LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Hobby Is Trout Fishing!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hobby Is Trout Fishing!
    Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 2:43pm
Hi All
I went to visit a mate this morning.  He does a bit of fishing and collects gear as well - possibly more collecting!  I have seen his collection before but for the first time today, he showed me some books. He was very happy with this recent purchase from a local garage sale!  As the pics shows, it appears to be signed as well.  Anyway, I know nothing much about books - he apparently is never going to part with it!  I just thought I would put a pic up here!
cheers
Jim

murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 6:41am
Guess Peter has two mates named Jim.

That was a great pick-up for him.

Cheers, Jim
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 11:47am
cool, is it a first edition?
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 8:54pm
500 copies printed 1946
Wing Commander Wackett a WW1 pilot in Egypt who founded the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation
Book written in memory of his son a Squadron Leader fighter pilot
out of Darwin who was killed in WW2
Cheers, Jim
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 10:09pm
that's a great bit of history and its rare too,very nice!
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:41am
Wondering if there may be any SERIOUS fishing book collectors who are members of this lure collecting

forum.

Do the names Bob Dunn (Also wrote the definitive reel collecting book), Jim Findlay (Price Guides) and

Gordon Graham ( current owner of Bob's "Antiquarian Angler" business) mean anything to you?

As there does not seem to be a forum specifically for this pursuit I think it is time we all came out of the

closet and availed ourselves of this section that Tony has graciously made available.

Do you know about the Joseland Society meeting coming up in Melbourne in July?

Cheers,

Jim Bond
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 1:22pm
Jim, I am also a reasonably keen collector of fishing books, mostly about trout. I work as a lawyer in Sydney and years ago I had some matters with Bob Dunn when he was still working as an insolvency partner at Ernst & Young. I bought quite a number of books from Bob over time and got to know him reasonably well. He died way too young. I also bought a copy of Jim Findlay's book on Fishing Books and their value from Mike Stevens. It is kind of the abbreviated Stanley & Gibbons of Australian fishing books. Mike's company, Stevens Publishing, is based in Tsmaania and as you know probably the largest of the small volume publisher of fishing books in Australia. While I am not a member of the Joseland Society, I know that it is a Melbourne centric group for those interested in collecting fishing books. It organises periodic auctions of members' books, that in the past included the sale of Jock Grey's collection after his passing. I am a past president of the NSW Rod Fishers' Society, the fishing club that Howard Joseland, then a prominent Sydney a architect, founded (with others) in 1904. It still continues to function today in Sydney. Mick Hall, the fly tyer who writes for Freshwater Fishing wrote a piece a few months ago about the Joseland Society encouraging people to join. I received the e-mail from the Antiquarian Angler recently with details of a collection that he has just catalogued and is selling down. In terms of collectibility it is probably the best selection of books that he has had in some time. I am not sure where, if anywhere, this post will go but I will put together something on a few of the very small print run books that I have acquired as I think they would probably be of interest to LL members generally. Regards, Ken
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:53am
G'day Ken,

Well that's two of us at least.

I hear that Jim Findlay is going to be writing a column for Freshwater Fishing so that can only be good.

I reckon Frank Prokop's series in the magazine was one of the big drivers of lure collecting.

I had a bit of contact with Bob and after his estate auction in Melbourne I drove up to Sydney and purchased a lot of leftovers from his widow. My car was so loaded I was spotlighting possums all the way home.

Cheers, Jim
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:00am
I came across some  N S W Fish and Wildlife Gazette (Journal of the N S W  Institute of Freshwater Fisherman small mags) from late 60's to early 70's.

Price 6cents

Some interesting ads , book reviews, and articles with  black and white photos for the period.

Shall place some pictures of the front pages here, when the sun returns.

Regards John
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:02am
Time to resurrect this post - this is one of my favourite books and lucky to own a copy.

Jim apart from lures I have secretly been collecting books too . . .

MXB
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:33am
Those that have an interest in collecting older Fishing books  may locate what they are chasing on a face book site I have been told about.

There is a Face book group that are devoted to discussing Australian Fishing Books.

If you understand how to play in that arena.

Regards John
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 1:16am
Yep its a great page John

MXB
Steve Burke View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Burke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 3:28am
Although I'm a keen UK lure angler I found this site via Google.  I've a copy of My Hobby is Trout Fishing by Wing Commander Wackett and was going to ask where would be the best place to sell it.

It looks to be in somewhat better condition than the one above.  If anyone's interested I'd be happy to post photos.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 9:42am
Hi Steve

Passed your details onto a mate of mine that collects trout books.

matt.evans1971@gmail.com>

He is not on Lurelovers he asked me to send you his email address for photos and a bit more info.

I am Screamingreel  have put up a lot of old info on lures from my early Australian fishing Mags I have collected from the late 40's.

Have not been as active on the site in recent years.

Now retired and live 8 klms From lake Eucumbene (trout Territory )  one of our Hydro dams which when full (not that often) is 9 times the size of Sydney harbour.

Fly fish during summer , plenty of spinning not much with Devons now a days used them more in rivers when the white bait came into spawn in Tasmania

Have my own metal  jig to make brass and copper Devons.

Bought some wooden Devons from UK in the 80's  never seen them before made out of wood.

All ours are plastic / metal.

Recently bought five Devons  off Ebay very rare only had one wing and a slot up the side to carry an additional treble.

Not aware that they were ever released to the public.  ( Perhaps swimming problems)

Keen to try out and see how they swim when weather improves.

regards    John Eales
Steve Burke View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Burke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 8:15pm
Many thanks indeed, John.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 8:36pm
G'day John, good to hear you're still active! Probably a tad cool down there at the moment. Cheers Ian...
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 8:29am
Hi Ian
Aged and active.

It never occurred to me I was getting old.

Until someone brought it to my attention this year.

I continue being very active on a good day (weather wise) collecting . cutting two large trailer loads
of dried wood off a farm in the area and stacking it when I get home.

-8 .7 C  here yesterday heavy  frost

Browns are starting to show up most lack condition. A nice 2.7kg landed  by a visitor on bait recently full of yabbies probably early spawner came back sat on a yabby bed and gorge herself.
Lake already rising very  early for this time of the year.
Locals will probably commence fishing more seriously around early to mid August subject to the weather.

Regards  John
(The Trout Whisperer)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic