LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > 3D Printed Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Sanding / Polishing adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Sanding / Polishing adapter
    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:20pm
Hi All,

Wasn't really sure where to post this but as its 3D printed this is where it has landed.

I had a collection of lures that needed scratches removed from the polycarbonate bib`s ( What the #### was I thinking when I cleaned resin off them with a hard object - 40 badly scratched bib`s Cry )

Anyway was repairing them the other day and some only had minor scratches but found that I would accidently sand excess surface area when using strips of sandpaper, and the polishing also created heat marks if used the Dremel as its minimum speed is 5,000 rpm, and larger drill based buffer / polishers where driving me crazy so my little brain went to its own special place Confused and created a solution.

As you can see in the image above I designed some sanding / polisher adapters for an electric toothbrush that just push on / off and are ideal for sanding very small area`s as well as the cutting and buffing. I matched the adapter disc size`s to that of a hole punch for the smaller one and for the larger size I made a hole punch out of an old tent pole, just cut and beveled it and worked a treat. The toothbrush adapters prevented over sanding and hot spots due to its slower operating speed but still gave desired end result.

To attach either sandpaper or polishing clothe to the adapters I used double sided tap that is cut to size using the previously mentioned hole punches. 

Anyway just thought some of you may find it interesting for when doing those really small patch up jobs.

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:10pm
Love the lateral thinking - awesomeClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:18pm
Thanks,

3D printers are so under utilized, especially if for example you have a lure that needs some kind of modification, take a few pic`s, run through software programs to recreate digital 3D reconstruction of lure, make the changes to the file, print it out and test to see if further changes are required.

Great for making those bit`s n pieces that you just cant get in a store.

Cheers
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:50am
when hazmail (pete Rayna) sees this he will give top marks. he loves this sort of thinking. great idea. . . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:26pm
Thanks Mick,

My man cave is full of improvised creations to suit various things I required at the time.

Cheers
Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

when hazmail (pete Rayna) sees this he will give top marks. he loves this sort of thinking. great idea. . . . .mick

my first thoughts mick....then i read your commentClap
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Thanks Guy`s, for the positive feedback.

Can reduce / increase the pad on the bottom and the one that I use mostly has an interchangeable end pad, so just need the one adapter and can switch out sizes when required.

Will post another gadget version 2 within the next 30 mins once it finishes printing.

Cheers
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 9:14pm
Post removed - updating once finish todays creation
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:43am
Yep -I like it Steve, those interchangeable heads are a killer mate.
This ''big boy'' with your interchangeable heads could be a larger option too.
For polishing small bibs your tooth brush would be ideal though.
Pete
Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 1:03pm
Hey Pete years ago I got a couple of those oversized cleaning rotary brushes from Aldi.
Martin-

Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 3:15pm
Thanks Pete,

Got carried away and printed adapters for just about everything - I am my own worst enemy when it comes to okay I done that, now what about one of these and one of those and so forth.

And Pete if you want a particular sized adapter for your bigger version just pm me.

Cheers
Steve
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
Thanks Steve.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:20am
Great idea Steve, very useful! Clap
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:18pm
Thanks Tony,

Working on an ongoing surface lure project that started 5 years ago, and has been an off again on again project due to every stage creating a new problem to solve, just fix one issue and then that fix creates a totally different issue.

But we are getting there, testing prototypes work very well, the issue has all been around material choices as its a very far left field concept ( Just once would be nice to have an easy task ). Theoretically have resolved the biggest hurdle and now just finishing off streamlining the body design, the mechanics/ materials of the project was the killer - doesn't help when my idea of field testing for durability involves deliberately casting it at the base of a tree as hard as I can over and over again to identify any potential weak spots.Wacko

But man cave wall looks great as have each progress stage from original attempt through to now hanging up there, all 9 of them and finished design will make the 10th.

Cheers
Steve
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Lycan Lycan wrote:

Working on an ongoing surface lure project that started 5 years ago, and has been an off again on again project due to every stage creating a new problem to solve, just fix one issue and then that fix creates a totally different issue.

Sounds like the story of my life Steve Geek  research, design, build, test - Then repeat process ad infinitum ConfusedLOL

Always great to see such attention to ongoing improvement! Beer Cool
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:02pm
Steve, Steve, Steve 

What about your last lure that is perfect! Please dont put that on the back burner.

Cheers TB
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:49am
Hey TB,

Don`t worry my FT lure design is locked in and with its performance I am not changing the design, other then on the larger version I have worked out how to have a wire support for Bib into body for additional strength as per your suggestion.

HOWEVER me being me had to create a version that gives me all the additional strength of a molded wire BUT without the bib omega / eyelet whatever you want to call it being permanently positioned, ie : no bending left right required for any tuning as this new set up works just like your standard omega clip that easily moves from side to side and yes, I know - I know - I know - but still couldn't help tweaking it to get the both of best worlds. 

Cheers TB and thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Steve  aka " The Ideas Man " Wink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
Hey Lycan, how is your 3D lure printing venture going? 

This area hold an interest for me and I bet many others. About 4 years ago a mate from work ( before I retired) was trying this but gave up- he’s not a fisherman though
Martin-

Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
Hi Martin,

The current FT70 lure wont change at all, however I am working on an upsized version with a few modifications.

Have now started experimenting with printing a nylon type of filament which has solved an issue on my surface lure design which has been benched for the last 3 yrs, now I can begin finalizing a new prototype. 

The new material is fantastic stuff, it is firm but flexible and retains its memory, made a quick print prototype and then deliberately cast it into a solid gumtree 20 times and everything still as it should be so looking forward to having this surface lure completed.

My printers are mainly used for prototyping, but in the final design some lure components are printed.

Been using them quite a bit lately to create jig head master copies and surf popper designs for people that are starting to appreciate this skillset and contact me via word of mouth.

I will post video of surface lure water displacement once I am happy with the body design.

And yes TB I shall post one off to you once completed. Wink

Cheers
Steve
Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:04pm
Thumbs UpHeart
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:40am
Cool thanks for the update mate. As technology and materials change I suspect there will be more and more new and innovative things able to be made.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic