Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Cuthroat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Upton Cut-Throat Lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Upton Cut-Throat Lure
    Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
Here's a stunning Mark Upton Cut-Throat Lure that Vic McCristal kindly parted with. Vic mentions Marks lures in his article entitled "Cut-Throats , Boomerangs and Scorpions" in Modern Fishing Sept. 1988.

A very nicely made lure.

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 1:29pm
Hi Tony,
Thought I'd show off a couple of Mark Upton Lures as well. Beautifully made and finished.
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 2:20pm
Tony is there more than one Mark upton ?

I remember a mark upton who used to work in a tackle store down the gold coast.

Cheers Tony
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 2:35pm
That's the one and the same. An absolute gentleman and has probably forgotten more about fishing than I'll ever know. A real wealth of knowledge when it comes to lure history and obviously not too shabby at making them either.
Andy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

That's the one and the same. An absolute gentleman and has probably forgotten more about fishing than I'll ever know. A real wealth of knowledge when it comes to lure history and obviously not too shabby at making them either.
Andy

Thanks Andy,

Yes he is a nice person, took him fishing a few times chasing Bass but nothing came close to the Big ones he used to get in the Clarence.

One year I took Mark to Moogera Dam and caught him some huge fat Bass off deep schools, something he had never done. The smile on his dile says it all.

Cheers Tony
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 4:02pm
Ahh. Now I know who this is. I think you and I may have even had one or two jack trips together on the Nerang River.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:08pm

Ahh. Now I know who this is. I think you and I may have even had one or two jack trips together on the Nerang River.

Andy,

were you good mates with Young Darren who drove the old red 4x4 car ?

Does mark still live on the Coast ? Would love to take him bass fishing again in the lake my club stocks.
He enjoyed it so much !
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:45pm
Very nice lures Andy - thanks for posting them up Thumbs Up

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Mark, although I sure do love his lures!

Cheers, Tony

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:37pm
I remember his stories about huge Bass, but the lures were mega size......nothing like you see on the shelf made for Bass.

I spose the bigger the lure the bigger the Bass Smile
bigi View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:00pm
wow, nice lures, how does he get the mottled silver to the sides of the belly, and in the 1st pic, he has trimmed the underside of the bib beautifully.
You guys are obviously on the GC, tell me, how are the bass out at hinz dam.
I used to fish it weekly, 15 years back, thats where my love for lures developed. I would love to hear about it now. It was just sensational casting and throwing lures out of my canoe, i use to launch out the back of the dam off a dirt track that was up past the back of a small golf course. Forget the name of it know 
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:24pm
Yeah Darren and I are still good mates and still manage to fish together as much as we can. Mark is still here too, i'm trying to get a break in the weather to get him out chasing some snapper on plastics.
He has told me stories about those big bass you mentioned, massive river fish. I'll let him know you said hi.
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:31pm
Hi Bigi,
I think the process involved a couple of layers. Thick white base coat, then clear coat with glitter on the sides, then allow to dry and then sand off any excess. paint top and bottom, then recoat the whole lure with clear to give the high gloss. They are works of art, and I know that is a basic explanation. The best bit is they are deadly in the water.
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:39pm
Sorry Bigi,
Forgot to say the fishing in Hinze is still very good. A lot of people fish it more regularly than I do, but it can really turn on some great fishing. They are a lot bigger than 15 years ago!!
bigi View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:19pm

Sorry Bigi,
Forgot to say the fishing in Hinze is still very good. A lot of people fish it more regularly than I do, but it can really turn on some great fishing. They are a lot bigger than 15 years ago!!
wow, thanks for the update, those bass are an awsome sport fish, fond memories
bigi View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:20pm

Hi Bigi,
I think the process involved a couple of layers. Thick white base coat, then clear coat with glitter on the sides, then allow to dry and then sand off any excess. paint top and bottom, then recoat the whole lure with clear to give the high gloss. They are works of art, and I know that is a basic explanation. The best bit is they are deadly in the water.
thanks Andy, i figured it was glitter glued on then coated, has anyone tried applying the glitter to the final coats 
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:33pm
Hi Bigi, Ive put glitter on some of my novelty lures . The first ones I did i sprayed a coat of clear on them and rolled the lure in the glitter and then put three coats of clear over the top. I made some 4inch tooleys just recently and I did the same thing with those but this time instead of rolling the lure in it I puffed the glitter on with an eye dropper and it went on a treat. I'm thinking off bringing a glitter range out in the near future...WinkWinkWink..Sorry for getting off track Guys...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:03pm

Andy, here is a pic of Mark , the Cut throat maker i was telling you I had.

His first experience at Deep Water Bass fishing at Moogerah Dam

I knew i had the pic and found it while looking for another one. 

Cheers Tony 

amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:24pm

Nice work Mr. P'

amdoubleu
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:38pm
Thank you Tony, it's very nice to have a smiling face to put to Mark's name Thumbs Up

That's some very nice Bass too! Clap
Cheers, Tony

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:53pm
Your welcome guys, he is a true gentlemen and i am  privileged to have spent many hours on the water with him.  regardless if we were catching or gas bagging Smile
mearzie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mearzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:08pm
great lures made by a great bloke nice bass there too well done
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic