LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Keith Baker
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MAMBRI COLLECTION - PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAMBRI COLLECTION - PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORD
    Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:16am
I became an instant Keith Baker fan the first time that I laid eyes on a couple of his Kray Bob lures. Little did I know back then that I had only just scratched the surface of a treasure trove of imaginative designs and quality finishes. Keith's lures have a "style" about them that seems to lift my pulse rate and this appreciation has only grown stronger with each new discovery.

This photographic record is my way of sharing some of Keith's inspired and diverse creations in the hope that others will also gain a greater insight and appreciation of this talented craftsman, who in my opinion was years ahead of his time.

Historically, the majority of the lures pictured here date from pre 1993 and represent a good cross section of Keith's work up until then.

Please enjoy,
Col

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:39am
Very impressive, ColThumbs Up. Thanks for showing.

Tony.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:58am
Great collection
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 12:39pm
Amazing collection col, in my eyes they are the best lures ever made
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 12:46pm
Truly remarkable thanks for sharing
Cheers Graeme
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:03pm
Thankyou for posting Col.
You have amassed possibly one of the best collections of Keith's work known.It is a credit to you and your dedication to source out and aquire such beautiful creations.
Although I only collect the Krays I certainly love all the models Keith made and appreciate their uniqueness and the diverse range out there.
The Journey is the Reward

RossPerth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossPerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:10pm
Wow wow wow wow wow
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:12pm
Outstanding  collection, and nicely photographed as well.

Thanks for showing

Regards John
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 4:34pm
Awesome mate
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
Stunning collection Col. One of the best I've ever seen , and your photos are excellent.
Thanks for showing :)
Barney.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 6:56pm
Wonderful showing of the collection Col.Clap
What is the name of the MinMin type shape LH side of pic#4?? not one I have seen before.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Amazing collection Col, thank you for sharing the pics Clap
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:45pm
Ohhhhh Wow, fantastic collection displayed there Col. Excellent quality pics show them all off to the finest degreeClapClapClap. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:01pm
Great collection and something to be very proud of.Probably the best collection of keiths lures i have ever seen.
THE CODFATHER
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:19pm
WOW !!!!!!, some nice lures there Col--thanks for posting.
Nice photos too.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
justlooking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:28pm
Great collection Col,
Truly beautiful lures !
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 10:30pm
Very impressive and I only have two but proudly display them.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 4:12am
I'm delighted that Keith's lures have been so well received. For someone who treasures each individual one it is rewarding to know that others also share the passion and appreciation. A sincere thank you for all the great comments and encouragement.

Brad, the lure that you referred to is simply Keith's version of a Downunder Min Min. I have seen these in two sizes and extremely limited numbers. I also note that these were never done for any commercial gain.
Keith also tried his hand at several other lure designs and to the best of my knowledge these included: Downunder Boomerang, Devon Minnow, Floppy, Deception Shrimp, Stump Jumper, Mann's +20, Newell Kadiatcha, Wide Bodied Merlin, Nils Master Invincible/Spearhead and a Flatfish. One of Keith's "Invincibles" can be seen in photo number 7.

Regards and thanks again for the positive feedback,
Col
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 7:33am
Col getting off track a little bit can you give us some pointers as to the process you used to photograph them.
Ie.Camera,settings and lighting area.

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:53am

Sensational collection and quality of photography Col! Amazing!

I would love to know model names, also what do you use to clean/polish your lures, as they all look mint?

Thank you for sharing with everyone,

Matt
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 1:39pm
Barry, I used a very "basic" set up as will be seen in the accompanying photo.
The camera is a Canon SLR mounted on a tripod to eliminate as much camera shake as possible.
The lures were set out on a piece of white cardboard with another piece of white cardboard propped up at the back to act as a reflector and provide more even lighting.
The camera was set on Aperture Priority(AE) mode with an f-stop of 16 and ISO of 200.
The in-camera flash was used for the lighting.

Matt, I haven't used any cleaner or polish on the lures as 99% of them are in fact in mint condition. They are a credit to their previous owners/custodians.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the model names. I also would love to know these.

Regards,
Col
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 2:36pm
Thanks Col that will help me with my crappy shots as well as possibly help many of our Members.

DocYarrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocYarrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 1:21pm
Simply awesome works of art!
Lovely collection
Cheers,

Troy
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:07am
Recently, I was fortunate enough to pick up another version of Keith's Kray-Bob lures for my collection. His "standard" style of Yabby lure had many variations, but all were fitted with a pair of articulated nippers.
In the later years of his production he also carved some "one-piece" Yabby lures with the nippers being a joined extension of the lure body.

For the record I now add a couple of photos to illustrate these two distinct versions.

Further, the next two photos illustrate some rare examples of Keith's lures that have painted eyes. Rumour has it that Keith was not satisfied with his ability to paint the eyes on his lures. Supposedly, it did not reach his exacting standards and so he resorted to the use of either beads or doll/toy eyes in the majority of cases.

Regards,
Col

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:45am
Fantastic collection of Keith bakers work Col. I also love your photography skills.

Which Canon camera do you have? 5D, 7D?
cheers steiny
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 12:13pm
Amazing collection, I can see your passion in the detail you lay the lures for the pictures. 

Would love to see your Deep Rivers photographed in a similar way.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 4:39pm
Thankyou Col for more pics of Keith's work.The 1pc. Nipper model is one I have not come across as yet.
Always a pleasure to see any of his work and congratulations on building your collection.

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:51pm
That creation far right bottom photo is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Absolutely love the eyes on it - did it have a name? Stunning.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:09pm
stunning
love the squids
cheers Steve r
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:12pm
Thanks all for your encouraging comments.

Darren(Steiny), the camera that I use is a Canon 7D.

Danny, you are not alone in admiring that particular lure. Unfortunately, I don't know what model name Keith used for it but I can tell you that it has been marketed by others in various forms using names such as "Millenium Bug" and "Hornet".

Regards,
Col
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:28pm
All of those Bakers are beyond description by me, 1st class designs.
But I tell you what, Alan Slomans lures do the originals proud to, he is a bloody fine lure maker, up there with the best of them.
Geez there are is some talent in Australian lure makers!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:26pm
For some years now I have been on the lookout for a "special" cabinet in which to house my Keith Baker lures which I considered would do them justice. My thoughts ranged between display case types of cabinets to the more traditional collector cabinet types, but I just could not settle on a precise idea that I felt fully comfortable with.

Then all my wishes were answered earlier this week when I was invited by a local woodworker(Lloyd Tubb) to view his most recent project before it was shipped off to the gallery through which he usually sells his work. The instant I sighted the cabinet I knew that my search was over. It is exquisitely crafted from Australian timbers with the main frame being Blackwood. The cabinet top and drawer fronts are fitted with Red Silky Oak inlays. Each drawer has sides and back made from Coachwood while their bases are Red Cedar. This is all finished off with turned Rosewood drawer knobs.

What a fabulous Christmas present for me and, as their custodian, I now feel that I have done Keith's lures proud,
Col

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:11pm
Unreal Col. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 4:57pm
Wow that does look really nice.
Dan
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 6:51pm
sensational cabinet Col.
the bakers will be at rest in it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic