Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Members old pics with stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members old pics with stories
    Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:29pm
After gathering a shipload of old retro gear and having a go at catching fish on them, I went through my stash of old photos to check on what I used to have. I found some early (and embarrassing) pictures. I'll start off the thread and hope others will follow suit.
This was our first fishing outfit when I worked in Newcastle, 1970. Mates flat at Raymond Terrace. Car was an old Hillman bought for $40 and resprayed with enamel. I got the De Haviland Cub and 5hp Evinrude for $155.
Bass were our prime target and this stringer of Bass came from Dingo Creek up near Taree.
Fysshe
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:32pm
Great stuff Ian.Were they not called Perch when you were a boy?
The Journey is the Reward

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:33pm
For the bluewater adventures, my mate Vince would borrow his dads ski boat, a Carribean Cobra with 100 horses on the back. A bit of a beast that was raced at Gosford but we got some nice Snapper of Laurieton.
Fysshe
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:34pm
Love the old pics...well done Ian!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:35pm
Barry, up the north coast, they called them Perch. We were more sophisticated down there in the big smoke and read a lot more and called them Bass!! Wink
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:47pm
We used early Daiwa closed face reels and some Daiwa lures we bought from the BP servo in the Terrace. Lures were 79c I think. Reels would be lucky to last a season and I saved my pennies and Got an ABU 160 from my boss; it already had two owners (I still have that reel)
When I was posted to QLD, our first priority was to fish the Noosa Everglades after reading stories by Martin Bowerman. These pics are from that first trip in Feb '73. Trev Saunders (Trevron) and his mate were at Harrys hut when we arrived but the river was flooding from torrential rain but we stayed on and had a fantastic trip. The rain finally stopped and we were able to get out (albeit after restoring one of the old log bridges)
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:53pm
Military exercise "Kangaroo 1" was our first trip away with the new F111's and when time allowed, we hired Mini Mokes and headed off into the wilderness in search of Barramundi.
 These shots are from Bynoe Harbour, Barra on the good old 5" Nilsie and I got the Blue Salmon at night on a Heddon Crazy Crawler.
I had upgraded my tackle to an Abumatic 170 with15lb line.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:57pm
Fysshe
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 6:35am
Wonderful pics and captions Ian.Thanks for posting.
The Journey is the Reward

handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:39am
I love the photos and stories. Keep it coming.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:50am
yep I second that,interesting stuff Ian
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:46am
  It seems that you're not bored yet!! LOL I have thousands of photos... ShockedShocked Late '73 I upgraded to from the old Instamatic to 35mm film with a nice Yaschica for stills and a Zenit SLR for slides. I had aspirations as a fishing writer at the time Embarrassed.
 Noosa River was our favourite spot in the summer months and we'd camp on the river bank or at the back of "Harrys Hut" if it looked like rain. I got one of the first Tamco polyethylene canoes to arrive in QLD and fitted a 2hp Yamaha on it. With the extra propulsion, we could access right up into the upper reaches and, as the saying goes, the more remote, the better the fishing!! StarStar
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:05am
The highest up we went was right  to the junction of Cooloolah Creek. The fishing was great up there  but too far to travel back at dark so we'd pack the sleeping bags and camp on the bank after some top sessions after dark. Heddon tiny torpedos the best lure by far!! Just a couple of twitches and leave it sit there.. The surface strikes were heart-stopping!! Shocked
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:32am
I took my boss from Newcastle up there for a fish during Easter. The place was packed for the holidays but we found a quiet spot down at the Glades where he showed me his expertise with a fixed spool baitcaster!! An old ABU 1650 with 4lb line. He got this nice Bass on a black Hellbender.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:38am
Travelling downstream from the Everglades will bring you to the brackish Lake Cootharabah. Lots of fish species to be caught there. Wading the shallows got us a couple of nice lizards.
Fysshe
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:39am
Very Cool to see and read Ian please keep'em coming
Cheers Rick

I'm unsure about the last fishing outfit , but OMO was a great product back then for stains
Fish Choking Lures :)
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
Ian, you are bring some great memories back with those shots from the 'glades. I used to get up there a couple of times a year (BK). Probably my favourite Bass fishing area, even if the fish are small compared to the dam pigs, the scenery makes up for it.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:29am
Late '73 one of our aircraft did an "Around the world" tour. Although I missed the chance, I gave my mate $100 to get some fishing gear when they got to the USAF base in Texas. He got me a Shakespeare Wondertroll electric motor, President baitcaster with matching rod and over 200 soft plastic lures. $100 won't get you much nowadays. Confused
Armed with all this firepower, I now wanted to chase bigger and better fish. Trips out west were always an adventure and the Condamine was pretty close to us for a weekend away. Strap the canoe on the roof and off we'd go...
Cruise a couple of miles upstream from the areas hard hit by the "setliners" and good water was available. One afternoon, casting at a likely looking snagpile, I got two keeper Cod in two casts on one of my early "peanut" lures. I gave that lure to my mate and he got a smaller one very next cast. Clap
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:55am
Canoe trips over the Easter weekend were great fun when a few mates get together for fishing and yarning around the fire at night with a flagon of non-descript "red". This trip was in '74 I think. I drew the short straw when my offsider couldn't make it so I had to paddle the 4 days by myself , plus I had to carry all the camping gear in the front of my craft!! Ouch
We did get a couple of fish as well to supplement our diet of Irish Stew jaffles.. LOL
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 12:01pm
My mad mate Gary found an old galvanised iron "canoe" on the river bank, sealed up the holes with mud and tried to paddle it down the river!! Needless to say, he didn't get too far.... Ouch Well you do get bored??? Loading up the canoes with paddy melons and bombing the other crew was always on the cards... LOL
Fysshe
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 1:48pm

Good times Ian, don't ya love the parabolic curve in those old glass rods LOL

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 2:01pm
Loved that rod Brad, one of the first with glass to glass ferrules. The reel seat broke while fighting a big GT down the Gold Coast canals. It and my Bantam Mag are now on the bottom of Lake Intrepid!! Cry
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 2:36pm
The canoe gave us the access, stealth and manoeuvrability that todays Yak owners can enjoy. The Coomera river on the Gold Coast, especially the upper reaches below the weir, was our "special" place and we spent many a long day tossing lures around the gravel beds and rocky banks.
Jacks were our prime target but I think they won more bouts than we did!! Ouch Trevally (Giants and Bigeye) were plentiful but Bream were the most prolific and my best lure was a red glitter Shakespeare Lil 'S' (I bought them in bulk) I made up a light spin stick from a Conolon blank, teamed it with a Shakespeare 2400 and 3lb line. Great to use with the "new" Mr Twister lures I got from the US. Many Flathead and some nice Whiting fell to this combo.  Tongue
Fysshe
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 3:10pm
Great thread.
Reminds me of reading my dad's old fishing books :-D
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:53pm
Great old photos Ian, thanks for sharing, regards Chris
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 6:35pm
Keep em coming mate,you have lots more
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:28pm
I need a break Ted!! Shocked It's hard work scanning, re-sizing, re-naming and posting. I should be getting royalties with my "Autobiography" LOL LOL Just having a few nibblys and a beer or two now... Thumbs Up
Fysshe
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:40pm
Ian, I have somewhat the same problem, except I haven't got the scanner connected, cos the software disappeared in the last move and not resurfaced yet Ermm

Take a break mate, you've earned one today Thumbs Up

Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:51pm
Great read, Ian.
Like flicking through old 'Fisho' magazines.
What was revolutionary back then, is old school now, but still works a treat, as displayed in 'Retro".
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:55pm
No, Don't let him take a break, ConfusedConfusedConfused he'll be on the back patio having nibblies and beers and then get into some of Joe Flints "Mysterious " brew , it's not a pretty picture a few hours later .LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:00pm
Effect like 'Body Lotion!' LOL
Anything with mysterious in the name, must be tried!
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:07pm
OOOOHHH Yeahhhh Body Lotion "in black " lap it up babyWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:08pm
You know me too well Shane!! It's bloody nice on the back patio at the moment, cool sea breeze, full moon just rising above the beach, curlews calling in the park!! Who'd want to be anywhere else?? No more of Joe Flints "Herbert River Stress Reliever" left, I used the last of it to kill an ant infestation!!! Dead
Fysshe
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:14pm
See everyone , see what it does to him ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked it even kills ants ,top brew that of Joes ,it should of been around years ago and we could of cured anything with it "or caused some problems " anyway have a nice evening young fella will be up that way after xmas .WinkClapClapClapClapClapClap
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:18pm
Thanks Shane, just to balance out the "Serenity", I've got Led Zep cranking on the boom box!! Cool
Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic