LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:42pm
Just a few flicks today - nothing too involved as I got up too late to try for the pre-dawn GTs. But I spoke to Mike who had hit my land based GT spot, he caught and released a barra on one of Wal's lures. He then lost that lure as he hooked onto something big that also straightened his snap clip.

By all accounts after speaking to and observing a lot of people, things was pretty quiet today on lures and bait. It was a hot day anyway so the air conditioning was the place to be.  Temperatures hit 42 degrees celsius, prediction was 35 degrees but officially it reached 38. But like most places, our official temperature is taken at the air port where they usually get a breeze.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 11:16pm
you need to catch that snap straightening beast Sir Martin.I think this is your questApprove
that's no how ye make porridge!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 9:46am
Or... Stop using snaps?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:20am
I’ll be using bigger snaps, or straight to the wire more often. Trouble with changing lures so often is that snaps are useful - when they don’t fail. I had always used larger rated snaps then what I should have.
Martin-

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm
...or different snaps? 
Hawaiian snaps, I've heard, are supposed to be good.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:02pm
Hawaiian are probably the stronger of the snaps! But do/would they effect the action of the lure? They are likely to fill the tow eye thus restricting or fowling the action of the lure
Maybe try Dianamite???
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 7:37am
Marty I'm being a cheeky bugger.
As you know I also use clips when I can get away with it.
Especially when I'm cycling through lures for a photo shoot.
But - I don't think there is a suitable clip in your case that won't stuff the lures.
I'd be running the wire straight to the lure and cutting that and connecting to the next lure if you can do it quickly? Or what done it the GT guys seem to do is run the trace to a solid ring and connect that solid ring to the lure with a split ring.

Actually to be perfectly honest I wouldn't cast at the bastards. Too much like hard work.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 6:45pm
Yeah ducks, I was thinking of running them to a split ring or just wire straight to the lure. I'm looking for a storage solution to pre- rigging the lures up with wire and re-tying the line with the lure changes. The prices of the lure rolls are quite prohibitive and often the pouches are not large enough for some of the bigger poppers. I'm thinking about something to do with PVC piping.

Hard work?........ but lots of fun.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:46pm
Well we finally got a decent bit of rain. Cyclone Owen only gave us 50 mm but in the last 24 hours we have had over 220 mm (about 8 1/2 inches) with more expected.  

This rain has put some colour in the water. Much of this muddy water will be on top of clean sea water so the plan for the waterfront park is to use divers to fish under the mud, or loud poppers to draw the fish up through the mud. During the last (almost non event) wet, when a fish was hooked and on the surface, it broke through the mud exposing the clean salt water underneath.

The bait will change though. The yakkas and the fusiliers will vacant the area but the hardiheads and pike should hang around. The mud herring / sardines should not have stayed on this long so we will wait and see what happens to them.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 7:58pm
OH, I forgot, around November last year the spanish mackerel started having a preference up here for smaller lures. It seems that they are once again preferring the smaller  lures, my next trip out will confirm that.

This probably has something to do with the lateness of the departure of the herring, yakkas and pike.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:58am
Little bit wet up here at the moment with some very good rain. Looks like we are going to get a good drenching this year which is only good for the future fishing. We have a low just up the road at Lockhart River who’s circle work is getting faster with the likelihood of it becoming a spinner. There are conflicting reports that I have seen about it’s likely parth. One report said that it would head almost due east. Another said that it would go over Cape York, intensify over the gulf then head towards us. Whatever happens we are going to get a few more days of heavy rain. A lot of talk about this being the best wet season since the last cyclone that Cooktown copped about 5 years ago. This would see great fishing for years to come. Readings Out of Wayne’s rain gauge last year came nearly 2 metres , we are expecting to smash that this year.                                                                                                                                             Our fishing options are a bit limited. Bait would seem to be the go with all of the flood water run off but there are still lure options around. Luring the flooded culverts for barra but it is closed season until February. However the jungle perch should be on the move as well. Tilapia are also an option at the culverts as well, would be good to knock some of those on the head. There is still salt water pushing in under the run off water during the rising tide and we have seen some big surface smashes busting up through the muddy water. But needless to say, luring this is still going to be tough. I’m not too keen on hitting Archer Point as the Esk River floods very easily and I don’t want to get stranded on the other side if a big rain comes while we are there. This river is crossed going to the point and can rise very quickly and with a rising tide, it could take a while for it to go down. Apart from that these rocks become very slippery when wet, especially with rain with a fine slime growing on it.                                                         Most of this afternoon will be cyclone preparation with stowing away loose items.
Martin-

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
Stay safe Martin! Thumbs Up
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:58pm
Nothing like being in the rain, wind howling at 9:30 at night helping your brother in law winch out of a hole in the gutter. The drive wheel went down a half metre cavity in the earthen gutter eroded away by the excessive water. The front drive wheel up in the air - no limited slip diff.
Martin-

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:36am
Aaaaah the joys of living in the Wet Tropics Martin!!! Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm
At least the improved fishing is a great compensation
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:52pm
Vehicular access to the mouth of the Annan River involves driving on the beach in front of a normally silted up creek mouth. But during heavy rain, this creek opens up to the ocean. PS We know there is a 1.3 metre croc in this creek and we suspect a bigger one further up the headwaters where it deteriorates into a heavily wooded swamp.

The first photos are at half tide. The last photo is at 90 minutes past high tide. We have seen little fish in this creek but haven't caught anything - yet.

High tide looking towards the mouth

Martin-

grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:08pm
Amazing how things change Martin. There used to be a rough track through that swamp and then on through the dunes a fair way back from the beach then on down to the river mouth. All that land was owned by old Billy Baker back then. We used to go down the mouth on Friday or Sat night and spend most of the night fishin, depending on tides, build a big fire about 6m back from high tide then camp on the "safe side" LOL

Brings back good memories, thanks mate Thumbs Up.
Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:49pm
Cheers Carl. That track has been closed for about 5 years now. The owner closed it off and now the only way in is by a track on the other side of the golf course.                                                                     On the rocks at the moment. We are baiting and luring with no success. T. Ok Wal just had a barra roll on his lure. Our target is black jewfish and sharks, but not many black jewfish have been caught here. We are hoping that is more because people are not targeting them and not because there’s not many of them around. There has been the odd surface smash out wide and a bit of bait fish moving so we are hopeful.          Yesterday there were a few barra hooked on lures and the locals are not happy that one was kept during the closed season.
Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 8:35pm
Not looking good
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 8:48pm
How good has the rain up here been. Well, up my way anyway.
Dan
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:21pm
We still only have had half of last years wet so far at about 1 metre. We need about another 1 metre to equal it., If that cyclone does as Chep’s map predicts, then we may overtake last year ‘a wet season totals- hopefully.                         Our trip on the rocks tonight saw a few big surface smashes and a lot of boots by the barra in close with some following the lures in. The baits were attacked by crabs and sea lice. Wal had a whole dead pike bitten in half by something. Still good to get out and see what happens though. All part of the learning curve.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:08pm
Went for a drive today checking out some spots I had been over before and always wanted to fish. We were not initially going to fish but couldn't help ourselves at one particular spot. 

After a few flicks I scored a bump. About 20 minutes later  I pulled in this 37 cm jungle perch on a C.R.A.F.T. Lure - cheers Roy Durre. My second biggest JPBig smileBig smileBig smile

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:14pm
Nice one Martin , the hairs comin back mate 👍😁
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:17pm
That's a bloody good JP mate. I'm really trying to sell the missus on a trip up
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:57pm
Nice fish Martin, congrats! Thumbs Up
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 7:45pm
Thanks everybody, this was a very nicely conditioned fish and another piece to the JP puzzle. At first I thought they only bred on the first summer rain but research by Wal says that they can move up and down the water ways with each rain event and this fish in this area in that condition seems to prove that.                            Yes Hooknose, the follicles are getting longer
Martin-

TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
Great JP. Once a few of the waterways clear around my way I’ll be waking a few creeks n flicking lures for a 2019 JP
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:37pm
Mad if you don’t Timmo, they are great fun
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:47pm
Got out onto the reef today with Wal. We tried a different reef that we had always wanted to explore. I started off using a HJK (Howard Kelly) 11 cm minnow. The first 3 fish were a 58 cm, a 55 cm and a 41 cm coral trout I also caught a few other reef ooglies with it before a big trout took it on the wrong side of a bommie. I then used one of Howard's 9  cm minnows scoring a number of reefies. I then used a C.R.A.F.T. minnow for another series of reefies. A 60 cm spangled emperor nailed a 16 cm Illusion lure. Then a 49 cm red throat nailed a Darcy Mencho made herring - this lure was then lost to another big trout. A minute after putting on my next lure, a Mark A  lure and it was grabbed by something big and powerful in 16 metres of water, despite my best efforts, it still made it to the bottom cutting me off.

Wal caught a series of generally smaller but very respectable coral trout (although one did go 55 cm) and spangled emperor (one at 55 cm) as well as his various reef ooglies. He too was bricked by a fish similar to the one that stole my Mark A lure. He also hooked a big spanish mackerel that another mackerel bit him off at the swivel on his wire trace.

We worked out that the reef fish were preferring smaller lures. Once he changed to smaller lures the size of his fish increased. We both threw back legal sized coral trout, but honestly, a trout smaller then 40 cm is puny. I'm regretting keeping my 41 cm trout as I feel that this too was too small (legal size is 38 cm).

HJK lures

C.R.A.F.T. lures, this lure nailed a lot of reef species. I used it mainly during the slack water of the high tide and a lot of bigger fish short struck it. The paint job on this lure was decimated by all the sharp teeth.

The Mencho lure and red throat

Illusion lures

Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:51pm
Close your snaps Marty
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
It doesn't look like it's closed, but it is. With that snap I usually flatten the "tag" once it is "hooked" around itself - if that makes senseWacko, with pointed nosed pliers. I can only do that closing it that way. I do that if I intend on keeping that lure on for quite a while. If I think I'm going change lures often, then I close it "tighter". I haven't lost any fish doing it this way and I find that the snap doesn't tangle with the tow point as often - if that makes senseConfused.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:31pm
Back on my new favourite reef again today with Mike. My first lure on was another HJK 11 11 cm minnow. After a slow start we moved positions closer to where Wal and I were fishing the other day.

After a spangled emperor and 4 coral trout, including a double header (39 and 50 cm fish, the smaller one went back as well as  another smaller trout), and numerous other reefies, and Mike had caught 1 stripey, I offered him the use of the HJK.

Before I go further, the tactic is to make as long a cast as possible as we are fishing very clear water in 5 metres and less with bommies 2 to 3 metres under the water. The lures are worked with a very aggressive and fast twitch and the fish are mainly taking small lures. Mike was using a heavy rod and was not able to twitch his lures fast enough. Consequently he missed out on a lot of fish and no trout. I scored over 40 fish in total.

I put on another Mark A Lure, a 12 cm (?) flat sided minnow. Once again, in the water on the first cast , a solid hook up, 15 kilo braid peeling off the reel, drag tightened a little and a huge spangled emperor came up close to the boat. It then realised it was is a heap of trouble and put on the after burners and powered off dodging the bommies.  I tightened the drag right up as it was running out of clear sandy bottom, changed directions to head back to more sand and as it did so, the line touched a piece of reef and gone. I needed a cuddle then but I needed a blonde on the boat instead of Mike.

On with a Vicious Fishes 10  cm minnow and 2 legal coral trout and numerous other reefies, it too was taken from me by a coral trout on the wrong side of a bommie.

On with a Blinky tiger minnow. Another series of mixed reefies and a 54 cm coral trout. By this time Mike had caught a nice tea leaf trevally on an Illusion Lure. These tea leafs are great eating if properly looked after.

We tried various lures trolling out and back for no result.

Illusion Lure

Blinky lure

HJK LURE

VICIOUS FISHES LURE

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
The new year is being good to you mate, hasnt stopped blowing here since you passed through. Keep up the good work mate!!!
Cheers Steve R!!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:40pm
I will be taking my niece and her 2 sons out on Friday. Supposed to be a very good day out. As her sons haven't been on a tinny before, I don't how they handle any motion sickness. I am not looking at fishing much myself but trying to get them onto fish.

Tiffany wants her sons to experience northern fishing as opposed to catching Atlantic salmon in Tasmania. 
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:46pm
prologue - Well I knew it was dangerous taking Tiffany out fishing. If there is only one fish caught, she will catch it. If there are more then one caught then she will catch the biggest. 

We hit the reef and it looked good, until storms started up around us threatening to dump on us and with the lightning we thought it best to call an early fish. But not before a small stripey, a small tomato cod came on board with 3 lost lures (yes including another Mark A LureCry).

Almost back in and there was a small wind swell building from a storm but the rain had stayed away. As the bumping around was a bit uncomfortable for the kids, a decision was made to troll the rest of the way back. Well 5 minutes after Tiffany commented that she wanted to catch a queenfish ..... well ....

90 cm of queenfish on a Wade Garland Whiptail lure.
Tiffany handled this fish like a pro and wanted to hold the fish for the camera.

My consolation prize was this spotty mackerel on a Mark A Lure

Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 50>
  Share Topic