LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learn something new every time I fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn something new every time I fish
    Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:36am
Everyone who've read my posts know me as a tester of different soft plastic lure designs and colors. Just can't help myself ! The best test of any design usually includes variations and combinations of size, shape and color as well as where and how often fish strike - the more species and different waters the better. I love to catch fish on new lures - especially modifications - and constantly disprove the old ideas why fish strike them. 

Variety is the spice of fishing or I wouldn't fish. Testing lure design concepts provides the challenge and satisfaction of catching fish of different species that anyone can test for themselves. Different tail designs have proven fool proof fish catchers:
Here are the most recent:
Clear plastic lures catch fish - either all clear body or clear tails:
7.5 lb. catfish:
(note wacky rig with light jig head)

Spike tail:

Thin flat tail:

Grub bodies joined together after the curl tails were removed:

The Crappie Magnet double tail (sold in the US) catches all species:
(Note clear body the tail was attached to.)

senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:14am
What the above proves is:
1. different lure designs work in the same water on the same day
2. different colors also work regardless of water clarity
3. all lures shown catch different species and sizes of fish
4. light jig heads (1/32 - 1/16), unpainted, are more than adequate for small or huge fish
5. all lures worked better using a light action rod and 8 lb test braid line 
6. each lure design has a unique action that fish react to
7. each lure action-by-design shown catches fish equally

Wish I knew what this fish is that weighed over 3 pounds:

Here are a few more that have proven fish catchers:
claw design formed by taking the claw off a bass lure and attaching it to a grub body:

Beetle Spin and soft plastic designs:

Most important is the fact that anyone can make these lures and catch fish with them as long as patience is observed. I have fished with a friend for two years that finally though slowly has accepted the fact that a slow presentation always matters for any lure cast and especially for finesse-action lures. He is finally keeping up with me and together we catch 60 to over 100 fish and most of the time 4-5 fish species per outing. He's still has a superstition about selective colors and lure designs, but with time he'll come around - especially after seeing me catch many fish on different designs and colors.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:23am
Looks like it could be a grass carp
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:08pm
Think you're right. Thanks
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:31pm
Love the soft plastics on a beetle spin, have caught many different species on that set up - very versatile set up.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic