LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

making do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flathead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making do
    Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:27pm
I've had to move for work which is problematic but marginally better than unemployment. Try to get home (Townsville) as often as I can, the family is staying for school etc. I have good estuary and impoundment fishing nearby so decided to get a boat to leave here to use when I can't get home.
It needed to be able to flexible but mainly for luring, cheap,reliable and ready to go. Very limited tools with me just the basics to sleep and work. Every cheap boat and trailer was ready for retirement, it seemed particularly the trailers.
I found a nice dart, full service history, cheap and quite unbelievably the trailer was brand new never been to the boat ramp. No Barra boat but me and my 1982 jigsaw were up for it so a compromise was made. Templates were made from old cardboard, welded in some braces and have just started on floors today. Lots of debate on boat floors but this will have sealed structural ply wrapped in marine carpets. Recessed battery, wiring and mount electric still to do. Between boat shop specials and gumtree should be complete all up for around $3500. Picked up a twice used min Kota for 100 bucks, it's a freshie but will mount it on the bow until it dies. Will post completed shots over the coming weekends. Lesson learned so far was despite very slight planning my favourite tackle box doesn't fit under the proposed hatch. Might go to trays for the boat. Hoping to show you can get on the water with all the gear without spending a million bucks.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:55pm
Nice general purpose boat, should be able to get out on a few close reefs if the motor is trustworthy.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:34pm
Looking forward to seeing more photos flathead. I think you have more fun in cheaper set ups than flash rigs sometimes.
All my braids gone!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:07pm
always nice to see a new project kick off and how it evolves .keep up the pics Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:24am
Now all it needs is some scales stuck to the floor!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 7:37am
seal the floor with EVERDURE, four or five wet coats all over(don't let it dry between coats). i've left my carpet loose so it can be taken out and hosed off properly. paint the floor with whatever, but add a good amount of deck-grip, this will stop the carpet from moving. look back through the" messing around in boats" post, you may get a few good ideas to help.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:43pm
I know it's been a while gav, but how did it turn out......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Flathead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flathead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:46pm
I’ve just been relocated to Bowen. I’ve dragged it along. May be the longest 12 foot tinnie project ever. Picked up a remote Haswing electric for cheap. Did a bit last weekend but a bit embarrassed now so will try and finish it off. I’ll update some pics in a couple of weeks. I’m on the road pretty much until then. I think it’s going to be a cracker of a tub for the price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic