LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Displaying your Lure collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lures/lure packaging and UV light?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lures/lure packaging and UV light?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:07pm
Hi all,

I've always wanted to do a bit of a display with some of my lures. I want to make, or have built, a coffee table sort of deal with a glass top, with the display under the glass top. I thought about fitting a couple of small flouro tubes or LED lights inside to light it all up. I'm just wondering what sort of effect the light would have on the lures and packaging and how rapidly? I guess the packaging would fade over time, but not sure how long this would take. Wouldn't like to destroy a bunch of packages just to have the lures on show.

Cheers,
Dave.
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
lol, if you seen how I store my Killalures in the packet you wouldn't be worried about lights.
But it sounds like a good idea.
Tagged and released
davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:19pm
Cool. I've been wanting to do this for the last 8 years, when I bought my first packaged Killalure. I guess I'll get around to it eventually LOL

Cheers,
Dave.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:19pm
Good question Dave.

My guess is that it could have an effect over a period of time, although I doubt occaisional use (and especially with LED's) would be a problem.

Maybe fit the LED lights and just turn them on when you want to admire them properly? (I think that's what I would do)

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 6:25pm
Yeah Tony, I wouldn't leave them on all the time, maybe have them on a timer so that when you hit the switch the light stays on for half an hour or an hour. I know some flouros can fade stuff badly, but I reckon some LEDs would be a better option.

Dave.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 7:50pm
Hi Dave , As long as you don't use U.V. type fluoro lights it shouldn't be a problem but I think the Idea with the led's is the go. Because they only omit a small amount of light they Won't affect your Packageing at all and you should be able to use them a lot longer than the fluero onesWinkWinkWinkWinkWink Regards Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 12:06pm
Dave,

I bought some LED lights from Bunnings. there are a couple of sets to choose from.

They have a Power pak and like a little USB divider and gives you the choice to either have one long LED strip or break them up into Three different runs of LED's approx 300mm long or all together 900mm long.

Have i totaly confused you I will post a pic later today for you to see.

I am looking at doing as you speak for the Coffe TAble or to light up my big main display Cabinet.

Cheers Tony

P.S.  they cost about $50 and you can buy add on LED strips to make the chain of Leds longer.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:25pm
what do they use in art galleries to illuminate paintings?,could be worth looking into.
L.E.D's are probably the go Dave they seem pretty tame and dont emit any heat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic