LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Displaying your Lure collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Polycarb Stands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Polycarb Stands
    Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:11pm
I have been mucking around, experimenting with different ways to make stands. Some are working out ok! The aim is to give elevation and allow good viewing of the lures.

It was a bit of trial and error, after looking at various photos on here of how other stands are made. Mine are pretty much the same, but I have experimented with putting bib slots in on some of them. This is to hold the lures on various angles.

I also made one that could hold the Darts on two angles.

Pretty happy with the results, they just need a bit of refining. But the material is very cheap and it doesn't take long once you get the measurements right. I have made a template now for one size.

Cheers,

Matt
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:18pm
Cool stands Matt, can I borrow the stand with the Aussies as an example to make my own?Big smile
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:28pm
They look good Matt I have plenty of boxes that they will fit in
Cheers Graeme
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:37pm
Looks great Matt,
Presents the lure well
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:40pm
Matt, great stands and a beautiful display .... love to see them with Deceptions on them LOL Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 8:05pm
Matt, do I sense another Cabinet mate :-)
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 9:09pm
Cheers Guys, pretty happy with how cheap and easy they are to make - now that I have a bandsaw they are easy! Hey Martin, You can borrow the stand, not the Aussies!!

Rob, No deceptions here, they are known as 'swappers' to me, lol!

Tony, yep you picked it, and you would know the source too. The lures were getting a little cramped for space in the other cabinets.... I think I may have a problem?

Cheers,

Matt
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 9:48pm
The only problem Matt, is that a collector never has enough $$$$$ for all the treasures he wantsLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 10:36pm
I've been thinking the same thing.
I've got my bro in law getting my some acrylic offcuts from work.
Fingers crossed I get some good bits.
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 11:32pm
True Martin! We always want more.

Ducks, the material is polycarbonate not acrylic. It bends easily without breaking. Acrylic needs to be heated to bend. Otherwise it just snaps. The polycarb would be costing about $3 to $5 per stand. I haven't worked it out exactly. But its pretty cheap.

SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 5:15am
Nice job on your stands Matt..Thumbs Up

Mick!!!
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 7:34am
Good looking stands Matt
the fish aren't art critics
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 9:10am
They look the business
great job
jb
aster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 10:17am
Fabulous display Matt. I like the fact every lure can easily be seen and you can keep them in a group by size or maker.
Chris
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:42pm
Cheers Matt - I might have to get myself a full sheet of polcarb if the scrap acrylic doesn't work out.
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 1:22pm
Hi Matt
Looks good 😄 how thick is the polycarbonate you're using?
Cheers Steve
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 2:26pm
Thanks guys! Steve I started off with 2mm. But started running low, so tried 1.5mm and it worked ok too. But I think 2mm is best, I am going to get some more next week.

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 2:52pm
matt,matt,matt , the stands look smick, but do you have to put second rate lures on them!!!!! .......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:31am
Haha Mick! I just started off on stands for the second rate lures. Now that I am getting the hang of it, I will make some stands for the decent lures.

Matt
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 11:03pm
look good matt and a very nice display of lures.Where are you getting the polycarbonate from.
Cheers Chris
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 10:05am
Nice work Matt, polycarb seems to be the ideal material in that it supports your lures but being so clear does not detract or over power the individual lure colours.
And best of all it's simple /easy to work, well done.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 10:39am
Top effort Matt,

I should consider doing something like that for my surface lure progress, still have the original prototype design from 18 months ago and one from each stage as the lure progressed.

Very interested to find where you are getting your poly carb from.

Well Done

Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:55am
Thanks guys!

I get the polycarb from Absolute Acrylic,

4/284 Musgrave Road, Coopers Plains

07 3161 5184, or 0418 814 011

He also has online store - acrylics online, where all the prices are shown.

I am going to try and get there this week, for some more 2mm, and might even try some 3mm. 1.5mm is definitely too small I think.

Cheers,

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic