LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure cutting, polishing and waxing tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edandkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure cutting, polishing and waxing tutorial
    Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:23am
I couldn't find any threads covering this topic yet so hopefully this information will be of some use to a few of you. This is the first tutorial I've ever done so please be gentle. This by no means claims to be the only way to polish a lure but it is a tried and proven method for me. 

I used to do quite a bit of car detailing years ago and figured the knowledge I acquired through doing that could be transferred over to maintaining some of my lures. I will quickly share a procedure that I follow which really brings a new lease of life to some my sadder looking lures. This procedure works best if the lures paint is in reasonably decent condition to start with.

First things first is a list of the things I use. For me I can justify splurging a bit as I still polish family members and mates cars occasionally as well as my own. The polishes I bought as a 3 pack kit for $50 and the wax cost around $30 (the small pot in the photo below will wax 3-4 cars believe it or not). The foam pads were $7 for a 5 pack. All these products I purchased online from carcareproducts.com.au

a) Menzerna FG500 cutting compound
b) Menzerna PF2500 intermediate compound
c) Menzerna SF4000 superfine compound
d) Dodo Juice Purple Haze car wax
e) 4 x Foam pads (1 for each step of the process)
f) 1 x Terry cloth

STEP 1 : I remove any hooks and split rings from lures prior to polishing them as it is a much easier task without them. You'll need to give the lure a decent clean under some running water to remove any dirt/muck/gunk and dry it off with the Terry cloth. Below is this timber AC Invader as it arrived from Ebay. It's in okay condition but it does have some blemishes and dull patches. All I've done to it at this point is washed and dried it.

STEP 2 : Apply about half a pea of the cutting compound to the first foam pad and firmly rub over the lure as if you were cleaning it again. You don't need to rub too hard, just enough to feel the polish "working". Avoid getting any polish on the lures' bib if it is clear polycarbonate as it may stain. If the bib is painted then it can be polished. Once you've gone over the lure allow a few minutes for the compound to dry/haze. Use the other side of the foam pad to wipe off all of the hazed compound.

STEP 3 : Same as step 2 but move up to the intermediate compound and the second foam pad. Allow a few minutes for the polish to haze and then wipe it off.

STEP 4 : Same as step 2 and 3 but use the superfine compound and the third foam pad. Again, allow to haze and wipe off.

STEP 5 : Now to the waxing stage and this is what really makes a lure "POP". Using a small amount of wax on the last foam pad firmly rub over the lure and wait a few minutes for it dry. Similar to the polishing stages, use the back of the foam pad to then wipe the dried wax off. All done!

The wax will help protect the lure as well as add depth and shine. It also feels super smooth and slick to touch after it's been waxed. This particular wax also has an amazing bubblegum smell to it...which is nice.

All up this procedure takes me roughly 15-20 minutes per lure but that's allowing for the drying times of each of the different stages.

Below are the photos of the lure all finished. It's not perfect as there are still some dull-ish areas but there is only so much a polish can do for a lure that's been banged around on the bottom of a river. For me, it's still a process worth doing though. I would be interested in any feedback good or bad and I'm happy to answer anybody's questions. Cheers Ed

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:18am
Thanks very interesting

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
that came up better than new,ive cut back lures before using just cutting compound but your system is way better, many thanks for that
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:43pm
Thanks for that Ed - only trouble is, people will know that I can now polish their carsLOL. But that lure has come up a treatThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
edandkell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edandkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 2:24pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel as though the photos don't do the lure justice so I've attached a few more. Cheers Ed

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 5:11pm
OOOOOHHHHH! Shiny pretty thingsLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 10:52pm
Works a treat. I've just stripped an old one I have and revamped it. polished with cabinet makers wax, its a nude now.
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
edandkell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edandkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 2:43am
Would love to see a photo of that lure NQ FISH. I also have a few oldies where the paint is beyond saving so I was considering doing the same thing and turning them into nudes. Also just quickly for anyone that's interested a mate gave me this CC Hammerhead tonight to polish for him and within 20 minutes this is the result. I took a punt and tried to polish the bib using the same polishes and technique. It removed the brown staining but couldn't cut deep enough to remove all the scratches. Just food for thought as it's the first time I've tried to polish polycarbonate and to be honest I thought it would permanently stain but it doesn't. Hope some of you find this helpful.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 8:13am
I posted some pictures up last night. A & B REVAMP, it's under "what in the blazes is this lure"
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:01am
I have used toothpaste for cleaning up bibs good for rust and grime but not so successful on scratches.
There is a commercial product for fixing car headlights that might work but not cheap.
Cheers Graeme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic