Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Eric Moller
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moller Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moller Info
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:52pm

I have been able to gather a bit more info on Eric's lures.

He started using the punched out bibs in Early 1969.
The punch was made by Bruce Glanville in Townsville after Bruce visited Eric in Cardwell and saw how he made his bibs.Eric used to cut them out with a pair of tinsnips then to put the bend in them he used a half piece of Bamboo with and old length of rifle barrell.Eric would cut the bib then place it in the semi-circle of the Bamboo then with his hand push the barrell down into the bamboo to achieve the desired concaveness.
Bruce being a toolmaker decided to make Eric a punch.
After it was made Bruce gave it to his Glassblower friend Tom Jenson who in turn took it to the University in Townsville and sharpened and hardened the cutting edges of the punch.
It is nice to keep finding out these little bits of info about Eric.
Hope you like it.
The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:14pm
Fantastic job on getting all that info Barry, Thank You! Clap

I especially enjoyed reading about the old rifle barrel and bit of bamboo - There's something special about such an ingenious solution using what you have on hand, good old Aussie "can do" at it's best Thumbs Up
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 3:50pm
Just a post script on this, as most know Westy Moller (Eric's son) passed away recently. When going through his possessions Bruce found the press Eric used and has arranged for it to come to him here in Darwin, when it does I'll take a few pictures and post up.

Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:53pm
very keen to see that TonyThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:38am
Follow-up from yesterday, I may have mislead everyone sorry about that. Bruce Moller visited yesterday and I questioned him in more detail. After Westy's passing, Bruce found a piece of old very heavy railway track, welded to this was the lever Eric used to put the CUP in the bibs, I stress the CUP shape only. It appears when Bruce Glanville made the bib punch die for Eric in 1969 (he was a toolmaker by trade in Townsville), he'd stamp out about 100 flat bibs on the die at a time, whenever Eric needed more. Bruce M said because Westy was then stationed in Townsville Police, they'd travel up every two weeks or so to Cardwell and deliver the bibs.
So it appears the bib punch always remained with Mr. Glanville, whether he only supplied Eric with bibs from this die, or others as well, is open to conjecture.
I've never personally seen evidence of any other FNQ makers with the notched bibs on their lures, if anyone on LL knows of any I'd be interested to see pictures.
After talking with BeesKnees he mentioned Bruce Glanville could possibly be still alive (he'd be very old if so) and last he heard living in Lucinda.
Watch this space for updates, I love a mystery .
Regards, Seaweed.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:15pm
Bruce Glanville is well and truly alive living in suburb adjacent to me. When I last visited him he showed Carl & I the "bib press" . Still fishes and crabs with a mate. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:02pm
Thanks Richard, next time you see him, would you mind asking if he supplied anyone else with bibs from Eric Moller's die? I'm summizing he had various dies for different bibs for different makers.
As you know Eric's bib die had a fault, which produced that notch on the front edge. As far as we can ascertain, he only stamped those bibs from zincanneal exclusively for Eric. Have never seen lures by other makers with this notch.
Seaweed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic