he made these out of timber but i do know that in 1995 he approached Peter Howard from "Howards Urethane Manufacturing" in Caloundra to mould the lures from poly urethane. Peter Howard also used to mould for a lot of lure manufactures including RMG, swagman, eddy's, Lawsy's, Jaysea, Oargee, Tidal and Lizard Lures to name a few. My connection with this is that i worked in the factory as a foreman as such and i also started and owned Lizard Lures. We made blank lures for some companies and the finished painted lures for others. From memory Lapaz lures only bought blanks from us and he painted them himself. I still can't think of his name but he was a really nice bloke and i think he passed away but i'm not 100% sure.

I hope this helps!

Kerry Smith
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:49pm
Hi Kerry and welcome to LureLovers Smile

Thank you for the info, they are very nice lures and it's great to add another piece to the puzzle Thumbs Up

I'd love to learn about your Lizard lures if you have some pics you could share with us Kerry.

Cheers, Tony

Lizard Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizardlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:11pm
Hi Tony,

Happy to help! I started Lizard lures when i was 18 just after i finished school in 1994. I had played around with carving timber lures for a while and i came up with one design which i thought looked alright and swam really good too. I met Peter Howard who was a partner with Alan Dolan from Lively Lures just after they had split up and Peter liked my lure and liked me so he hired me to run the production of the lures. I was put off after about 12 months as the business (peter's business) wasn't doing so well and i ended up selling Lizard Lures to a mate of mine Jackson Hopkins in 1996 before i went to the UK for an 18 month working holiday. While i was in the UK Lizard Lures was sold to Dennis Hawkins from Hawkeye Lures. A lot of people think he started Lizard lures but he didn't. I think he ended up winding the business up and just selling them through the Hawkeye brand. I only had the one lure that was a 75mm deep diving lure designed for flathead. The lure proved very popular with bass and yellowbelly as well as jacks,cod etc. The lure got down to about 12 feet. I started with only 6 colours and then added another 2 colours later on. I will post some photo's soon and would love the lizard to be recognised as a part of QLD's cottage luremakers history. Jackson did make a smaller lure too about 50mm but i don't think Dennis made it, i'm not sure? I only own about 8 of my own lures and would love to track down at least a colour set of my own lures! The first 100 or so did not have any writing underneath and then we re-did the mould and it had the name written for the remainder.

Thanks, Kerry
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 4:17am
Good stuff Kerry, I hope you can find them colours.
Tagged and released
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 6:20am
Great info Kerry and welcome to lurelovers.If you get a chance to post up some pics of your lures that would be great.There may be some members out the that have some and do not know it.
Certainly if I have one and it is a colour you do not have it will be on it's way to you.
The Journey is the Reward

Brolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:30am
Guys i just had a scratch around and came up with these three.There is a possibility i may find more if i ever get on top of sorting out the lures i got rather than keep adding more LOL 
FISHING JUSTS GETS IN THE WAY OF MY LURE COLLECTING
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:14am
Nice find Brolly
 regards John

Lizard Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizardlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 3:19pm
Nice one Brolly! We might be able to negotiate a swap or something??? I'll try and dig out some of my photo's of the colour range and post tonight! I'm rediscovering my love of lures! Might have to get the carving knife out again!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 4:34pm
Way to go Mike! Clap (is there any lure you don't have?) LOL

The Lizard lures look great Kerry, I hope you do break out the carving knife again Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 7:16pm
Another Lapaz I found this week.
Although the plastic packaging is becoming quite aged & brittle, the lure is mint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic