LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure Finally Completed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure Finally Completed
    Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:52pm
Well now that all the Patent processes have been completed, I can finally post some images of my lure design.

As you can see by images of the earlier prototypes ( yes crappy paint work but these were prototypes after all, so I wasn't really fussed about paint. ), the original concept / thought was how to achieve greater lure depth of an existing lure whilst maintaining the profile silhouette, and to increase vibration whilst lessening the drag of larger models. So basically wanted to get a smaller lure deeper than its larger counterparts whilst creating some mega vibrations. This was achieved by allowing water to pass through the center of the lure body which not only reduced the resistance of the lure, but also due to the specific angles of the square flow throw cavities, as water passes through the body, it actually puts lift pressure on the end of the lure which in turn helps to assist the lure bib in maintaining increased depth capabilities.

To be honest the increased vibrations was an accidental bonus as I just wanted a small lure to crash dive really quickly and to remove some of the drag created when trolling larger lures of greater then 150mm.

Anyway enough dribble so just going to post pics and get back to pouring molds to fill orders, quite interested to see what others think of my design.

Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:29pm
ClapWell done, very different. I have seen holes in lures from on the profile one side to the other but not the the direction you have taken them Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 5:31pm
Thanks Martin,

Yes I have seen holes through the side before, however I was specifically aiming to achieve greater depth.

One of these days I will get a hobby that doesn't require so much damn thinking
Chep Buxley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 5:35pm
Clap
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 5:44pm
Thanks Chep,

This design is simple compared to my nemesis surface lure, its a real headache but nearing completion also.

Forever creating new ways to confuse myself
stickleback View Drop Down
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 6:42pm
WOW!  Brilliant concept - can only imagine how many hours of sleep were lost getting your head around
 the physics & design work of that project! Must've been think & rethink to the max!

So nice to see something different well done!

How long before we see a youtube vid of the swimming action?

Grooveyguru1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grooveyguru1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 6:45pm
Nice, so how deep does it go?
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 6:51pm
Thanks guys,
The smallest version (60mm) gets to 5 metres easy enough at dead slow ( ran out of river depth ). Still testing larger versions to determine maximum depth.

Will try and get youtube footage posted next weekend weather permitting.

Have 3 different versions that all give different characteristics, square, diamond and cylindrical cavities.

Thanks again for replying to post.

Steve
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
Well done Steve and well worth the wait - Paint's not too shabby either.
Thumbs Up.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
raynalures@yahoo.com.au
codyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 9:20pm
Great idea mate, they look cool
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 9:42pm
Positive replies much appreciated, my daughter has been into drawing and artist related stuff for the last few years and today ENLIGHTENED me as to acceptable colours, complete with a sermon on colour wheel usage - Pretty much Dad got told, then dragged into the paint shop to spend a few hundred dollars on various paints that apparently go together - What would I know apparently.

Will post some hopefully better painted versions once they are available.

Note to all parents, asking for your teenage child's input is fraught with danger.
edgecrusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:57am
Brilliant thinking outside the box!
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 11:21am
Great looking lures.  Look forward to the youtube of working.   Thank you
goldtrev
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 3:24pm
Well done..would be hard to make from timber. Kids these days always like to tell their parents what for. Tell her it's not about what colours go together it about contrast for the fishermen.    
whipit
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:58pm
I suspect the angle on the holes also act as diving planes as well. Would be interesting in seeing if a front weighted lure of yours to get the head down would dive as well - I suspect only shallow though.

Yes very well doneClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 6:41pm
Hi Martin,

Your correct in that the cavities create additional planes and act as secondary bibs, this helps my lures dive quicker and the reverse or top of the plane gets pushed up creating lift to help keep the bib down thus continuing to dive.

Took a bit of playing around to achieve the right combination of bib angle verses cavity angles, but who said life was supposed to be easy eh.

The hardest bit for me now is going to be learning how to airbrush better than the local childcare centre students.

So far road kill represents more consistency than my artwork
phatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:34pm
Pictures have vanished. Keen to see them, sounds interesting. 
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:35pm
is there any way of viewing these pictures now?......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
Hi All,

Apologies for the delay between updates on this post.

Did a rehash of the design just to increase strength, haven't broken one yet but cant help tinkering.

The actual process to make them is more time consuming than any timber lure I have ever made, but that was kinda anticipated due to its design.

I have about 30 bodies awaiting painting at the moment if the rain ever goes away and then shall post some new images, and have moved to screw in / glued bibs for now until I can come up with a better process.

Shall post 2 in the auction section when done, which shall be the first two ever released for sale - along with an original prototype - all signed and dated in case anyone is interested.

Its been a long process and I must mention that if it wasn't for the assistance of Matt Fraser from Barrambah Lures over numerous phone calls, I would probably still be going around in circles.

My next dilemma will be how to good a good enough finish when air brushing :

1. How many coats of primer do most people use.

2. How many base coats and does everone base coat in white first to help bring out colours.

3. Ok I hear all about " Two Pack " paint - what the hell is that as I have only ever used decanted auto paint from spray cans care of supercheap auto.

Great at designing new concepts and making functional prototypes that catch fish - But should have stuck with finger painting as I reckon I got better results in kindergarded than I do now.

Any help in the air brushing questions would be greatly appreciated - cause I suck at it.

Will post a video of the lure action in the next few days as currently grounded due to pneumonia, it will have to be filmed in murky water as river here is like mud, but you should get a good indication as shall use a white half primed test version.

PS : Last testing section the 75mm model with a smallish bib gets to 7 metres no drama, as that was the deepest stretch of water we were fishing at the time.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Steve
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
can you repost the pictures or put new ones up?.......mick
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
Hi Mick,

Will Have new ones to post by Friday night hopefully.

Wife seems to have an issue with me spray painting whilst have pneumonia, damn women just make no sense at times.

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
tell her the fumes will clear your chestNuke......mick
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 6:45pm
Hi Mick,

searching through old images at the moment, if you hang around for 5 mins I will try to send one through.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic