LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moldless minnow that catches all species!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moldless minnow that catches all species!
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:50pm
I had an idea a few years ago to thicken a plastic lure by dipping it in hot plastic. I wanted to add a clear coat that had different colored flakes rather than use some other method. But this dipping idea didn't catch on until I came up with an idea of how to make a minnow using a table spoon as the mold.

Hot plastic is poured into a tilted spoon insuring a razor thin tail at one end. I poured a second layer to thicken the body which holds the jig hook. I then took the sheet of plastic out of the spoon and cut the shape with a razor blade . The result is a minnow-grub that has the thinnest tail of any on the market and that quivers with the slightest motion. I call it the Quiver Tail minnow.

The spoon idea was okay, but only for making a few baits at a time. The idea hit me last year to use a glass tile or other smooth surface to form a sheet of plastic, cut out many shapes of different width, lengths and shapes, and then dip those in hot plastic.

Here is the sequence:
1. pour the hot plastic down an incline

2. cut out the form

(note: a second pour over the body area saves time before dipping)

3. dip in hot plastic 1/4-1/3 the length of the form, leaving the thinnest edge untouched  (the tail fin section).

Design ideas are unlimited and besides minnows, finesse worms, jig trailers and parts for lure mods can be made as well.

-

And all this from using an old spoon seven years ago......

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:53pm
Great pics.... well done!
cheers steiny
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:10pm
Mate that's the shisit there a great little item for the tackle box
What's been your main target species ?? And how did you get the colours on the back of the minnows in that second last pic ?
Is it a easy process

Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:35pm
Thanks Frank

Could it be made into a skirt and placed around a lead head, for a  Spinner bait.

Regards John

senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 12:56am
The uses of the minnow, rigs and species it catches are incredible.

The above 18 lb carp was unexpected (and tough to subdue using 6# test!!)61
I love fishing for crappie and white and yellow perch. The 2-3" are perfect rigged on a 1/16 or 1/32 oz.  jigs with #4 or #6 hooks. Many days I've caught more bass on the QT than other lures, with quite a few going over 3 lbs.

Here are a few more fun rigs I've caught panfish:

Tandem rig using a palamar knot and circle hook (drop shot style) and tie a small jig on the bottom of the leader (1-2'), lowered straight down in deeper water or under a float. Doubles happen all the time, even two species!

Simply use a jig under a bobber (stick type preferred).  I discovered this a few years a go when I had the rod resting on the side of the boat and a QT minnow hanging over in the water. As I was eating a sandwich, the rod tip bent down and I pulled in a fat 9" perch.

A child can catch fish instantly and easier than using live bait! My four year old grandson caught panfish and a bass the first time he fished.

Spike-It has the best dye and soft plastic paint. I use a pipe cleaner to swab on color and the paint (opaque coat) for eyes and patterns. Their marker is okay. I still have bottles of dye that are over 10 year old because a little goes a long way and the bottles seal nicely.

Made a version of a hula grub creature bait using sheet rubber attached with a candle:

Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 1:04am
Thanks Frank
Nice little critter lure there
Fish Choking Lures :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic