LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lures in depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lures in depth
    Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:12am
Published 1995  by Frank Prokop and Bill Classonn tested 660 lures and the depth that they could reach under certain fishing conditions and at what speed range KPH used. Also suggested optimum trolling speed for lures .  Has excellent colour photo's used during the test which provides what was available at the time.
 The book covers the following :
Lure description
 size [cm]
Weight [Gr]
Manufacturer
and Casting Tables  which covered action,
Depth after 2m,
depth after 5m
 depth after 10 m,
depth after 17m
depth after20 m plus depth with pause
buoyancy of lure
optimum retrieve speed
castability
wind resistence troll test depth
action of lure

an exceptionally large amount of effort was put into the release of this publication.

Regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 6:54pm
John, one of my bibles along with the 1991 Red Lures and How to use them & 2004 Lure Encyclopedia from same authors. Frank is a member here and drops in every now and then.

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:21pm
Darbs
 You have got me not sure what the 1991 Red lures is. Would you happen to have a photo.

regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:24pm
Darbs
 Also came across this one this afternoon

Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:19pm
John, the red one often overlooked as a lure bible, it was published as a special edition of FWF and the interest in it spawned the white book 3 years later and Frank updated the lot with the 2004 book, but this doesn't have many of the lures that disappeared in the interim. Frank also published a US version of the blue book which didn't have any of the Aussie only market lures and hence only a fraction of the number of lures.

these are my ready reference books, and there are masses of old magazines and a full set of FWF which are handy for some of the more obscure lures that have been and gone.

darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:51pm
THE RED book is REASON  i make lures & started to make them & still make em >>>>>THANKS  FRANK  regards BOBClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 8:23am
Darbs '
Thanks I have not seen that 1991 issue will keep a look out for it. Appreciate the photo
Regards John
Jigmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jigmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 10:39pm
Ahhh Bob you big old softie.  Just saw the rushes for the Stairway to heaven lure and your green hooks look very nice.

The red book was predated by two articles in Fishing World in 1985 and 1988 co-authored with Rod Harrison where the deepest dozen made the first appearance.

The American version of Lures Encyclopaedia has a few Aussie lures that were sold in the states like Halco, Tassie evils and Predatek. Measurements are in feet, inches and ounces and has about half the number of lures.  It is still sold regularly on eBay.

The red book is rarely sold and goes for as low as $15 to $150 depending on who wants it.  There are few around as they tended to get filed with ordinary fishing magazines and so deteriorated or were sold as such by second hand book stores when they did come up.

Thanks for the kind words.
Life is like a box of chocolates - so why do I keep losing fillings on the hard centres??
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:02pm
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone could help me with the value of these books?
I had the "red one" hot off the presses (aged 9) and unfortunately it was sold it at a garage sale with a pile of other fishing magazines I'd accumulated at the time.

Just wondering what a decent price on the 1995 and/or 2001 books would be?

As much as I don't 'collect' lures, I love books.  Especially books that can live on my coffee table to be flicked through regularly.
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:05pm
The 91 red sold on evil bay last week at 90 odd dollars as for lures in depth there's a few on there at round 25 dollars don't know about the last one , cheers
hunting and fishing the new england
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:31am
Some have been going for between $25-00  to $50. depending on who is looking at the time.
froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:42am
Im chasing the Red and White Lures in depth magazines , if you can help please pm me with a price, cheers nigel
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 9:58am
BETHUNE ON BASS is a great read awsome stuff around the same time frame as the leyland brothers Big smileBig smileBig smileWinkregards bob
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:13pm
i see crazy has the blue one on evilbay starting at $119.00 .....i was going to give mine away but if he gets that i better keep it .....cheers aaron
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:31pm
I got one for $7.95 a few weeks back...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic