LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looping Pliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick McLure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looping Pliers
    Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:20am
Hi there. I am thinking about buying some pliers for making wire loops. Seems to be various arrangements from simple long nose round to multistage round and concave jaws($8 to $50). What types and makes might you recommend? I am using .9mm MIG stainless wire...I think.  Thankyou...Mick
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:31am
Hi Mick
Aircraft wire twisting pliers and stainless aircraft safety wire are available on line or from the light aircraft area at most airports. I found the mig wire hard to work and brittle. Have a Google and you'll see heaps.
Cheers Steve
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm
I tried them many years ago, weren't for me, a cup hook in a cordless drill is hard to beat 
Yatesdavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm
I have a set of twisting pliers, great for small gauge but I found even .9 mm was to heavy to twist so now I just loop the wire over, place the two ends in a vice and then I have a large nail I bent into a hook and placed in my drill then loop the nail through the loop in wire and pull the trigger, perfect loops every time
Dave
Mick McLure View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick McLure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 7:00am
Thanks for the advice on the wire, pliers and twisting methods. I'll have a go with a drill today and I'll track down some aircraft safety wire. Cheers. Mick
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
Mick

I've done fairly heavy stainless wire with safety pliers (1 or 1.2mm from memory) but it is hard going. I use a long narrow phillips screwdriver as the ring former so I can put my feet on it and pull with both hands. It also helps to pre twist it a little in the right direction. Means I can do them wasting time watching TV, but can't do too many before the hands start to hurt but I keep meaning to make up a handle cover for the 'puller' bit so I can get a better grip.

Shop around a bit, prices vary somewhat.

Steve
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:23pm
Make a simple gadget to form wire made from wooden dowel two nails and a hose clamp, if you find that the wire fails while twisting just form the loop first then twist them up, as Steve said, if you go the pliers way set it up as in the photo will save your hands. Just drill a hole into a cupboard knob and glue the very top section into it.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:30pm
Hi Peter
I like the knob idea, that's a winner the 2 size dowel story is good too.
Cheers Steve
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:34am
This is how I make my twisted wires (1.9 mm).....made a fitting for the battery screwdriver. Much easier on the hands than lockwire pliers....

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick McLure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:16pm
Gee thanks for taking the time to share this information - really appreciated. I have been practicing this exact same method i.e. the wire ends in the vice then a hook in the drill - really good results. Thanks again.....Mick
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:18am
Drill by far for me aswell .
I just stick the 2 ends in the drill then put over nail . I find that way quicker .
Fish dont buy lures
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:57am
If you have the mig wire and you may have a mig welder  pull out 8 to 10 feet tie it to the earth clamp turn the wire feed to a low as possible and cycle the mig trigger when the wire starts to smoke for most of the length increase the cycling of the trigger until red take your finger off the trigger and wiggle the wire this will because of the wire thickness quench it, and the wire will be annealed "softened" it will be a discolored a quick rub with scotchbrite will sort that out I know how much a roll of mig wire is and I am making a few assumptions on what's in your garage .  SS304 and 316 both can be annealed this way and copper
The cup hook from Big river is a good idea as it keeps the wire in the center of the drill chuck less wobble 
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick McLure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:31pm
Thanks for the information Doc. My son is the welder so I'll see what he can do. Again I am amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site - much appreciated. I can't wait until I might be able to help someone too!Smile
Hutcho1977 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 12:42pm
G'day Blinky
Do you mind me asking where you got the hook attachment to twist your wires? I have been using 25 mm cup hooks and just keep stripping the ends on them, need something a bit tougher.
Cheers
Hutcho
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Hutcho1977 Hutcho1977 wrote:

G'day Blinky
Do you mind me asking where you got the hook attachment to twist your wires? I have been using 25 mm cup hooks and just keep stripping the ends on them, need something a bit tougher.
Cheers
Hutcho

It's a bit of metal coat hanger mate.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Hutcho1977 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm
haha, Ok no worries , nothing to hi tech then,whats the bit it sits in, Looks like a little mini drill chuck?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic