LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by HARTE HARTE wrote:

You are certainly getting your share of windy days Martin!
I hope that changes soon and you get a chance to get out for a decent fish in 
great conditions. Thumbs Up
Cheers Graham

Thanks Graham. We have some days next week with a predicted 50 kph with gusts up to 65 kph. In these sorts of winds we can't find a sheltered spot on the headlands as the winds swirl around them. Lakefield National Park is still closed, unless I go in from Laura which makes it twice as far then the dirt roads are still stuffed from the wet season.

Desperately thinking of fishing locations that I can get into or are not flooded.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 4:16pm
Yes, looks like the SE Trades have kicked-in, we're getting ours here now, dry is upon us.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:16pm
Well I have been trying (some say I'm very tryingWink). I was hit by a little barra of about 50 cm but no hook up a couple of nights ago.

Nobody is getting much while fishing , a few small trevally and the occasional barra while bait fishing. The 2 local guides only had 1 charter each in the past week so things are very dismal at the moment.

A flick around the wharf this afternoon for nothing. Then this kid (turns out to be a pro trout fisherman), using half a trevally as bait hooks up to something huge. 40 minutes later, and with aching arms and back he releases an estimated 200 kg groper which swam away wondering what the hell just happened.   Not what you would call lure fishing but interesting all the same

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:14pm
Before I go on about today's efforts. I'll explain (as explained to me by a friend that fished professionally around the Cape and then got his "guide" qualifications) why the winds are so unpredictable in Cooktown.
Cooktown is in the zone where a lot of the weather systems terminate usually the "highs"- that is stopped by another weather system from the north (often a low). This causes a conflict zone of the two differing systems - that is winds, think of it like a current line of air. Now while the meteorological models can predict the weather systems, they cannot, with much degree of accuracy, predict exactly where these two systems will meet but just the basic area - Cooktown is usually in "that area". Cairns just 200 kilometres further south may experience weeks of great calm days, where as we may only get one or two days of good weather. Most of our good days up here is when the systems are weak so it doesn't have that strong "current line of air".

I had been watching today's wind predictions for a few days. Yesterday was pretty good but the tides were in neap with very little rise and fall. So I was banking on today's winds to stay down low. The tides were still in neap but he fall between high tide early this morning to 9 am was 0.9 of a metre. The rise from 9 am to 1 pm was 0.1 of a metre. The plan was to get to the reef early to fish the bigger run of water then to burley up mackerel after low tide. Things were working out well until the winds blew up at 9:30 am instead of the predicted 1:30 pm. 

I scored the usual small pretty reef fish on all of the lures I used chasing coral trout. A 41 cm coral trout latched onto a small HJK Lure, released as too small for me. I drifted over some deeper bommies so I changed lures to a deep diver Creek Freak made by Darren Ringlestein (Steiny -DJR Lures) and was rewarded with a very plumb 60 cm coral trout . This lure was lost 2 minutes later by something to large for my 8 kilo braid. Back over shallow water and I changed to a 75 mm Illusion Lure Wedgetail. This lure got monstered and straight into the reef. On went that pink jointed Murphy Lures stickbait that was smashed on my last trip out. On the first cast I watched a trout of about 50 cm shoot out of a bommie by 8  metres, smack the lure off the surface, and before I could but any tension on the line, double back towards me and went under that same bommie that I was drifting over. Luckily I  got it back by applying steady pressure in the opposite direction the fish went in at.

By this time it was low tide and the wind was (as mentioned) coming up early. I opted not to burley up the mackerel and took a slow troll home. I picked up a nice 89 cm spanish mackerel to top things off. By the time I neared the harbour, things were starting to get uncomfortable, not unsafe but not nice.

the 41 cm trout on the HJK Lure

the 60 cm trout on the DJR (CONTRARY TO THE PHOTO, THE FISH WAS 60 CM, THE ANGLE OF THE PHOTO MAKES IT LOOK LARGER) bloody capsEmbarrassed

I forgot to mention that I also used a Mark A Lure - a baby herring, but the hooks were too small and I missed too many fish (my fault, I replaced the old hooks with smaller new ones). But one of the pretty fish I got today.
e of 

The little Illusion Lure Wedgetail that was lost a couple casts after I got this nice stripey

It was a 16 cm Wedgetail that nailed this 89 cm spanish mackerel

Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:01pm
Well done mate...champion!
cheers steiny
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:36am
Keep it up Marty, better dig out your raincoat again mate 😄
Keep up the good work mate 👍
Cheers Steve R !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:54am
you can bring my coral trout, mackerel , and stripie fillets with you when you come down for the expo ...mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

you can bring my coral trout, mackerel , and stripie fillets with you when you come down for the expo ...mick
                                                                                         Doesn’t look like I’ll get out again before the expo , going into withdrawals ATM
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:12pm

Well the wind is still blowing it's bum off and the forecast is still lousy for the next 10 days -  then we leave for the Lure Expo. So it  doesn't look good for a fish anytime soon.

River is dirty from Cyclone Anne, even though we didn't get much rain. No spot to hide from the wind off the rocks. I may be able to get a fish in at Palm Cove jetty when I go to Cairns tomorrow.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:04pm
Haven't fished at all in the last few days. Made a couple of trips to Cairns with the trailer and brought back a cubic metre of silky oak reclaimed from a demolished building and over of cubic metre of 15 year old seasoned red cedar. I'll have some of these timbers for sale when I go down to the expo.

Did a wharfy this morning in the rain and spoke to one f the regulars - nothing had happened in the last few days. Apart from Mike who hooked a 2.2 metre croc at the wharf on a soft plastic. Wal and I heard all about it when we went around for dinner this evening. Seems that that has been the highlight for the past week.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:11pm
Forgot to mention that according to Troy from The Lure Shop (used to work at Bransfords), the Bloomfield River is firing for mangrove jacks, finger mark and barra with lots of bait in the river. As this is only a very short river of about 9 kilometres from the waterfall to the mouth, it clears very quickly.

So if you are coming up this way before the wind slows down, head to Bloomfield. There's a nice little caravan park there, a little IGA Supermarket, a back filled wharf, a couple of gravel boat ramps and not much else.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic