LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:40pm
On Saturday evening I tried one of the boat ramps. Having not much success there before I thought I was mainly wasting time. 20 minutes later and a mangrove jack smashed my lure as I was abou to lift it out of the water. I quickly mad it's way under a rock and cut me off - all within 2 seconds. That lure was one of Steiny's, a DJR deep Creak Freak (with how well they go on the reef I suggested Reef ChiefBig smile). Panic as I though it was my last one. A rummage around in my lure boxes and success I had another one - ready for my trip to Lakefield National Park today.

Myself, Ed (Scotch n Dry), and Ed's wife Jody walked the banks for not much success. I ended up with one barramundi about 45 cm, Ed scored 2 at about 45 cm and about 40 cm, Jody did not manage to land anything. We all tried hard and we all had many follows, soft takes, short takes but they were not really interested. We thought it was going to be a good day as the weather was warmer, but it seems not warm enough.( I'll skip the part where Ed came back to the car seeing me wiping my tears after loosing my newly found DJR to a lure eating tree on the other side of the river.)

I got my fish on an MFL (Moore Fish Lure), Ed got one on an RMG Scorpion and another on a Headland Lure (by Cam Cupitt).  My recently departed DJR had many follows and short takes as did Jody's gold Bomber and the various lures that Ed used. We had plenty of interest from the fish but not many committed enough to say "this lure is mine". Still it was a good walk in the bush carrying the fishing rodsLOL

my barra on the MFL

Ed's fish

The area we fished breaks up into little rivulets, side channels and gutters so we didn't have much in the way of substantial water to fish. We parked the car at a large hole but it was recently vacated by a mob who fished it from a tinny. They said that the fish were few and far between. As with everywhere, the further you get away from where the crowds go, the better the fishing usually is. We did try this bigger hole for no success.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 12:21pm
Now I know what the members of ZZ top have been up to since the covid19 lockdown....

Good show, glad to see your back at it!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:56pm
Le Grange - the best ZZ Top song ever- beards that sing, unlike me though ( seriously you do not want to hear me trying to sing- totally tone deaf and tuneless)

All week I have been watching the weather for today for the winds were predicted to be down for today and tomorrow on one site, down for a week on another site, and blowing dogs off chains on another weather site. So on Wednesday I went to take the boat out for a run just so I could remember how to “ boat “ again and to learn my new sounder and electric outboard. Went to turn on the sounder at home and nothing, but the radio crackled. Took the sounder out of it’s cradle and the radio stopped. Sounder back in and the radio crackled again. Thought I had an electrical problem, I took it to the outboard mechanic. Turns out when my nephews were hunted out of my boat they left the radio on and I had a flat battery. Took the boat out for a run and started aquatinting myself with the new Garmin and thought I would try the new Minn Kota electric motor. Would not turn on . Thought that these 2 batteries were also flat so when I got home I tested them - both batteries fully charged so I’ll be knocking on the door offf c the outboard mechanic on Monday. 

Before I picked up the boat today I went to Archer Point throwing around stick baits. Nice calm seas for once and after an hour I was smashed by a huge GT using a HJK stickbait. You would think that after a blistering run with a heavy drag setting on the reel that the fish would have been securely hooked. But it still managed to spit out the lure - bummer.

Tomorrow I’ll take the boat out again for another play. May even try to fish. I thought I had successfully transferred my GPS co-ordinates from my last sounder but obviously hadn’t. I’ll mark the easy ones first before manually keying in the others.
Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Modest as ever, still downplaying your capers I see.

The party boat eh?, hate to be a coast guard rolling upon that scene...lucky it was only the battery.

Will get some lures posted to you soon. Bibs are finished and most have received a dunk in sealer. Do GT eat yabbies, don't think these would hold up to such a vicious fish?

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:36pm
If the lure makes enough splash on landing in the water, and a big   commotion in the water, then they'll take it. Mind you, they also take deep divers as well but I get more on surface lures.

Woke up this morning with a swollen ankle - don't know what from. I was thinking of putting the boat in for another run to test out the new electric motor. I found the problem - a faulty isolator switch that was a quick fix. Every time I went to put weight on the foot, I found out that that was not a very good idea. By the late afternoon the swelling had gone down a lot and it wasn't as sore, so I may go out for a quick run tomorrow. Today was just a lounge around on bed day babying the foot.

No the weather - good yesterday, and today, but according to one site - winds up but still ok until next Wednesday. Another 2 sites says "forget it" loud and clear from now on. Only thing to do is to be prepared to go out at the drop of a hat.
Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 11:22pm
Good work Martin. Will organise a couple more creek freaks for you mate.
cheers steiny
Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 2:29pm
Just gone through this thread, not seen it before, it makes a good fishing diary doesn’t it. Great photos And stories to match, better than a fishing mag. 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Rivoli Rivoli wrote:

Just gone through this thread, not seen it before, it makes a good fishing diary doesn’t it. Great photos And stories to match, better than a fishing mag. 

Thanks Rivoli. Part the reasons for this post is to show what is caught at what time of the year for anybody coming up this way, as well as explaining what I do and, at times possible reasons  why I missed out. But you are right, it does make a good diary.

As a tip that many people haven't cottoned onto yet. A good reason to keep your old fishing newspaper type publications is so you can refer to them like a diary from all the different writers. Instead of cataloging them in years, do it in the months. That way, come that month of the year you can easily refer back to a couple of years worth of info for that particular month. So if you wanted to holiday in Yepoon in December - go to all the January editions (as the reports are from the previous month) and read back a few years from reports around Yepoon and you are fully briefed as to what to expect.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:35pm
Yesterday I finally got my boat out. It was more about marking a few of the more obvious spots on my new sounder as I know some of them by the old method of lining up land marks. I did this on a northward run then instead of heading out to the offshore reefs like I had originally intended, I went further up the coast to suss out a reef up there. This rocky reef was stripped of all of it's weed growth during a big blow last year and I wanted to see how it was recovering. Well not much weed growth on it still and not a fish to bee seen. I trolled a big mackerel lure (made by Gary Ransom - Townsville)on the way up and lost that to "something", I would say a mackerel bit me off. I saw my rod "twitch"out the corner of my eye and when I checked it - no lure. The fish bit right on the swivel as there was still half a curl of the knot in the end of my line.

When I got to a small rocky reef (before my intended destination), I switched over to small minnows and trolled between 1 and 5 metres of water. I have caught some good coral trout here before, but today was only small reef fish.

On the way back I trolled for mackerel again but in the 11 to 14 metre zone for not a touch. Oh well, at least I became more personal with my new 80 pound thrust Minn Kota and the foot remote. Next trip will be to the coral reefs, my  preferred environment.

Some of the small reefies caught on the K.A.D. lures

Some reefies on Heaadland Lures

The days have been getting warmer and so has the water. Yesterday the water temp in the mouth of the Endevour River was nearly 24 degrees celcius and there have been more barramundi caught around the wharf in the last 4 days then in the previous 4 weeks - bring on the warm water. 

Also note that, if I remember, I squash the barbs on my lures. As the fish flap about the boat they often throw the hooks, but I prefer that then the hassle of a barbed hook in human flesh - especially mine.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
Wal Muffett's Illusion Lures are for sale in the Lure Shop here in Cooktown and they are gaining a great reputation on the barra. Today I met a bloke who has been touring Cape York for the past year deciding where to settle down and he showed me a tag from an 81 cm barra he caught in Lakefield National Park. A comedy of errors from dropping his phone in the water, a very hungry goanna wanting to challenge ownership of  the barra and a rocky ledge meant that the barra didn't survive. He called the number on the tag and spoke to "Bill"(Bill Sawynok most probably) who is going to send him the details of the fish's original capture.

Other barra caught recently on Wal's lures that I have heard about first hand is a 64 cm barra by Roly (featured in some posts) and another at 74 cm by another local. The staff in The Lure Shop states that sales are going well and I often see his stocks in there get refilled then get rapidly depleted.

The Wedgetail that caught the 81 cm tagged barra.

According to one of the weather apps, I should be able to get out a couple of times next week. I am really itching to hit GT corner again.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 12:45pm
One of the locals has a You Tube channel where he puts up footage from under the wharves up here. He calls it Cooktown Underwater - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EwvvESLrDs

He started all of this a few months ago, but now that the water is getting clearer he'll be getting better footage. You can see some good footage of barra, mangrove jacks,and one scene of one of the big groper. 

No you may ask why, with all of these great fish around, are there not more barra, jacks etc getting caught. These fish have made this area their home and have seen all manner of baits and lures presented to them - they are highly educated and hard to fool. In fact lately, the best bait to catch one of these resident barra is not to use live bait, but a dead herring. Seems that they have learnt that a injured herring bites back and now they mop up the dead fish when the bait is replaced with a new one. But it won't take long for the barra to cotton onto the dead herring bait.

Yesterday morning I watched a couple of decent sized barra swimming on the edges of a massive school of herring. The only thing that got them interested was when a couple of hardiheads showed up. When Mick (now called Avocado Mick because he works at an avocado farm are it distinguishes him from other Micks and Micheals) had cast his imitation hardihead lure towards them, they came up for a look. But as Mick diminished their numbers by one a couple of weeks ago with the same lure - they only watched it go past. You may think that I am crediting these fish with too much brain activity. But I have used hardihead imitation lures on them before, if one fish follows the lure, and whether he hits it or not, it won't hit it again. If another barra watched that first barra, it won't hit the lure, or even follow it at all. I went through 6 lure changes one night before I caught one of these fish. I watched all of this unfold before me in 1 metre of water under a light on the wharf. That lure has not caught another barra at this wharf since.

Some of the locals häve been making use of the Çooktown drones" when live baiting for mackerel. Now to use these "drones"to get your live bait further out, you cast your bait out, wait for a seagull to swoop down and scoop it off the surface of the water, have your reel in free spool and let the bird fly out over the water (usually away from the wharves). When the bird has taken it across the channel or the desired distance, yank on the line and the herring will pull from the beak dropping back into the waterLOL.  The bird is too busy trying to keep the bait from other birds that it doesn't get the chance to swallow the bait and hook. Natural drone fishing.
Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 2:50pm
Gotta agree with chef boyardee, err I mean Ravioli...RIVOLI! third times a charm eh? A bit tongue tied, bugger does some nice lures though. My silly way of baptizing you to the site and welcome you aboard personally!Thumbs Up

Rivoli hit on on the head, this is premium material not found in contemporary sport mags, least not here in the states. Most of the content is about a little blue pill to help you in extracurricular activities, how to get cell phone signal on the water, or a recycled article on the top ten copied and pasted from the same page for the last 30 years. One big advertisement for too much money if you ask me...which no one is? If anyone deserves a shot in the limelight to lead us away from reality from a nostalgic standpoint it is Tin Ram. Leading us back to a forgotten time some decades ago when anglers would poetically narrate their conquests, think they were still selling VHS tapes then???? 

Tin Ram, you are doing the lords work, err not with livestock...I mean in regards to fishing and bringing us alongside your adventures. Is every post a landslide of fish and stories of the one that got away, no. It is honest and humbling, the grit of a true angler in pursuit of a good time, all whilst delicately alleviating us of our own reality. We are but passengers in for a trip. The true series of a bloke who lives the sport in his bones/beard.

Once again Tin Ram keep it up, never bored or tired reading your angler diary.=Always read with wonder and envy. One request is to bring Nicho and Chris  on a outing to make for a unique disaster or angler horrorshow...don't forget the Viking armor at Nicho's!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 9:56pm
ERRR UHMMMM thanks for the kind words Ardent AnglerEmbarrassedLOL

Well the day finally arrived where I headed out to the coral reefs. Accompanying me was (avocado ) Mick who took a day off work, much to the chagrin of his boss who wanted to hit the reefs himself. But he couldn't deny Mick as he has worked so many extra days (and nights).

A troll out didn't produce anything which was surprising as those in bigger boats have been smashing the mackerel. Out on the reef flats and bommies a series of small reef species came aboard. Mick scored a nice legal 41 cm coral trout that went back. I scored a gold spot cod about 50 cm that went back. We were wondering why we were having our lures followed by bigger fish but with very few hits, until we saw how active the sharks were. A few  times we watched as our lures were being buzzed by spangled emperor and bigger coral trout only to see them veer off as a reef shark started buzzing them. Mick still landed a nice 47 cm spangled anyway. Mick by this time had lost 2 Shimano minnows new out of the packet to fish bricking him in shallow water.

A little further on and we watched as a stripey about 30 cm hit my HJK minnow. Then we watched as a big black coral trout that looked to be in excess of a metre rocket up from about 20 foot deep, engulf the stripey and lure and headed straight to the bottom. I tried to pressure the fish from reaching the bottom of a bommie and was starting to gain ground on it. Then it came a powerful kick, my 2 month old Diawa 15 kg rated rod broke at the grips, and the fish made it to shelter cutting me off on the coral. Bugger that I lost the fish, lure and busted the rod but it was awesome to see and I was still laughing about it a few hours later.

After only a few more small reef fish and we decided to troll the outer edge for nil result. A troll over to the neighbouring reef to try for giant trevally at GT corner and, well, it lived up to it's name. After a try at a coral cay before GT corner where we saw a few GTs that gave us very little attention I was beginning to think that this could also be a non event. But soon at the corner and Mick was onto a big black GT (males turn black when in breeding mode) (easily a metre in length) with another brand new lure, a big pink stick bait. Unfortunately I cast cast my lure just as Mick was hit and I was trying to untangle our lines as his fish swam around my line. All this while I was also trying to operate my new foot remote for my electric motor with the intention of getting on the same side of the bommie that the fish was on. Well this did not happen of course and Mick had his line rubbed up against the bommie - exit another brand new lure.

We motored under electric power further up the corner casting to bommies as we went. We saw a school of about 30 smaller GTs at about 80 cm each with a couple of big black GTs on the outer edge of them. They followed our lures a little then took off as a couple of sharks came over. So for a while we were spotting these fish but having our party ruined by the sharks. 

I changed over from surface noise making lures - poppers, big murray cod lures as these were not interesting the fish at all. I put on a big HJK stick bait and cast it towards a fin from a GT laying up on top of a bommie. 4 sweeps of the lure and I was on. This was another big black GT and was easily better then my personal best  (107 cm). In fact this thing would  have smashed my personal best - would haveCry. I fought this brute for about 5 minutes chasing it around bommies with the electric motor and trying to coerse it into a bigger, less reefy sand flat - NOPE, it had other ideas and managed to find a bommie.

A few minutes later Mick cast over to a small school of smaller GTs and was rewarded with a 67 cm fish.

By this time it was getting late in the day and a troll home got me a 111 cm spanish mackerel on a Gil Hop lure and Mick scored a nice 90 cm spotty mackerel.

Some photos of Mick and his fish

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:27pm

Another photo of Mick

Photos of me

I tried using my bigger rod with the smaller lures after my smaller rod was broken, but it was too difficult. The result is only just the one fish on the Mad Dog lure I tried.

On a K.A.D. these lures attracted lots of attention, but the sharks were particularly plentiful while I was using them. Had to whip them away from a few sharks.

A couple of fish on Seagull's lure 

Some fish on the Dave Pearce garfish blanks

Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:36pm
Great to see you out again Smile 
And a good days fishing it looks like 
Thanks fore showing Martin Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
             Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 1:10pm
Unreal, some nice macks there. 
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 11:12pm
Love to get there and fish one day. Always give us a great read.  But boy that hair has got long and may need the LureLovers treatment.  LOLLOL
whipit
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by whipit whipit wrote:

Love to get there and fish one day. Always give us a great read.  But boy that hair has got long and may need the LureLovers treatment.  LOLLOL

ShockedShockedShocked

Was supposed to head up to Weipa in the next couple of days but my mate phoned up saying his back is playing up so the trip may be a few days or a few weeks delayed- bummer
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 6:38am
Was supposed to have gone further north this  week with the final destination being Weipa. But Bill called up a week ago and he is still being laid up with a crook back. It's been a month now and he thinks 2 more weeks should he him able to walk the river banks up north. That's good for me because I have a swollen foot. A first I thought it was sprained but now 3 week later and it's still sore so I'm resting that up as it's responding to that and getting better.

So my boo boo on my foot means that I'll be giving Lakefield National Park a miss before we go north.

The winds have come up since my last trip out onto the reef. Speeds of up to 76 kilometres per hour have been recorded and over the next week the predicted lowest winds are 39 kph. So no more boating for a while. Even the river mouth has been badly affected with the stirred up water turning into something resembling iced coffee. This doesn't make the jetty rats happy as the water was starting to clear right up bringing the big spanish mackerel onto the bite. Well when  Roly, the biggest jetty rat of them all, only fishes the wharf once in the last 7 days, you know things are pretty crook.

Oh well, here's to a laid up footBeer and hopefully it's better for the freshwater further north then Weipa.

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:07am
foot injury is probably from carrying around all that weight of hair on your head, get a hair-cut . . . . mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 4:12pm
Tin Ram- is a boo boo or gout? Heal up fast, was looking forward to your next adventure, will wait patiently. Best of luck!

Mick- don't shear the sheep!

P.S. next time when you leave the house don't kick the dog... not nice to the doggie or the foot, just saying?
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:57pm
Always a great read Martin👍
Life is fishing!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by ArdentAngler ArdentAngler wrote:

Gotta agree with chef boyardee, err I mean Ravioli...RIVOLI! third times a charm eh? A bit tongue tied, bugger does some nice lures though. My silly way of baptizing you to the site and welcome you aboard personally!Thumbs Up

Rivoli hit on on the head, this is premium material not found in contemporary sport mags, least not here in the states. Most of the content is about a little blue pill to help you in extracurricular activities, how to get cell phone signal on the water, or a recycled article on the top ten copied and pasted from the same page for the last 30 years. One big advertisement for too much money if you ask me...which no one is? If anyone deserves a shot in the limelight to lead us away from reality from a nostalgic standpoint it is Tin Ram. Leading us back to a forgotten time some decades ago when anglers would poetically narrate their conquests, think they were still selling VHS tapes then???? 

Tin Ram, you are doing the lords work, err not with livestock...I mean in regards to fishing and bringing us alongside your adventures. Is every post a landslide of fish and stories of the one that got away, no. It is honest and humbling, the grit of a true angler in pursuit of a good time, all whilst delicately alleviating us of our own reality. We are but passengers in for a trip. The true series of a bloke who lives the sport in his bones/beard.

Once again Tin Ram keep it up, never bored or tired reading your angler diary.=Always read with wonder and envy. One request is to bring Nicho and Chris  on a outing to make for a unique disaster or angler horrorshow...don't forget the Viking armor at Nicho's!

LOL
 TIMRAN
BLUE PILLS
LIVESTOCK
LORDS WORK
VHS TAPES
FISHY
IN PURSUIT OF A GOOD TIME

Theres a Raunchy Novel waiting to be penned right there
Confused
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:07pm
No dog to kick. Not gout, I was hoping it was because a jar of stewed cherries rids the body of uric acid in 3 days - but that hasn't helped me.

I have been throwing a few lures around on the areas that has level walking but nothing has chased the lures. With winds up to 75 kph, and only dropping to around 35 kph in the last couple of days, well the water has been the colour of iced coffee, even the live baiters at the wharf have been missing out on the barra as they have been strangely quiet.

I walked along the beach to the mouth of the Annan River a few times for, again, no interest. Yesterday, being the last time, I got back to my car (9 kilometre walk) and my crook foot was strangely sore again - I forgot to put on my ankle support so today is a rest up - again. When I do go up to Weipa, I don't care how sore my foot is, I'm walking the bank chasing the freshwater fishes. I don't care if I come back home on crutches.

3 years ago on the walk to the Annan River there were 2 x 2 metre square sections of a concrete pontoon on the beach. Last year they were washed back out. 6 months ago a 4 x 1.5 metre section of concrete pontoon has washed up and is taken back out and re-appears on another stretch of the beach on the higher tides. Fancy hitting a piece of this at high speed in your boat as it's floating around the ocean. Or one of the many 5 tonne plus logs that are constantly being washed up.

Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
I'am not carrying youHug Martin, when you be hobbling on one foot 😀 Maybe have to hire a wheelbarrow for you😉
 Make sure you rest up for that reef trip and hopefully the winds will be in our favour 🙄

Cheers🍺
Dave

Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

I'am not carrying youHug Martin, when you be hobbling on one foot 😀 Maybe have to hire a wheelbarrow for you😉
 Make sure you rest up for that reef trip and hopefully the winds will be in our favour 🙄

Cheers🍺
Dave

LOLLOL My foot will definitely be better by then. Anyway I can still rest the foot while boating it.

I went for a walk on the beaches yesterday and the day before. The flat surface doesn't seem to affect the foot. It's amazing what blows up on the beaches up here with a strong on shore wind.

days total

nec minnit - or next day

2 lures caught on a piece of bamboo

day's total

There were lots of these bird eggs on the beach so I'll suggest that a bird rookery was damaged by our strong winds and resultant wave action.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:33pm
Well I couldn't help it. The end of the barra season is coming fast and I  so wanted to get more fishing time in. So I arranged to pick up Mickey Rat at 7 am today and we headed off to Lakefield walking the bank. Now my foot was feeling pretty good in the ankle guard and in a tight fitting shoe so I thought - why not?

We hit one hole at Lakefield but it was so heavily fished, that people had cut steps into the bank. Also another hint was a fire still burning from the previous 3 cars that we passed on the way in. Another hint was 4 wheeler tracks along the bank. We didn't stop here long before we went exploring and found some great camp sites for the next time we camp overnight.

We headed to another hole hoping to be able to cross the river but it was too high. We found a snag with plenty of active fish on it but it was very confined and difficult to get a lure out. I ended up with 2 rat barra caught on a K.A.D. lure around 30 to 35 cm long. Michael and I had plenty of missed strikes from barra over 70 cm long to smaller rat barra.

Walking flat or with ankle angle upwards was fine. What hurt my foot was stumbling getting caught up in vines and roots off various plants. That seemed to overextend my foot so I was soon sore again. We went back to the car where I stopped and rested while Michael continued fishing for 2 rat barra on a DJR Creek Freak (?). And thus ended our day.

my 2 fish on the K.A.D. 

One of the 2 rat barra caught by Michael using the DJR lure both about 40 cm

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:47pm
Nice work Marty 😁👍
Cheers Steve R  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:52am
I told ya, get a hair-cut, and your foot will get better. . . . .mick
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:50pm
Nice work Martin finding those lures and looking forward to catching up😃
Might use that frog of puglee's to see if i can score one rat on it😄😉
Like my old mate would say "tight lines"😀
Life is fishing!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:46pm
Well done guys!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

I remember a long haired lout driving a fork lift about 35 years ago MickWink
Was told not to go near him because he was a mad buggerShocked
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:55pm
Leaving for Weipa on Friday. Stopping off for a fish in the freshwater on the way up, not sure when we'll grace Weipa with our presence.

We are getting rain here in Cooktown. Very unusual. I have seen a short light shower here at this time of year a couple of times before but not like this of days of drizzle interspersed with short sharp showers. Maybe we'll get a good wet this year. Winds are still up and water dirty most of the time so hopefully Weipa will be kind to us.
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:48am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

I remember a long haired lout driving a fork lift about 35 years ago MickWink
Was told not to go near him because he was a mad buggerShocked

aahhh back in the days when I had hair on my head, just a memory . . . .mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:00pm
gout
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 50>
  Share Topic