Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my trip south this year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my trip south this year
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:29pm
HI  EVERYBODY. 
I know I said I was going to regularly post about my trip south this year. But the truth is, I didn't spend as much time fishing as what I thought I was going to. I spent most of my time meeting and re-meeting friends and family along the way as well as venturing to those (most of ) places that I always wanted to go on previous trips but didn't have the time to on my short time frames away from work. 

At Townsville I spent Easter with a mate and his family at the family home. Rod (Fishlips from RS Lures) and his brother Dave were up from Albury and Wodonga visiting their terminally ill mother. Dave said that he was selling his boat, a 4.6 metre Formosa, near new 60 hp Honda 4 stroke, side console and a whole heap of extras for a very very nice price. When I got down to Wodonga I took the boat for a 2 day test drive on Lake Hume (126 hours on the clock and all fresh water work). When I took it back to him I wrote him a cheque and told Dave that I will pick up the boat on my way back north from South Aust.

I won't go too far into details as there wasn't many fish caught on lures for a while.
Here is a little Aust salmon caught from Mark A Lures back yard-

A nice brown trout of about 35 cm from Tantangara on a gold blade lure (thanks for the info John - Screamingreel - who showed me around the general areaClap)

I met up with Chris Sinclair and Ollie Hardt (second catch up) at Ebor trout fishing with Ollie's son Jake for the Qld May Day long week end. I got a little brown on a Mark A Lure - water flea. The lure fell out of the fish's mouth before I could snap a photo and I felt it was better to flip the fish back into the water then to pose it for a shot. On this week end I also scored 14 trout - browns and rainbows - all on the flies that Chris tied, including one on a dry fly. These were my first fly caught troutClap

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:52pm
Tinny looks good Martin 👍😁
Cheers Steve R!!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:01pm
Continuing on-
on the way into Queensland I annoyed Nicho (again) and we went for an overnight camp / fish at his local spot. However there was a run in he water from some heavy rain a few days beforehand so conditions were far from ideal - nothing caught but it was relaxing to just float down the river in the kayaks.
Here is Nicho with Lucy-

I spent a couple of days on Peter Faust Dam, days after the cold snap went through. I received to massive hits but no hook up. Here is a photo of a sunset - when fishing fails, take a photo of a sunsetLOL

Further north as I was approaching Home Hill, my car started swaying but checking the mirrors, my boat and trailer were fishing tailing all over the road at 90 kilometres per hour. My rear vision camera showed that the trailer coupling was still hooked up. I let the whole rig slow to a stop. Upon inspection, the draw bar had broken clean off and the only way the 2 parts of the trailer were connected was by the brake cables which also activated the trailer's brakes - which kept strain on the back part of the trailer keeping the front of it up off the road. If I had braked suddenly, I was told by the RACQ tow truck driver that the back section would had dug into the road and quite possibly flipped over onto my car.

Both tyres were ruined by the severe fish tailing

There was a crack in the draw bar under a U bolt that helped to attach the winch post. Nobody - myself, Rod or Dave, knew or could see this crack. The bad Australian roads caused a constant flexing at this crack until it broke the draw bar. (Rusted crack and the top of the bar and new fatigued metal on the sides and bottom of the bar)

I pick up my repaired trailer and boat tomorrow.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by hooknose hooknose wrote:

Tinny looks good Martin 👍😁
Cheers Steve R!!!

Very pleased with the boat - almost exactly what I wanted. With a little bit of fiddling it will be idealClap
Martin-

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:52am
Some beaut spots and people Martin Big smile

Bummer about the trailer, although as you say it could have been a lot worse. Sounds like a great boat, I'm sure it won't be long until you give it a good protective coating of fish slime! Cool
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:29am
Martin you will understand it's not the size that´s matters if we stod next to each other
Really glad you got hold of it all when the trailer broke down
Thanks for another good report

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:32am
Great fishing Martin and lucky about the trailer not doing anymore damage.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:48am
i'm checking my old boat trailer now Martin!Shocked
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:54am
more pics from eborBig smile

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:55am
thats a 30cm trout Martin is a big lad
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:56pm
Thanks for that weekend Ollie and Chris. Other people I have to thank that are on site or were on site are Aaron Young, George Horvarth, Peter Rayner, Ray Murphy, Richard Lee, Murray Cod for all of your time me and hospitality. Hey mate
Martin-

scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:52am
looks like a great trip martin apart from your trailer issues ,glad your alright mate,cheers Ed

Ed.McC
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:18pm
2 weeks early mate, rivers slowed down, colors green, nows the time!! Bugga..next time.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic