LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LORD HOWE island

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LORD HOWE island
    Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 2:49pm
ANY one got the guts on fishing lord howe all i know is the yellow tail KINGIES are huge any info etc would be goodTongueTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 3:15pm
An old school mate of mines old man was running a charter off of the island.
http://www.fishinglordhoweisland.com.au/
Everything from shallow reef "doubleheader" trips to billfish.

I think it would be difficult to do much on your own, unless you know someone living there I think it would be hard to get hold of a boat to drive yourself so charters might be the go.
It looks like a little spot in paradise, it is right up there on my bucket list.  Somewhere you could take the mrs/family too, if you were that way inclined...
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 4:15pm
There's a couple of charter options, and like anything on LHI they're expensive.

However, a charter out to Balls Pyramid is worth every damn cent in my opinion. Not only is it a good place to fish, but it's a stunning stunning piece of real estate. If you're going to hook up with a charter operator at LHI, it's Balls Pyramid or nothing I reckon.

A friend of my partner went to LHI a few years ago and took some LBG gear and walked in to some land based spots. Did catch some big fish, but did go to some effort to do it.

I'd do a charter again without hesitation. I'd probably try to line it up with wahoo season, and I'd be booking at the same time as I'm booking my accommodation.

The big challenge for the charter operators at LHI is the wind. It does blow out there and every second trip can get cancelled, or they mightn't go out for days on end. Just gotta get lucky, or not get unlucky.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 4:24pm
SOUNDs the go out there in summer timeClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 4:34pm
There's a trick to packing for the trip too Bob.

Return visitors pack very little in the way of clothes etc, and save luggage weight/allowance for food. Make a small esky part of your luggage allowance (which is minimal), and pack it with frozen meat (so you don't need ice) and cheese as everything on OHI is as dear as poison.

You probably won't bring fish back with you, or you won't bring much. The charter operators keep fish to supply the restaurants and locals, and the lucky angler gets a share. That's how it worked on my trip out, but they weren't bastards about it. I had a chunk of Yellow Fin and a chunk of Kingfish that fed my family of three a few times on the BBQ.

From memory they said summer was best for the wahoo, with March the best balance between target species and weather.

Great place, just save up plenty of money to do it.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 5:11pm
DID yas get into the double header pig looking things they go hard ive heardTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 8:00pm
cant remember who, but i hired a tinny while i was there and fished the lagoon, got bluefish, double headers,oafers (huge silver trevs) and spangled emporers. fantastic place, i stayed at the milky way, very easy going, top place loved it, want to go back some day....also fished the rocks  LBG for kings.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

DID yas get into the double header pig looking things they go hard ive heardTongueTongueTongueregards bob

Nope. Focused entirely on big kings, yellow fin, and marlin/wahoo that never turned up. Got BIG kings too.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 6:06pm
BIG kingies thats the planWinkClapClapClapClapregardsbob
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 9:58pm
I went there with 5 mates in late march 2011- had a ball on big kings, wahoo, blue marlin, yellow fin, massive sliver trevs and deep water oglies. Fished on Double Trigger for 4 days. Could not recommend them more.
March is off peak season, flights, accom for 7 days and 4 days fishing came in under $2600.
Hand feeding 25kg kings at Neds beach is worth the trip itself, make sure you pack a land based outfit and a light rod - catch big gars from the main wharf in the morning then use them or bait on the boat or off the rocks.
The place is awesome
Just do it!
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:47pm
Take the Mrs and family ???ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedThumbs DownErmm
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 11:29pm
BOB, take me with ya! Thumbs Up
Some poor bugga is gunna hafta swim after ya arms when they get 'RIPPED FROM THEIR BLOODY SOCKETS'!!! Shocked
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic