LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Dry the lure Martin bog it up with similar colour Nail Varnish. Richard.

I bought a bottle of clear polish with glitter flecks in it. Bog for any lure, no color match required.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 9:04pm
Back on the reef today  with Shaun Charlton. Things were a little (a lot) slow. I had a big coral trout hit a Headland Lure stick bait just as I put the rod down to re-position the boat, the fish then followed the lure back to the boat. Two hours later Shaun scores a nice 49 cm coral trout. He later landed another a tad bit smaller. On the return trip he landed a nice metre + spanish mackerel.

During this time I threw around a Kuttafurra "Joe the Rat" surface lure and landed the giant trevally in the link below. I put that lure aside and put on a Kuttafurra mouse paddler and watched 2 giant trevally fight over it with the winner busting me off after a 10 metre run. Apart from hooking a shark on an Illusion Lure 12 cm Wedgetail that bit threw m,y trace.

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1662718427191156/1662684710527861/?type=3&theater

Shaun's 2 coral trout and his spanish mackerel

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
ebbnflow View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebbnflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:57am
onya martin, you still need a hair-cut..........mick
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 2:21pm
thats got to be a first for Aarons big Joe rat he's going to be chuffed.that Mackerel looks tasty ,nice work guys Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by ebbnflow ebbnflow wrote:

onya martin, you still need a hair-cut..........mick

Come up here and say that Mick .... I dare yaWinkLOLLOLLOL
Martin-

ebbnflow View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebbnflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:12am
if it was possible.........in a flash martin, in a flash........mick
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 5:57pm
only if you take me with you mick !! Big smileBig smile
cheers
bazz

a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:03pm
I took my nephew Andrew and his wife Aimmie out to the reef today. Aimmie got a huge 75 cm school mackerel on a Tilden Barra lure on the troll out. We spot locked a spot and put down baits - yes I sometimes do you bait. I scored a nice 110 cm Spanish mackerel. We all scored various small fish including undersized coral trout. On the troll back, just as we started I had me pink Headland Lure I bless scream off but the fight ended with a bust off. A very similar fight to the reef shark encounter on my previous trip. Nothing more on the troll back, a very quiet day. Sorry no photos as all the fish were rapidly released or as in the mackerel quickly put on ice and U forgot to get a photo of them when we got back in.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 8:40pm
Went down to the wharf early this morning and the wind was way down and no chop. A quick check of  2 wind p[rediction sites said that the strongest the wind should get was going to be 22 kph. Hooked up the boat, collected Shaun and out we went. Less then an hour later the winds started to increase - and surpassed the 22 kph predicted wind strength. Our original plan was to  troll along the coast line and if nothing happened then to go out to Egret Reef. But now we should only have a bumpy troll in close. Shaun dropped a nice spotty beside the boat and landed a just legal spotty mackerel. I received a hit on one of Bryan Power 's lures taking a chunk out of the paint and leaving some great tooth marks - the hit didn't even register.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 9:34pm
Well back at Lakefield National Park again with Shaun. The first spot only produced an Archer fish for me so we went back to the same spot as last time. Shaun scored 4 Archers and an undersized barra. Still trying to educate him on posing for photos with fish. He didn't mind posing with a little freshwater crocodile he chased down.

My archer fish on a Ray Murphy jointed lure

One of Shaun's  Archer's that he got on a small Halco Lazer Pro that he didn't pose for.

Another one of Shaun's  Archer's that he got on one of Wal's small Wedgetails that he didn't pose for. While Shaun was fighting this one in, a decent sized barra of about 70 cm tried to eat it. The barra at this second spot would come up to the lures, short strike them, then not come back.

A few shots of Shaun and his croc

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
Out on the reef by myself  today, everybody else was too busy, Shaun especially- driving back to Manila NSWLOL.

I tried casting to the reef bommies but it was high tide. We have found that the reef works better at low tide. I then went trolling in the deeper water and ended up with a double hook up on Spanish mackerel. The fish on the Whiptail jew lure (made by Wade Garland south west of Toowoomba) dropped off but I landed the 105 cm fish on the Ray Murphy mackerel lure.

My camera does not take as good photos as my Iphone.

I later scored a stripey on the Whiptail but lost it to what would have been my biggest Spanish mackerel. I had a 130 cm + mackerel on it's side seemingly beaten after a 20 minute battle. As I pulled it in like a dead log closer to the boat to sink the gaff in, it gave one more surge and the line contacted the boat snapping instantly.
Here is the stripey-

Now a few days ago, I gave in to a whim that had me thinking for a few weeks. I bought a Mr Squeeky - a squeeky rubber chicken dog toy. Wal rigged it up for me and he came out to the reef. A shark checked it out then swam away, a big explosion as it  past a bommie failed to hook up. But eventually it was smashed over a bommie and the giant trevally headed for open water. It was eventually landed and went 103 cm. I couldn't stop laughingLOL

Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:38pm
Classic!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:46pm
The squeek has changed out of him nowLOL
Martin-

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:14am
Ripper  Thumbs Up
Craft View Drop Down
Craft Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:24am
Amazing what you can do with a rubber chicken
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 10:13am
who's twisted mind came up with that idea in the first placeConfused......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

who's twisted mind came up with that idea in the first placeConfused......mick

One guess MickBig smileBig smileBig smile
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:20pm
Back on the reef again today - well a troll out, a few quick flicks then a troll back. I didn't want to be too late today because I have special visitor coming tomorrow.

Well I scored a nice 124 cm spanish mackerel on .... wait for it .... Ray Murphy's mackerel lure of course. This thing is a great producer.  I was also trolling one of Richard Lee's mackerel lure. Previously trying to gain a more secure hook up rate when the macks were finicky, I replaced the rear treble with an assist hook. Guess I should have stayed with the treble.

On my way back I was hit big time on a Cam Cupitt Headland lure, shallow running mackerel lure. This fish dropped off (Cry) but it didn't fight like a mackerel and barely left a tooth mark. I believe it may have been a big northern bluefin tuna. From the flash I saw it was at least a metre long.

This Lee's lure has copped a few hits and has accounted for some good mackerel.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:23pm
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:05pm
A rubber chicken, you idiot...i love it
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

A rubber chicken, you idiot...i love it

Looks better than a goat🐐
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 12:03am
Someone must have a spare goat certainly worth  a try.

Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:12am
All the best to You and your special new guest Martin.
I am off to NZ Friday for 10 days and will try to keep a check on your progress.
The Journey is the Reward

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 3:19am
Out on the reef with Chris Sinclair (Fugly Lures) today. Chris got wiped out by a huge spanish mackerel (using an Eric Ward lure painted by Carl Grist), by a huge giant trevally using a popper made by Ollie Hardt (Stingray Lures), and by a 50 cm plus giant trevally on the fly rod. He finished the day with a nice spotty mackerel (Headland Lure), a huge 95 cm school mackerel (one of his Fugly Mic Mic lures), a 106 cm spanish mackerel (Ray Murphy lure) and a nice spangled emperor. I was smashed by a huge giant trevally that took my Cam Cupitt made Headland Lures popper, reefed by another using a different Headland Lures popper but the lure back, smashed but failed to hook up on another Headland Lures popper and another smash on a Roy Durre made C.R.A.F.T. murray cod surface lure called The Duck (?). I ended the day with a 60 cm and a 95 cm giant trevally and a nice coral trout. Chris also caught a few prettily coloured tomato cod.

Photos to come later,, Wednesday we are off to get Chris som jungle perch and sooty grunter.
Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 7:58am
Show us the duck!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

Show us the duck!

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:28pm
Some photos from yesterday. I have video footage of trevally hook ups, loses and landings. Will have to try to share those.
Eric Ward / Gristy painted lure

spanish mackerel on a Fugly Mic Mic

95 cm school mackerel

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 6:39am
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:26am
got to be on facebook to view.....mick
Craft View Drop Down
Craft Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:45am
You might have to send that one back for a re-furb 😁
Have to start making yours out of Ironbark!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Craft Craft wrote:

You might have to send that one back for a re-furb 😁
Have to start making yours out of Ironbark!

HA HA HA you might be rigth there Roy.

Sorry Mick but yes, you have to be on FB.  I don't have a You Tube account.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:41pm
Tuesday I took Chris Sinclair out chasing his first jungle perch and sooty grunter. Our trip was cut short as it looked like a grass fire had started and was close to my car. Ended up being quite a while away. Anyway Chris ended up with 3 sooties and a small jungle perch including this horse of a 44 cm sooty on the fly rod. I scored a little sooty and a 30cm jungle perch using a Wal Muffett frog lure.

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1678779868918345/1678770255585973/?type=3&theater

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:50pm
I took Chris Sinclair to Lakefield National Park yesterday. I scored 7 barra, one legal at 60 cm, and 5 archer fish (love these little fellas). Chris scored 4 barra, one about the same size as my biggest - 60 cm, and 3 archer fish. A fun day.

a little barra on a Fugly Martin's Minnow

A little barra on a Wal Muffett made Illusion Lure 75 mm Wedgetail deep diver, this lure was lost to what Chris described as a metre plus lure. I was cut off immediately by the gill spikes.

Chris's biggest barra on a Darren Ringlestein's (Steiny) DJR Lure

Same fish caught on the DJR Lure

Three barra caught on a Mark A Lure

An archer fish on a Mad Dog

An archer fish on a Martin's Minnow

A couple of FB links

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1679504488845883/1679471642182501/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1679504488845883/1679475418848790/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1679504488845883/1679487835514215/?type=3&theater

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 6:51am
all looks good, but ya still need a hair-cut......mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

all looks good, but ya still need a hair-cut......mick

LOLLOLLOL NAH
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>
  Share Topic