LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:32am
good stuffThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:56pm
Get into them Martin, half your luck mate 😁
Cheers Steve R !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:36pm
Been getting some fish. The rain is flooding the rivers and making it difficult to get out at runes. Other times the westerlies have flattened the water right out. Locals have told me the westerlies kill the bite-and so it seems. I’ll post some photos once I get my laptop back. Been in for repairs and using the phone is took much of a hassle
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:31pm
Ok I have my laptop back, albeit missing a few programs that is going to be interesting.
A quick run down of some fish photos. Things are a little quiet due to the rivers going in and out of flood making it hard to know where the fish are going to be. Plus also the westerly winds which seem to have put the dampeners on the reef fishing - this is what other fishos and spear fishermen have told me and it seems to be the case.

We also have tilapia up her, this 41 cm model was caught on a Headland Lure

The westerly winds clear flatten out the water, this is Vicki Harriott Reef. Water this clear make the fish very wary

Wal with a big spotty mackerel on one of his lures

Wal with another mackerel on the same lure - before he lost it to an even bigger mackerel.

Me with a 120+ cm spanish mackerel on a Fugly Martin's Minnow

A close up of that lure and the mackerel's head - nice teeth

We also did a bit of bait fishing, but I didn't take photos of those fish - coral trout, morwong, trevally, red throat sweet lip.

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
get a hair-cutLOLLOL......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:21pm
I did, I cut one this morning Wink
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 7:08pm
that Vicky Harriot reef reminds me of the shallow reefs up redcliffe way Martin,the reefs at Redcliff and scarborough dont fish good during the day but really well at night .maybe your reef would be the same with the westerly's?.or is it too dangerous nightime?

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 2:39pm
I was just looking on the weather map the other day when you got a lot on rain up there and thought that bugger wouldn't be fishing.LOL Does it bring the crocs out more, meaning not the beard but the rainLOLLOL

Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:34pm
Fantastic pics n report. Keep em coming
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

I was just looking on the weather map the other day when you got a lot on rain up there and thought that bugger wouldn't be fishing.LOL Does it bring the crocs out more, meaning not the beard but the rainLOLLOL

Mad Dog
a croc wouldn't take martin, they'd spit him outDead.....mick
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

Mad Dog
a croc wouldn't take martin, they'd spit him outDead.....mick

Hard man you are MickLOL
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

that Vicky Harriot reef reminds me of the shallow reefs up redcliffe way Martin,the reefs at Redcliff and scarborough dont fish good during the day but really well at night .maybe your reef would be the same with the westerly's?.or is it too dangerous nightime?

Safe enough for overnighters Chris, but I would want a bigger boat just in case it blows up a  bit - or the winds change direction. Plenty of people go out over night.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:25pm

Mad Dog

At this time of year the crocs are on the move with their breeding activities so we are seeing quite a few around the place. Some of the closer reefs are commonly visited all year around by them - google Drapers Patches, Blackbird Patches, Dawsons and Cowlinshaws Reefs, Archer Point. All of these have quite a few croc encounters by spear fishermen (plus Archer's is a tiger shark breeding ground).
Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 3:38pm
Nice fish Martin!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
Still a lot of minor flooding events in the rivers that extend quite a bit. A lot of our fishing is pretty close in. We are going to have to do another reef trip before I head back down around Innisfail way next week.
Last week end I went into the Barra Bonanza at Youngaburra / Tinaroo last week end. All I got were 5 catfish on Wal's and Cam's lures. I dropped near the boat what would have been the biggest catfish of the comp. (Biggest went 58 cm).

Cam got 2 mussels on his Headland Lures, an 93.5 cm barra and dropped another around 80 cm near the boat.

Back at "camp"

I'll be going to South Australia next month fishing and annoying friends and family along the way. 
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm
You've got to watch those mussels, they can be nasty .
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:06pm
I forgot to mention that one of Cam's sons was fishing with bait trying for the biggest catfish. Now every catch was to be photographed for a "mystery catch". Phillip had tethered 2 small catfish until his mother could get to him to photograph them. These catties were in 2 foot of water when a metre plus barra chewed them both.Shocked Myself, Cam and his other son watched the "take" from my boat.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

I forgot to mention that one of Cam's sons was fishing with bait trying for the biggest catfish. Now every catch was to be photographed for a "mystery catch". Phillip had tethered 2 small catfish until his mother could get to him to photograph them. These catties were in 2 foot of water when a metre plus barra chewed them both.Shocked Myself, Cam and his other son watched the "take" from my boat.
sounds like theres a market for lures that look like catfish?,thats amazing MartinShockedBig smile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Yes Chris, I think a grey top and white belly - just don't give it spinesCry because I would spike myselfLOL.

One of the live baits used for sharks in the Logan River down your way is a small cattie with the spines cut off - might be worth while for barra in the salt as well.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
Have had a few trips looking for barra. We know they are around the wharf but they are being real picky. We are still waiting for the big females to come back into the rivers. Still to bad weather wise to go out past the river's mouth.

This morning was an early start to try the wharf. I had 4 nudges and over 20 follows. When these barra "touch" your lure, or follows your lure a few times, they work out what it is and they won't be back - so you change your lure. After about 10 lure changes I managed to hook a nice little 63 cm model on a Cam Cupitt "Headland Lure". These things are chasing hardiheads so matching them in lures size and colours is a must.

Went for another session this evening and found this guy - one of the smaller groper at about 170 to 200 cm long. No barra is going to hang around with this guy there. The bigger ones are around 250 to 300 cm long.

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 5:33am
get a hair-cutLOL.........mick
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Looking more like Tom Hanks in Castaway every day lol.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

get a hair-cutLOL.........mick

WHY???
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:05pm
Still waiting for the barra to move back into the rivers here in Cookie. Further south around Innisfail the barra are making their way up the rivers  but that's because they get more rain and so they have already finished their breeding.

Still too rough to get out and rivers still  too dirty for the pelagics to come into the rivers.

Went out today and Wal got a little cod and an undersized barra of about 50 cm.

Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:00pm
Martin--the penny has just dropped- Youré the old guy with the big white beard on the ''BCF'' adds Stern Smile.
Just kidding, keep posting them mate, down here the fishing is bloody awefull for this time of year.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Martin--the penny has just dropped- Youré the old guy with the big white beard on the ''BCF'' adds Stern Smile.
Just kidding, keep posting them mate, down here the fishing is bloody awefull for this time of year.
Pete

LOLLOLLOL...... hmmmm, maybe I ought to auditionLOLLOLLOL
Martin-

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:13pm
dont bother !!!   lol Unhappy
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by hypnos hypnos wrote:

dont bother !!!   lol Unhappy
cheers
bazz

You jealous of this head on handsomeness Barry?TongueLOLLOLLOL
Martin-

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:45am
that must be it mate !!!  lol
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:52am
head? handsomness?DeadLOL.....mick
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
You do look like that old fart on BCF adds MartinLOL but where is WalUnhappy

Keep on fishing MateWinkThumbs Up
Life is fishing!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:34pm
Great selection of fish you nail up there Martin.

Keep those pictures  coming

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm
Rough weather up here at the moment, mainly due to cyclone Nora. Still only some small male barra in the rivers, still waiting for the big females to come in. 

Will start my trip to Sth Aust next week spending Easter with a mate in Townsville, then fishing with him in Wodonga on my way back. Being retired now means that my time frames are not set and I can stop at all those places I've always wanted to. Will be looking at catching up with that mob in Sth East Qld as well the week after Easter
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:42am
Looking forward on the reports from your trip
Keep posting your retiment adventures, so the rest off us can drule and dream

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Will be looking at catching up with that mob in Sth East Qld as well the week after Easter
Thumbs Upmight try and get out for fish mate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>
  Share Topic