LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my yearly trip north

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my yearly trip north
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:55pm
This year I have 3 weeks and 4 days off for my trip up the cape. Things are a little different this year in that a few families are coming along. The plan is to get the kids up to the northern most tip first up then to camp and fish at a few destinations on the way back over 2 weeks. I have a week to get to Cooktown , the tip trip, then 6 days to get back.

Most of those coming haven't been much past Lakefield National Park and want to get to the tip before the Development Road is too far sealed letting in all of the yahoos ruining the place. We will still get a lot of fishing in, but I don't know if we will take them to some of our secret spots.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:05pm
Still sounds like a winner.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:37pm
you do have room for another passenger don't you martinBig smile..........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:31pm
If you haven't been up here for a while you'll be amazed at how much of the road has been sealed this year.
Dan
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:23am
martin
have a great trip ,,,,, hope you have a blast & catch heaps ,,, & score a few lures along the way !!
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:40am
Tough life...im jealous
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:03am
Enjoy Martin, sounds like a great adventure. I am also very jealous! 

Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:51am
i better get those Marty minnows finished for you then mateWink
that's no how ye make porridge!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:24pm
Plenty of photos Please Martin
Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:30pm
Still plenty of idiots on both OTL and bypass roads!!!! I'm also heading up there in next couple of weeks but I rarely go further north than Heathlands. When are you going, school holidays?

Cliff
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

i better get those Marty minnows finished for you then mateWink

ClapClapClapHELL YEAHClapClapClap
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Plenty of photos Please Martin

Will do johnClap. With nearly 4 weeks off this time I should be able to strike some good weather unlike the last couple of years.
Martin-

madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:57pm
Better drop them Lucinda Lures in on ya way for safe keeping.....now where is that home address of yours while your away the lure collectors can play find & seek.....
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:59pm
oh Horror a lot of them said yahoo`s own 4x4`s & live up that way.....
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Thunderbolt Thunderbolt wrote:

Still plenty of idiots on both OTL and bypass roads!!!! I'm also heading up there in next couple of weeks but I rarely go further north than Heathlands. When are you going, school holidays?

Cliff

Yes school hols to take the kiddies up to the tip. 

I know about the idiots (been done by one a few years back). Last year I ran off the road to avoid a couple of fools. One turkey was in a Land Rover towing going sideways around a sharp bend with his camper trailer nearly overtaking him - just as well there was a large shoulder on this bend.
Martin-

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:20pm
Better get that Archer Mad Dog  lure started thenStern Smile 

Cheers
Dave
Life is fishing!
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:25pm
You better have a full esky of mothers for the idiotsLOL

Cheers
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Better get that Archer Mad Dog  lure started thenStern Smile 

Cheers
Dave

ClapClapthat'll workClapClap
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:32pm

Cheers
Dave

Better take 3 cartons, 1 for the trip up, one to drink, and one for the trip backConfused
Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:56pm
Sounds like a great trip mate,hope all goes as planed for you
Cheers Kimo
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Cheers
Dave

Better take 3 cartons, 1 for the trip up, one to drink, and one for the trip backConfused

61you won't have room, just leave one kid home LOL
Don't worry about us (Darren,Chris and me) we just plan the next fishing tripLOL
Life is fishing!
morro31 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morro31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 11:06am
I think your right Dave , might have to make it up there next year .Before they take horrorheads licence of him for being to (OLD) Confused and he makes me drive him up there lolClap
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by morro31 morro31 wrote:

I think your right Dave , might have to make it up there next year .Before they take horrorheads licence of him for being to (OLD) Confused and he makes me drive him up there lolClap

You got to get to my age first Mr Sorri son ........ I mean Mr MorrisonTongue.

Started sorting out my fishing gear to take up. Here are some of the lures that are going on the trip (some never to return). Depending on what the conditions are like while we are there, and depending on where we are going to camp (some new ground  for us), there will be a percentage that don't get a swim.

I also bought another Fin Nor Lethal reel but this time an 80 - one size smaller then to 100 I recently bought. (Thanks to David Love for a review site - Alan Hawk testing spinning reels) Alan Hawk rates the Fin Nor Lethal 100 as having a better drag then the Van Staal equivalent in smoothness and his testing pulls the drag at over 50 lb.  The line issue I had with the 100 model was just that I needed another washer under the spool (2 extra washers supplied), this meant that the braid laid better on the spool.

So now I have my heavy and my medium lines sorted. Now to work on the light lines. Might have to take some reels with me to see if I can destroy them Big smile.
Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 4:12pm
Packing light this year mate.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:19pm
LOLLOLLOL
Martin-

morro31 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morro31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
Hmm I`m thinking that maybe to much for a birthday present ... then again you are on mangers wages , so ok I will take them all .Thanks Horrorhead .
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:56pm

Hmm I`m thinking that maybe to much for a birthday present ... then again you are on mangers wages , so ok I will take them all .Thanks Horrorhead .

We will go in halvesLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Cheers
MMD
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:25pm

And you are on a massive bonus scheme - if you turned up for work you would be able to earn even more big bucks and shout me a lure or 3.

Sorry to say Mr Sorrison, but these are mine - you'll have to get your birthday pressie off AlisonWinkWink
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

And you are on a massive bonus scheme - if you turned up for work you would be able to earn even more big bucks and shout me a lure or 3.

Sorry to say Mr Sorrison, but these are mine - you'll have to get your birthday pressie off AlisonWinkWink

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkClapClapClapClapClapClapOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

MDD
Life is fishing!
morro31 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morro31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 4:04pm
Angry  We could make a bonus if you mangers got people working , not talking and holding me up !!!Angry
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 6:02pm
Gotta get a couple more managers yet - you gunna apply????
Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:07am
I recently returned from a 3 month trip, made a few mistakes
1 Took far to much gear
Travelling with a slide on camper on the ute and an 5.500 metre boat on the back, most of the gear was transported in the boat. To stop and use the boat this translated to a day to put down, set up and unload the boat and another day to pull down and load up again. Throw in some windy rainy weather and it meant a lot of great fishy free camp places were bypassed because of the time and work involved
Lesson learnt, take everything you will need but keep it as light and simple as possible
Probably did not need that info, but we all sometimes need to be reminded.
Cheers Kimo
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:02pm
Great piece of advise , we are all guilty of above situations.
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic