Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > SA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misplaced Minnow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misplaced Minnow
    Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:32pm
Today while looking for a small ABU killer for another collector I came acros this little minnow that I made 25years ago. I used to fish for trout in the Adelaide Hills with a mate. He had a REB2 500 in purple/silver that used to slay the raibows but I couldnt get my hands on one. So made this, used it once, caught a rainbow and retired it to the bottom of the box. QED
 Billj

The older I get the more I learn.
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:15pm
Very nice lure Bill. ClapClap
Have you got some more photos of your homemade lures?

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:13pm
G'Day Adrian There are already some posted here on various posts but can consolidate some photos somewhere. Off to see Cranky Monday week so might sit down and put some words and photos together with him. I have made 8 -10 variations of lure shapes & sizes mainly as a challenge to myself but have never really settled and made any quantity. Just what I wanted or a few requests from a couple of mates. The other day I found my templates,and just cut up a lump of jelutong!!!!!!!!!

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:21pm
will be great to see them unfold bill, keep us up to date.
That little trout lure is a beauty.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:25am
Winkmmm can i smell a cod lure coming out of that lot bilge? B.J.LOL
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
Looks like you've caught the bug again Bill, think all this lure talk has started it, same thing's happening to Carl I think.Wink
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:52am
Powelly I have even found my old bootmakers rasp so that is serious.

Billj
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:54am
BJ  cod lures are a way off, But there are some ideas fermenting. Billj
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:47pm
this looks very interesting,very interesting indeed!,bring em on bilgeThumbs Up
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:04pm

2011 / Number1  Undercoated and swum this aftrenoon.WinkWinkWink 
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:13pm
Bill, I have yours in the works, up to rough carving stage

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:59pm
Brad,
 They are looking good. Mine was a blank this morning, just got carried away and wanted to see if I could still get on the bike.
Billj
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by bilge bilge wrote:

Powelly I have even found my old bootmakers rasp so that is serious.

Billj
Bloody hell, Bill, I thought that I was the only 'stone mason' lure maker left on the planet.  Not the bootmakers rasp!Confused  Modern lure makers are now using stone axes.  Come on Bill, move with the times old fellaLOL.

I bought 200 Stanley knife blades last week.  Maybe, I could send a few across to you and you can lose the rasp back in the ancient history box.

Bill, it's good to see that you've got the bug again and I can't wait to see what a rasp shaped lure looks like.

Cheers

Travers
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:32pm
Travers,
 its about 2 posts up. Tried a knife but it quicker and more accurate and less dangerous with the rasp for me
 Bill
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by bilge bilge wrote:

Travers,
 its about 2 posts up. Tried a knife but it quicker and more accurate and less dangerous with the rasp for me
 Bill
I saw that lure, Bill, but when I couln't see any rasp marks in it I assumed that you must have pulled a 'swifty' on usShocked.  If I didn't have so many Stanley knife blades to use, I'd be hitting you up for some rasp lessons.  Nice looking lure, mate.  Love those massive trout minnows that you used to make.

I can see why you need to get the rasp out again.

Cheers & good luck on the Jacks

Travers
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:07pm
Travers More boot rasp monsters 330mm Billj I can tell you the make if you want WinkApproveSmile Billj
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:31pm
Gee Bill, I'm glad you didn't live in Tenterfield when I moved there in 1999!  Before then, I only made small trout lures and I thought Newelly's lures were absolute monsters.  Those big minnows are HUGEHug.  Beautiful looking lures, Bill.  I'd love to flick one of those around the Coolaburagundi River on 1kg line, in anticipation of a nice 3kg RainbowBig smile.
Good to see the old boot rasp has come out of retirement.ClapClap
Travers
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:56pm
Bill have you upgraded your ticket to allow for eccess luggage.
The Journey is the Reward

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:12pm
Barry, my case is almost empty on the way up. A spare pair of jocks I think unless there is anything you need. I have painted the new minnow it only needs eyes. Ok for the first of a new model. bill
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:40pm
I have a toothbrush for you Bill as well as Clothes and Tackle if we go fishing.
The Journey is the Reward

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:08pm
Bill,

Those lures look awesome ApproveApproveApprove
I am really impressed, now you have gotta put up a pic of this Boot Makers Rasp.
She must be a weapon.

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:46am
Number1 /2011 only need to dot the eyes.    WinkSmile Billj

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:02pm
G'day Adrian,
 I have attached a photo of the dreaded rasps. They were popular here in the days when the local bootmaker used to resole leather soled shoes. The older one is my grandfathers and is of german origin the newer one from Japan. Dont know if they are still available. They are easy to use to shape timber.

Just had a phone call from Barry! Good thing my case will be empty on the way up as he has been on a pillage mission down south he tells me and has at least one trailer load of lures for me to sort through. ( I wish)   WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink 

Billj
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
i saw one of those rasps at supercheap the other day,recon i'll go and buy one after seeing those
beautiful creations of yours Bill,just one question just how big are the lures that you posted up?(the group of three)ClapThumbs Up
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 1:36pm
Chris good to hear that you have seen one I will have a look there for another one myself
The bodies on the big lures were 330mm without bib.
Regards Billj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic