LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:15pm
Hope so Chris,I spoke with Ollie and he may be interested with a catch up as wellThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:19pm
Well the wind has been blowing hard, normally from the south east, and this is not very good for the fishing. Too cold for the barra and too rough for the reef / blue water. Thrown into the mix is a frequent shower and the fishing is very very difficult.

Wal and I went out today for 7 am start chasing barra up the river. By mid afternoon we were just poking our noses out through the river heads hoping a mackerel or a queenfish but still nothing. 

For our efforts Wal was bitten off by a little barracuda and I scored a massive hit from a barramundi but no hook up. At least all of the other boats out fared as badly as what we did.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:07pm
The school up here has a bike ride for the year 8's every year. This ride starts from the turn off to Starkey  River on Battle Camp Road, and goes over the Starkey, Jeanie Rivers, onto the Wakooka Road then onto Kalpower in Lakefield National Park. This is a 220 kilometre bike ride.

Yesterday my brother in law - Wayne, and myself left to check the road conditions. The section of "road" from the Starkey River to Wakooka Road was only 65 kilometres, but it took us over 6 hours to drive. It is a real 4 wheel drive track. 

We camped at Barramundi Creek getting there at 7 pm dodging small freshwater crocodiles at some of the creek crossings. All night we heard barra boofing the surface. Next morning saw us throwing lures in this creek, I   had a half interested boof on a Pete Rayner stick bait and Wayne had a half hearted hit on a gold bomber. We were still in the grip of strong south easterly winds and it was quite cool.

At 9 am this morning we hit a water hole (secret spot) still in Lakefield National Park. We walked the bank towards the bottom end of the pool to a long series of rapids. It wasn't until after 11 am that we started getting hits. We decuced that the water was warming up over the rapids.

I ended up with a 63 cm on a Pete Rayner lure, and a 35 cm and a 51 cm barra on a Mark A Lure (which I ended up losing to a snag). Wayne borrowed one of my Mark a Lures after he lost his only two gold bombers (he also lost this lure as wellCry), but he scored a 43 cm barra before it went bye byes.

Lots of saltwater crocodiles with two over 5 meters.

The barra on the Pete Rayner lure

my two barra on the Mark A Lure

the 5 metre plus crocs

Wayne is with Telstra and he is having trouble sending me his photo of his barra. When it finally happens, I'll post it up.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:42pm
Wayne's 43 cm barra on the Mark A Lure

Martin-

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:13am
Well done guys and those croc's look sick asLOL

Cheers,
Mad Dog Dave
Life is fishing!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:26am
Thanks Martin, awesome report, I really need to head north again soon I think.  Cool
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:48pm
Still a hard blowing south easterly wind but we gave it a try in the creeks off the Endevour River- only one small barracuda, not even an undersized crab in the 2 pots we had out with the baits not even touched. No surprise really as the water temperature was struggling to maintain 23 dgrees. Even though I hate the humidity, I can't wait for summer and the higher water temperatures to bring on the bite.
Martin-

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:58pm
What about the rocks
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

What about the rocks

Too windy to fish the rocks John, I love rock fishing but not enjoyable in the strong winds.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:19pm
Went to a local river today that I had always wanted to fish. Didn't check the tides as it was more of an exploratory trip. Turns out today was one of those "no high tide" days - details are-
low at 8:27 am at 1.48 metres
high at 9:19 am at 1.48 metres
low at 4:53 pm at 1.10 metres

This meant that there as no run in the water at all, and the freshwater reaches of this very short river extended to the mouth of the river.

Still we had a pretty interesting session. Wal was busted off right next to the boat by a fingermark, his light light caught up just as the fish went for a final lunge. We found this lure about 6 hours later. I then had a sizzling run on my light rod, left with only 3 wraps of line on the spool, I tried to put the brakes on only to have the leader "scuff" through losing my green jointed Murphy Lure. We found this lure an hour later only to be bricked on an oyster encrusted rock by a mangrove jack. I also lost a Pete Rayner lure on another jack. Lost a Mark A scorpion lure painted in my own coloures to a fingermark that bricked me after I dropped an estimated 75 cm barra beside the boat. 

Wal ended up with 3 small GTs.

I ended up with a small GT and a fingermark on a Cam Cupitt "Headland Lure".

And a photo of a little 1 metre croc, one of 7 seen altogether (biggest about 4 metres long).

Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:50pm
Very nice Fingermark Martin, are you coming down to the expo? and I thought you were staying down for it.

Cheers,
MD
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 8:47pm
Yes Dave, I'll be at the Expo, but I think I'll be getting to the site on the Friday as I have a few things to do on the way down.
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 4:15pm
You need some Seaweed Barra lures Martin, the locals have been catching plenty.
Have made a few deeper divers for this year also, see me in Collectors/Traders area, I have a table and I'll be there from Fri. lunchtime.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 7:29pm
I'll come and see you Tony.

Went out through the mouth of the Endevour River today. A 16 kph westerly was blowing which kept the swell down. Wal scored a little barracuda and I got a nice 70 cm (estimated) school mackerel on a Mark A Lure- no photos as the fish threw the hooks as it was being lightly subdued with the handle of the gaff. Then the winds swapped around to the south again and blew to in excess of 25 kph with a 1.5 metre choppy swell. Nothing more happened until Wal scored a little GT as we were back inside the river's mouth.

Obviously the fishies don't like that stiff southerly as much as me.
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Yes Dave, I'll be at the Expo, but I think I'll be getting to the site on the Friday as I have a few things to do on the way down.

Good to catch upThumbs Up
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
Wal and I walked the bank on a small local river today. Wal had a sizeable barra go for his lure as he was lifting it out of the water. This is a narrow and overgrown river so we didn't have too many fishing options. It also has quite a few rock bars in it's length and a spot where you can - very carefully- "drop in" a small tinnie. We have plans on camping overnight with Wal's "Croc Lolly" in the water.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
Wal and I went back to that same river. Result - Wal with 2 little GTs and a little cod spot cod. 

While not much, we are getting to learn this river.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:43pm
A sneaky photo Wal took of me. My phone camera must be broken - it's supposed to take photos of ME with fish.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 7:35pm
Back at the same river today. Wal is doing me over like a dinner. Wal - one small mangrove jack (that may have been legal but still went back) and a nice tarpon.

ME???? ...... well lets not talk about thatEmbarrassedOuchEmbarrassed
        Wal's tarpon

Martin-

scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 7:56pm
those tarpon sure go hard mate good fun to catch , you turn next I guess martin cheers ed
Ed.McC
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 9:58am
in those first pictures i though wal had died his hair blondeLOL.Martin it seems to me Wal is the master and you are grasshopperWinkLOL
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
[QUOTE=puglee62]in those first pictures i though wal had died his hair blondeLOL.Martin it seems to me Wal is the master and you are grasshopperWinkLOL[/QUOT

Yes Chris, I was "GRASSHOPPER" again todayCryCryCryLOL
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:17pm
Well Wal and I went out again today. 8 hours of walking another "secret" river.

I took an early lead of an archer fish then a barra. But was soon overtaken by Wal. End of the day saw me with 3 undersized barra, an archer fish and the smallest spangled perch ever caught on a lure. I also dropped another 5 barra, 4 I am certain were legal size.
Wal scored undersized 6 barra, 2 archer fish, 3 catfish and dropped another 2 barra that seemed to be legal size.

Wal was worried that he was going to walk home.LOL

Most of my fish were caught on a Fugly "Martin's Minnow". I caught a barra on a Mark A Lure, just waiting for Wal to send me the photo.
My archer fish-

my barra on the Fugly

the world's smallest lure caught spangled perchEmbarrassed

Wal in a tree to get a cast in

two of Wal's barra

And a cute little 1 metre freshwater crocodile that liked his photo being taken (less then 2 metres from me)

Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 6:28pm
well done MartinThumbs Up.some nice healthy Barra there.That spangley is a new one on the Martins too
that's no how ye make porridge!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:52pm
Martin some of the lures are close to the same size as the fish, is a territorial situation, a nip on the tail telling the visitor to move on.

it is not possible that they could swallow the size of the lure that they are attacking.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:26am
Yes some of those are a territorial response. But I don’t know about that little spangled perch though, they are a very aggressive fish. Just as well they don’t grow to five kilos or more, you would be there too scared to enter the water
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:36pm
Went fishing all over the place today with Wal. Wal scored 2 little GTs near Marton.

We then tried up the fresh water. Now, I was given a folding rod / reel unit by Da-jew-man to catch a barra on and I was using this all day. It casts surprisingly well. A great feature is that when you collapse the telescopic rod then fold the handle and the rod tube over itself, it makes for a very small package that is easily manouvered through the thick scrub we have to deal with. The down side is the lack of drag - at about 1 kilos of drag.

We also came across a half eaten kangaroo stored away in a little off shoot of the river. Going by the bite taken out of the chest,  we figured this was the larder of an 8 to 9 foot (2.4 to 2.8 metre) croc.

Now using one of Mark Andrews (Mark A Lures) little herrings, I scored a 30 cm jungle perch.

Wal then scored a 26 cm jungle perch on one of his wedgetails

Wal fishing in a tight spot

I then scored another jungle perch that went 23 cm long on a Kuttafurra wake bait mouse

Now both of my fish pulled drag, I had to pump and wind them in. Imagine the fun I'll have when I finally hook that barra on it.
Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:50pm
Bloody ace!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:17am
YOU blokes have too much fun up there martin wals lookin fastcrocs wont get himClapClapClapLOLLOLregards bob
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:51am
It looks like you have got a gun in your mouth MartinLOLLove the jungle perch Thumbs UpSomewhere I have seen those rodsErmm

cheers,
Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:08pm
Well done Martin, good session 👍
Cheers Steve R!!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:20pm
Cheers everybody.

Yes B.O.B. , Wal is very quick and nimble on his feet ..... and very wary.

Here is a photo of that rod packed up.

Today's session was a bit of an exploring trip further up this river then we had been before.
Wal scored a little GT and a small barra, and snagged ONE lure.

I got nothing and lost TWO lures. Usually Wal loses more lures then meOuch
Wal's GT. This bloke exploded out of the water and we both initially thought it was a legal barra

Wal's barra went about 40 cm long

The first rock bar that we found that we can cross the river at low tide. Upstream from here seems very promising.

Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 5:37am
looks like a very fishy bit of water martinBig smileBig smile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 8:39am
yep, those rocks get covered by water on the highest tides. We should be getting jungle perch from these rocks upwards.
Martin-

Da-Jew-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-Jew-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:11am
Hey Martin , Well done.
I would like to see a video of you catching a big Barra on the outfit would be great viewing. Dave
Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 50>
  Share Topic