LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure eyes 2D and 3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure eyes 2D and 3D
    Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 4:50pm
As promised,  "how to" on lures eyes, as a few members have requested. My first 'how to' so I hope it all makes sense.
First pic, paints I use for eyes and painting lure bodies, Schmincke(water based) Createx(water based) and Auto base colours(fast drying) Airbrush I use is Iwata HP - BH double action.
The first few pics are the Squid eyes I have used for the recent nude carving.(I'm using a Pindari for the exercise)
I use drill bits for the eyes as they do come in varies sizes and are very precise. It is important to have the paint at a consistancy to give you a perfect circle, depending on the type of paint you use(might have to experiment on a piece of paper).Drill bits I'm using is 7mm(pearl white) outer and 3.5mm(marine blue) inner.

Then airbrush a little marine blue on top of the eye and yellow on the bottom.
Finish with a marine blue 3.5mm centre circle.
Ready for clear coat.

Next I'm making some 3D eyes from vinyl stickers, you might know a local signwriter who has offcuts of vinyl stickers etc, these can be cut by hand or get the signwriter to pre cut them for you. It's always good to use two very contrasting colours like black and yellow(most contrasting colour )
The colours I'm using for these eyes is silver background with yellow and black foreground.

Airbrushing a shadow on top of eyes(marine blue)
placing the black pupil on top of the yellow.

Now placing the pupil on top of the silver.
to  get the 3 dimensional effect I use Erskine epoxy which is used for rod binding. For the 30 eyes (8mm diameter) I mix up 2ml of each part A and B, total of 4ml. Then place a small amount on each eye, you'll work out very quickly how much to place on each eye, as to much will run over the edge.You want to keep it inside the vinyl sticker.

Wait for it to set(normally 24hrs) and they're ready to use, you can place them straight onto the lures or for extra grip countersink the eyes.
Never had any problems spraying 2 pac acrylic clear over the top.
Below are some more examples of eyes I use for lures, frog(4mm), lizard(6mm) and more cuttlefish eyes(6mm).
I always encourage others to make up your own design of eyes, lures and paint as it's all part of the creative process of lure making, which in return makes each lure very unique.
Hope it all makes sense.
Ollie

codzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:28pm
Bloody awesome ollie :)
Real pain !!!

Always has a pair of trebles

Attached .......
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:34pm
now that is brilliant mate .....awesome ........cheers aaron
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:38pm
very cool
hunting and fishing the new england
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:53pm
Thats the shit man BOMB DIGGERDY.Its truely amazing people showing others who they do different things on there lure.Well done wicked tutorial ClapClap

Cheerz Errol
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 6:18pm
You're a legend Ollie

MXB
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 6:32pm
Absolutly brilliant
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
Master class mate 6666666666 
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
thanks ollie great read mate.....good to see...thanks
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by seagull seagull wrote:

Thats the shit man BOMB DIGGERDY.Its truely amazing people showing others who they do different things on there lure.Well done wicked tutorial ClapClap

Cheerz Errol

Yep, what he said. (I think) Thumbs Up
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:17pm
Top job Ollie always interesting on how other people do there eyes Thumbs Up.

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:41pm
Absolutely Master Class....like Rava said!
cheers steiny
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 8:30pm
+1.

will be giving a go in the future for sure.
JOKER View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Shane Love Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
AWESOME MATE LOVE YOUR STYLE ITS A CREDIT TO YOU THANKS FOR THE READ.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:58pm
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Massive  Regards Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:21am
Thanks for going to the trouble and sharing this info Ollie, great stuff, regards Chris
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 6:02am
Great stuff Ollie...thanks for showing us ...Cool

Mick!!!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 8:44am
Great tutorial Ollie, and great results .
Thanks for the time spent here, I appreciate how much stuffing around there is in one of these.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 10:19am
Totally awesome, the sequence of photos show them taking life. Great work and a true masterclass.
David
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 10:47am
Sensational, Ollie ClapClapClap

Now we can look forward to seeing some of the LL's members lures with 3D eyes. Big smile

Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Cheers

Travers
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 10:59am
Thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

@ Pete, your not wrong as far taking time, it's easy to forget taking photos as you go. But hope it's all worth it and someone gets inspired

Cheers
Ollie
Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 11:13am
MERLIN
HANDCARVED and HANDMADE TIMBER LURES
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 8:07pm
Had the extremely good fortune to add a few of Ollies' lures to my tacklebox .... the workmanship is amazing and I couldn't help but notice the eye's Clap

Asked Ollie for more info on them and he kindly directed me to this thread .... wow, it doesn't get better than this Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Padgey Padgey wrote:

MERLIN
second that!66
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic