LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

making my lure swim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making my lure swim
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:05pm
Hey fella's new to lure lovers have made lots of spinner baits and surface lures before but never deep divers and now that I live 300m from the Murray river I thought I might try and make all of my lures my self have got a shape and am happy with it but am having trouble getting it to swim. at the moment it just doing a loop to loop I'm not sure if the bib I angle to much or not big enough or just simply the lure does not have eough weight over the front of it
 any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers scott
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:32pm
Hi Scott, fun & games hey? Wink For a start, you'll need to hang some hooks on it to get a centre of gravity. Then I would cut another bib slot at a straighter angle! (Virtually in line with the grain of your timber. Then drill another set of holes in front of the two you have already. Try different positions until you find a spot that works for you. There are so many combinations that can alter the lures depth, action, wobble, etc. That's what making lures is all about, a lot of frustration but very rewarding when it all comes together and it wiggles nice. Even better when you catch a fish on it!! Thumbs Up
Keep trying and keep us informed on your progress. The lure shape is OK for a starter... Smile
Fysshe
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:48pm
cheers fysshe am trying some different stuff at the moment and ill let you know how I go
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:59pm
I'd try moving the tow point further away from the nose......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
cheers thanks mate just moved it forward it swam reasonable but still swam to the left
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
Getting there! Make sure everything is in line, you may have to tweak the towpoint a little to the right.
Fysshe
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:08pm
As fyshee and blinky said.

if you drill your hole in centre of bib then next hole forward of that you will be right...if it swims too left bend towpoint sideways to right bit by bit till it corrects...vice versa if swimming to right bend to left till it corrects.

id also cut your bib slot deeper to make it stronger.
and for that shape lure an easy wa to get close to correct bib angle to work almost foolproof is to cut your bib slot on the same angle as the top of the lure....like a continuation of that angle as it comes over and off the top of the head if that makes sense....that lure would lend itself to a bib placement with minimal downward angle at all.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:39pm
Thanks mate yeah just mucking around with the bib now   trying different spots just see how it goes a little perseverance i guess
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:37pm
Keep at it mate - it will all come together. Will be tracking your progress.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
Hi Scott

Good on you for having a go. Thumbs Up

I'm not sure that the first lure is going to do anything, other than trying to somersault.  Would be worth trying a smaller bib and towing from the front of the lure (twisted eyelet glued into the wood.  Tuning is easy with nose towed lures.  If you want more action, bend the eyelet toward the bib. Less action, end away from the bib. If the lure leans to the left, bend the eyelet slightly to the left (and opposite for right lean)

The second lure is getting closer to a reasonable bib angle. I would have it angled down slightly.  If you are using an omega clip, as a tow point, you can bend the underside legs to get the lure to run straight.

Try to read as much as you can from this site.  There is a fair bit of technical stuff to make the lure work properly.  

http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/questions-and-tips-re-carving-your-own-fishing-lures_forum108.html

http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/lure-making-articles_forum276.html

The article that I wrote a few year's ago will give you some of the basics.  http://fishingmonthly.com.au/files/2011LureMakingFeature.pdf

To save you a lot of heart ache, test your lures before you glue them.  I know a bloke in Tenterfield, who I worked with, made about 130 lures. Glued and painted them ready to fish and only about 4-5 actually swum.  Push the bib in, fit the eyelets and drag them through some water.  It's what I do with every new lure that I design.

Cheers & good luck

Travers
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:29pm
Travers thanks heaps mate yeah i never made that mistake i have started with one and im getting the first one right before i make a few of the im not making to sell im making for my own use just to chase big cod big yella and hope a massive reddy i have pondered on a nose pull for these lure i might make up a couple more and try a nose pull but i also have a bigger version i trying as well
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
You probably need to start with one of my Kits, but I don't have any lures made to go with the Kits.  The best that I can do is a Kit without the finished lure but with extra blanks and bibs included.

When you get your lure working, stay away from using pine. It will end up cracking and splitting.  There should be plenty of old buildings with Australian Red Cedar down your way.

Beer

Travers
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:52pm
Yeah there just abit of scrap i had sitting about in the shed i have sum red gum oregon and iron bark and a little bit of tassie oak the only reason i decided to go with this shape is something different i jave fished for a long time and i just want to make my own different i will put some pics up in the following days of spinnerbaits and surface lure i make
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:22pm
Looking good Scott.

Much better than my first attempt at a lure shape. I agree with you, it's nice to make your own shapes.

Keep experimenting with shapes, bibs and bib angles. One day it will just come together and you'll be well on your way.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by scott89 scott89 wrote:

Yeah there just abit of scrap i had sitting about in the shed i have sum red gum oregon and iron bark and a little bit of tassie oak the only reason i decided to go with this shape is something different i jave fished for a long time and i just want to make my own different i will put some pics up in the following days of spinnerbaits and surface lure i make

Hi Scott

I wasn't trying to flog you a Kit, but it's essential to get the basics right.  Even if you 'jag' a shape that works, reproducing it will be frustrating if you don't understand the basics of perpendicular bib slot cut, bib symmetry and centering, tow point location etc.

We all want an individual style/shape in our lures but, at the end of the day, they're useless if the fish don't like them.

Plenty of help on LL's, so just ask when you run into any problems.

Good luck with it.

Travers 
scott89 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:01pm
hi travers yeah I realise you were not just trying to just flog a lure off I believe I should cut the slot before I shape makes it a lot easier to get the bid true all round and the different of making surface to deep divers is so ridiculous but I have got the lure swimming and actually got a bum on a retrieve with nothing glued in so see how I go
 cheers scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic